Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2003, 12:27 PM

Default Converting a SDII file from mac format to pc..HELP

hello all,
i am on away from home at the moment and have a bunch of my pro tools sessions saved on mac that i would like to access on my associates system except the problem is that he runs pt on a win98pc ( :P )( )
is there a way to convert a mac session to a pc session??? i really hope so..
help appreciated
thx...
p.s. he is currently running the 32 track version of pt on his pc..
Old 11-05-2003, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Converting a SDII file from mac format to pc..HELP

I think you just have to Import Session data and the files will automatically convert to .bwf ( .wav) I interchange .aiff all the time with no problem. Try it. If you see 20 posts after this, you'll know I was wrong.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 11-05-2003, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Converting a SDII file from mac format to pc..HELP

Not possible to be running the 32 track version under Win 98 so your friend is either running 5.3 or higher under Win XP or version 5.1.1 or below. Also, they're not AIFF files Cliffy, they're SDII. Not sure if Rail's Header Investigator will handle SDII files, but if you do a search for it you can download it and find out. Also, if they are SDII files, the "Enforce Mac/PC Compatibility" button was not checked, if it was available. There have been a couple of other posts about this problem on the Windows Forum, so a search may help you out.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-05-2003, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Converting a SDII file from mac format to pc..

From the Mac, use the "Save session copy as" command, enforce the Mac/PC compatibility, and choose either wav or sif file type. Save all files, and your PC friend will have no problems.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Converting a SDII file from mac format to pc..

from Paul at Digidesign:

Quote:
There's a few possibilities, depending on which version of ProTools you're coming from and going to, and what kind of media you're dealing with.

First off, the Mac session needs to have been created with Mac/PC compatibility turned ON (PT 5.1 and above). If it wasn't, then you can do a "Save Session Copy In..." and specify Mac/PC Compatibility for the copy.

Then you need to get it to the PC - many ways to do this. You're on OSX, and the Mac and the PC are on the same network, you can use the Mac's SMB (Windows-style) networking to transfer the session folder and audio over to the PC. If it's on an external hard drive, you can plug that into the PC and use MacOpener from Dataviz to mount the hard drive. For info on MacOpener
Click here: http://www.dataviz.com/products/macopener/index.html

If it's in an older session format (pre-5.1) and is on a hard drive or Mac CD, and you can't convert the session to a Mac/PC compatible one, you can import the tracks and media from the Mac drive using Import Session Data/Import Tracks.

Does that help?

Paul Vercellotti
Digi Engineering

-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12