Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2015, 02:11 AM

Default What do you think, is it time for Avid to concentrate on Pro Tools strengths?

Yes, It is!!!!!!!

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...ools-strengths

Old 06-10-2015, 03:57 AM

Default Re: What do you think, is it time for Avid to concentrate on Pro Tools strengths?

When you read this - and can see the (rapid) advances other platforms are making - it makes you wonder (well....'me' wonder anyway) - "Have I backed the wrong horse all these years?"

Why do we put up with it? It is like being married to a serial abuser!

Is there therapy available??
Old 06-10-2015, 03:59 AM

Default What do you think, is it time for Avid to concentrate on Pro Tools strengths?

Old, old news.. No serious pro music producer/arranger has ever seen ProTools as a go-to music creation tool. Not even back in the day.. You track, mix and do all forms of post + video in ProTools. For music creation, MOTU, Logic Cubase and in recent years Ableton.

One exception.. If all you ever need to do is add some midi horns or strings to existing live tracks then ProTools does just fine if all your sample libraries are in Reason/Kontakt/Vienna Ensemble or another sample playing plug-in.

If you need to do everything from drums and bass in midi all the way up / then PT is not the tool. Never really has been, though.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:37 AM

Default Re: What do you think, is it time for Avid to concentrate on Pro Tools strengths?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
Old, old news.. No serious pro music producer/arranger has ever seen ProTools as a go-to music creation tool. Not even back in the day.. You track, mix and do all forms of post + video in ProTools. For music creation, MOTU, Logic Cubase and in recent years Ableton.

One exception.. If all you ever need to do is add some midi horns or strings to existing live tracks then ProTools does just fine if all your sample libraries are in Reason/Kontakt/Vienna Ensemble or another sample playing plug-in.

If you need to do everything from drums and bass in midi all the way up / then PT is not the tool. Never really has been, though.
Really??! Does Avid know?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT.jpg (21.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-10-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowthert View Post
Really??! Does Avid know?
Sadly.. No. But what do you expect them to say in their ads like you posted there?
Old 06-10-2015, 08:33 AM

i work with several composers as a tech and fellow writer .. since 1999 they have all used Only Pro Tools for Composing .. (one of them had Logic for Midi and Pro Tools for audio running on the same computer - IAC bus sync and all that) ... pain in the Arse, that did not last too long .. now PT only .. one uses Kontakt, one uses vienna but not VEP and the 3rd - i do not work with him anymore so not sure what samppler he uses now .. but he still uses PT ..

so there is 3 .. and they make things you have heard ..

i can see the argument for using cubase or logic or ableton or ... for composing and PT for audio, mixing, post etc ..

but you can do all in PT .. and the midi is getting better ..

we actually need a NEw Midi Standard for lower latency ... midi over ethernet .. and re-make the midi standard to give more velocities, etc ...

just my .02

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 06-10-2015, 08:59 AM

http://www.midi.org/aboutus/news/hd.php
Old 06-10-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
we actually need a NEw Midi Standard for lower latency ... midi over ethernet ..

I wonder if avid will ever release a ethernet interface....that is the new Frontier

I wonder if they will ever give up the digilink connector
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:47 AM

Re Composing
I beg to differ. I just use Pro Tools now. I just wrote the music for 15 songs in PT. All that was given to me was an a cappella vocal track sung on an iPhone by a very good jazz/pop singer. It actually came out pretty damn good and better than the singers previous studio efforts. Lot's of factors of course.
I wrote and produced my own 9 song disc for a local radio contest. It had to be done in 28 days (February). There were 3 rock songs with vocals. Those were done with metronome and guitar first and sometimes a scratch vocal. The rest of the tunes were fairly intricate instrumentals mostly VIs.
I started out on Atari, Dr T's, then Logic 1.7.
Logic does have excellent notation features but I still relied on midi editors for composing. I think Logic looks like crap now and is cluttered for some reason. Logic 5 on pc had such a simple arrange page. I think I could make Logic X more usable to me with some adjustments.
I think it's safe to say that whatever tools you use is best for you. What can't I do in Pro Tools other than good notation other than toying around? That's what Sibelius is for.
Regarding Avid: They are basking in S6 for now but I'm a little faithful that they are working hard on a big update. :-|
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
i work with several composers as a tech and fellow writer .. since 1999 they have all used Only Pro Tools for Composing .. (one of them had Logic for Midi and Pro Tools for audio running on the same computer - IAC bus sync and all that) ... pain in the Arse, that did not last too long .. now PT only .. one uses Kontakt, one uses vienna but not VEP and the 3rd - i do not work with him anymore so not sure what samppler he uses now .. but he still uses PT ..

so there is 3 .. and they make things you have heard ..

i can see the argument for using cubase or logic or ableton or ... for composing and PT for audio, mixing, post etc ..

but you can do all in PT .. and the midi is getting better ..

we actually need a NEw Midi Standard for lower latency ... midi over ethernet .. and re-make the midi standard to give more velocities, etc ...

just my .02

cheers john
And here is a forth who ONLY uses PT for sessions from start to end and have been doing so for over 7 years.

And believe me, we make stuff you have heard too many times and some you wish you could get out of your head

So whenever we work with fellow DJ's and Avicii wannabees we use PT as much as possibe. Own all the usual suspects like LogicX/Nuend/Cubase/Studio One 2 and now 3/Reaper/Ableton Live and many more unfortunately and not one time ever have we felt the need to crossbreed any of them.

True we need to do some workarounds here and there with the midi production part of the productions but rather do them than trying to make two DAW's to play nicely together.

And to add to that list 3+4 here and atleast 10 other major producers who only use PTHD for everything.

This is of course IMNSHO and others will say it is impossible to use PT only but that would be their opinions just like we have ours

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————