Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2009, 05:38 PM

Default C24/002 or c24 HD1?

ok guys easy on this old cat...,been running c24 w 002 for a while i can record up to 18 tracks at once(D-sub 1-8 from c24 to analog 1-8 on 002----then 9-16 from c24 to ADC to ADAT in to 002).....been thinking to shell out for a basic HD1 w 96 I/O . can i record at least 16 tracks at once w this set up?? or please feel free to talk me out of it......again am i lil burned out with LE's lack of ADC etc

ya feel me?????

thanks for your invaluable input.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:25 PM

Default Re: C24/002 or c24 HD1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro perez View Post
ok guys easy on this old cat...,been running c24 w 002 for a while i can record up to 18 tracks at once(D-sub 1-8 from c24 to analog 1-8 on 002----then 9-16 from c24 to ADC to ADAT in to 002).....been thinking to shell out for a basic HD1 w 96 I/O . can i record at least 16 tracks at once w this set up?? or please feel free to talk me out of it......again am i lil burned out with LE's lack of ADC etc

ya feel me?????

thanks for your invaluable input.
Gonna need an interface of some sort. The 192 w an AD expansion card is good, or a couple of 96i/os, or even less expensive.... a 96 i/o and digimax FS, but that limits you to 48k, but you are used to that with LE
Once you go HD you will not regret. Buy used... SB
Old 09-12-2009, 09:44 AM

after reading some on this forum on the subject i came across Mr Peppertree's posts

"The M-Audio Profire 2626 offers me a DSP cue mixer with 8 aux sends, running at THE IDENTICAL latency to your PTHD system. So I have the same low-latency cue mixing capability you do (albeit with a few less channels available)."

is Digi really gonna drop HD at some point(2010)?

read on....
I think the chips are more like 10 years old...

And that's not what I'm seeing for an HD replacement.

What I'm seeing is a fully decrippled LE!

Which has add-on cards for various i/o and sync etc. connectivity.

So there will be an ambus card that they will try to sell those with legacy 192i/o's and 3rd party things. This card will be priced in a way to make you consider ditching those converters anyway...depends on your susceptibility to the "sunk cost trap."

There will be a MADI card and the new converter boxes from Digi will have open standard MADI interfaces and they'll try to sell those to people who don't even use Pro Tools too. They will have MADI/AES/ADAT conversion as well as MADI/Analog.

There will be a sync card for fancy video work.

And each of these cards will have a bit of DSP acceleration on them...but none of them will run TDM plugins!

The whole system will run native on the host CPU with 64 bit floating point audio, and the argument will be it's totally future proof...."You will never need to throw your cards out again!" (Like you will with those archaic HD cards. )

The DSP acceleration will run the OpenCL bytecode meaning that the plugins you buy for it will also run on spare cycles in your video card. The coding of those plugins will be industry standard...and Pro Tools may in fact run Audio Unit plugins directly, with no wrapper! In most cases, the i/o card-based DSP acceleration is just there for foldback latency reasons...and latencies will be less than half that of what you got with TDM plugins in realtime.

There may also be a dedicated DSP card offered that doesn't feature i/o but provides insane amounts of crunch...in the teraflops. You could just add another typical video card, but the digi-branded one "will be supported." (And better be for $2495! )

The software itself will cost $1995 and will run just fine on LE-level interfaces if you own the Complete Extortion Toolkit (which is the same price, and in fact, the same product!). You'll get total portability of your sessions with no hiccups or need to change plugin formats (as long as the underlying platform supports that plugin format, which is a reason they may stick with RTAS as their only format). Provided you have enough DSP to run it...which won't be terribly rare as OpenCL is going to run on laptop video accelerators etc. On Mac, the software will require Intel and Snow Leopard.

The system will run unpartitioned for the most part, meaning you don't need to worry about rearranging TDM chip allocations, and don't need to worry about using up voices etc. There'll be a far better delay compensator which doesn't ever need to be turned off and doesn't have a size limit. It will automatically correct for any hardware you might be using for sample-accurate phase.

The cost structure, $1995 for the software, $795 for the Ambus card, $995 for the MADI card, and $2995 for the video sync card and its breakout box will be breakthrough values for high end Pro Tools. There will be no need for a "mid-level Pro Tools" as high and mid will be identical...it will just be a matter of how much i/o and DSP you need. They will hope to sell the 64 channel MADI/Analog converters for $4995 to make up some of the lost profits, and of course Icon control surfaces and possibly storage solutions.

All to launch at AES 2010.

Anyway that's my current forecast reading the tea leaves. I may be totally, wildly off about what they are doing. But that's what makes the most sense to me and would be consistent with everything they have already done.

Cheers.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:34 PM

From what I have read, an LE system on a well-built quad core will be quite a bit more powerful than HD1. Another thing to consider is; the 96IO doesn't sound any better than the LE interfaces. The 192IO uses better converters and most HD users will tell you it sounds much better(and is worth the extra cash). My opinion only, but HD3 with a 192 IO is the minimum you need to be happy with HD. Other opinions are always welcome.
BTW, if you go LE, get the rack version of the 002/003. The controller version will force you to live with the first 8 tracks showing up on the 002/003.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-12-2009, 12:49 PM

Yeah, my opinion is if ur gonna go HD, it should @ least be 3... Otherwise, if u don't do over 18i/o on average it's not worth it to especially only do HD1; U will be highly disappointed... U'd even lose out on trackcount somewhat...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 09-12-2009, 05:44 PM

what am really interested is the abillity to create custom cue mixes for band members,ADC ,i have no care in the world for DIGI pres as i will true bypass them...how can i do that w LE?
Old 09-12-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
Yeah, my opinion is if ur gonna go HD, it should @ least be 3... Otherwise, if u don't do over 18i/o on average it's not worth it to especially only do HD1; U will be highly disappointed... U'd even lose out on trackcount somewhat...
sound like i should rather invest on "total extortion" kit LOL and get an 8 core mac
Old 09-12-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro perez View Post
sound like i should rather invest on "total extortion" kit LOL and get an 8 core mac
Workin for me; PC i7 with the kit... More than enough; & mind u @ my Nashville studio, its HD3 & I almost don't like even workin on that now because I feel limited actually...Just me though...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 09-13-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
Workin for me; PC i7 with the kit... More than enough; & mind u @ my Nashville studio, its HD3 & I almost don't like even workin on that now because I feel limited actually...Just me though...
PLEASE TELL WHY? limited w HD3?

i rarely go above 48 audio tracks..but still no way to give the band their own cue mix on LE.. but the cost of new HD1 is just OBSCENE
Old 09-13-2009, 11:58 AM

When I take my sessions from here to my Nashville spot, I can hardly open anything... I average 20+ auto tunes on my sessions to pocket my voc tracks... that alone, I can't even open on the HD rig... I really don't even wanna get started on that... & as for phone mixes, I do 4 mixes all the time from my rack & can do much more but 4 is usually more than enough...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY