How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2018, 03:45 PM

Default Avid Pro Compressor vs. Dyn III Compressor

Hi there,

How are your experiences with comparing those two. Except for PC looking vastly better than Dyn III I couldn‘t find any situation where old ugly Dyn III couldn‘t do the job exactly as well.

I did several shoot outs with spoken word, with some unruly soundeffects and also a slight overall loudness range compression on a 5.1 film full mix.

They both react a little different with the same settings but I couldn’t find any better or worse.
Both do it.

Is the PC just another placebo fueled plug-in or are there certain scenarios that I‘ve missed so far?
Looking forward to examples that for me would justify the 100.- extra for PC. (I‘m familiar with the specs and features so far.)

I’d so love to be convinced.

Last edited by Nick Camaron; 09-11-2018 at 04:52 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Avid Pro Compressor vs. Dyn III Compressor

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/vid...pro-compressor

Follow the above url for a review of the Pro Compressor. On the face of it, any/every compressor plugin does essentially the same thing. But, when you start digging deeper and trying different compressor plugins on different source, you'll start to learn why its good to have options The side-chain options and wet/dry mix put the Pro-C in a different class

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-16-2018, 10:45 AM

Pro Comp is now my go to for dialog. I believe I read that it's it's based on the same System 5 algorithm as the Channel Strip but with more features like Wet/Dry and multiple detection modes.

When you did your test did you play woth the different detection modes on the Pro Comp? They yield very differnt results and give the Pro Comp much more versatility. I'm 95% using the Wedt/Dry mix

Also one feature Dyn comp is missing that I find very useful on Pro Comp is the depth control.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:07 AM

I'm a little surprised I'm the first one to mention this, but has anyone else noticed the GUI problems with Dyn3 since like version 11? On every computer I've tried, every version of PT from 11 onwards - HD, HD Native, Standard, pc's, mac pro, mac mini, everything. Adjusting any parameter in Dyn3 compressor and expander/gate makes the GUI get all jumpy, basically unusable. You can definitely still hear the effect of changing the settings, but the meters are useless. As such, I've gotten quite used to ProCompressor!