Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 02:51 PM

Default Backwards Compatibility?

Forgive me if this strikes you as a brainless question. My familiarity with Protools is limited.

Onto the goods--Currently, I record at a commercial studio which utilizes an older Protools Mix setup. I'm unsure as to the exact version of the software they use.

Anyway, I've recently come into some extra money and I'm considering purchasing a Protools HD rig, which I believe comes with the 6.7 software. My purpose for doing so would be to provide myself with the ability to work on previously recorded studio sessions at home, and vice versa. As I'm sure the studio uses an older version of the protools software, I'd like to know if sessions created on the HD rig would be backwards compatible with the Mix system and accompanying software.

If anyone could shed some light on the subject for me it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Backwards Compatibility?

All session files for Pro Tools 5.1 and later can be freely exchanged -- additional info for features in 6.7 like color coding will be dropped when the session is resaved on an earlier Pro Tools version. To save as an earlier version use the Save Session Copy In... function.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 12-02-2004, 03:19 PM
Avid

Default Re: Backwards Compatibility?

On top of what Rail rightly suggested, make sure the "Mix user" has all the latest plug-ins for their system.

Lastly, when preparing a sessoin copy for he/she, inquire on their TDM/LE and interface (surround or stereo) conditions.

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."