Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2021, 11:35 AM

Default PT Perpetual Reinstatement Q's

Wondering if anyone here knows the question to this answer because I can't find a clear answer for this. Regarding perpetual licenses - does anyone know if you are able to run older versions of Pro Tools if you re-instate on a future date? Lets say I have an older computer with license that expired with 2020.9 on it, and the last version that is compatible with that machine's OS is PT 2021.12 and I get a new Macbook Pro in 2022 and then I reinstate the license in 2022, can I use 2021.12 on the old computer even though I re-instated the license in 2022?

Thanks! Hope this is clear!
Old 12-31-2021, 02:07 PM

Default Re: PT Perpetual Reinstatement Q's

This is the same question I have as I consider purchasing the reinstatement. Paid for 2021 and didn't use the updates but also don't want to lose the ability to open older versions as I just learned you surrender your prior perpetual license. Looking forward to hearing a response.
Old 12-31-2021, 03:48 PM

A Reinstatement (or Upgrade sold during Dec 2021) provides a bundle of licenses that will authorize v10 up through the Release Limit date on that license (seen in the Details for a perpetual license/bundle in iLok License Manager). That 'end' date should match up with your Software Updates + Support Plan in my.avid.com/products or Avid Link > Products > Pro Tools > License. The license is perpetual (non-expiring) but can only run versions released up through that date. Hope that helps!
Old 12-31-2021, 04:15 PM

AFAIK, and jeffro please correct me, but if you buy your Reinstatement from Avid, the clock on your one year of Upgrades & Support starts when the license is deposited in your MyAvid Acoount, ie, it's activated at that time. So if you want to keep the Reinstatement and activate it at a time of your choosing, purchase it from an Avid Reseller as that will only be activated when you enter the code in your MyAvid Account. But you better hurry, because Reinstatements are gone at the end of today, December 31, 2021.

That said, I have to assume that savvy Resellers will have stockpiled these Reinstatements like they did at the end of 2019 when Avid cut off Reinstatement sales then. But like then, they won't last forever and are gone when sold out until Avid brings them back, but there is no guarantee they will.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 12-31-2021, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
...if you buy your Reinstatement from Avid, the clock on your one year of Upgrades & Support starts when the license is deposited in your MyAvid Acoount, ie, it's activated at that time...
Correct. See avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/FAQ/FAQs-1-Year-Upgrade-with-Software-Updates-Support-Plan-2021 which should answer this and more.
Old 12-31-2021, 04:37 PM

Thank you!