Old 03-13-2013, 03:51 PM

Question Routing question ?

All my PT sessions start with my basic template. This consists of :-

Drums all routed to a drum aux which is then routed to a main sub mix

Guitars all routed to a guitar aux then routed to a main sub mix

Bass GTR routed to a Bass GTR sub mix then routed to a main sub mix

Lead Vox routed to a L Vox sub mix then routed to a main sub mix

backing Vox routed to a backing Vox sub mix then to a main mix

The main mix is then routed to main outs 1-2.
Now I do track with plugs eg waves CLA comps, Revibe, Oxford EQ and a few others. Tonite while tracking the singers were experiencing some really weird phasey/latency issue. I really could not get to the bottom of this???

I made all the plugs Inactive still no change?
Changed hardware buffer to lowest it would go still no change?

Do you think it could be my routing, like all tracks being routed to an AUX and then to a sub mix before the main outs. My headphone amp is the behringer H4700 so all singers get the same mix and this is fed by outputs 3-4 which the main out all so feeds as well as outputs 1-2

This has totally stumped me, I thought you could track through plugs in HD with no problem

Anybody else had an issue like this, or could shed some light on my work flow and how to improve it or a setting I need to change. Maybe it's my output mapping I'm so confused

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 03-13-2013, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Routing question ?

I've had some ADC issues happen randomly form what I can tell
Quit and reopen seem to fix it

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-14-2013, 02:28 AM

Tried this and even trashed my prefs but it still sounded strange.

Those guys on HD could you chime in with whats possible tracking wise with plugs / Auxes / sub mixes and what the limitations are.

Say you have done a complex big mis then the client says can i just redo that one verse at the beginning please im not happy with that. Ive read that you can just drop in and record with out all this hassle on HD compared to if you were on a native rig?

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 03-14-2013, 05:18 AM

I don't use typical "stem auxes" (vox, BVs, keys, etc) until mix time, but I route all audio tracks to a main aux from the start, and this aux has a limiter on it at all times.

I have done recordings into a nearly finished mix, and I record to new tracks routed directly to the main aux. No problems.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
I don't use typical "stem auxes" (vox, BVs, keys, etc) until mix time, but I route all audio tracks to a main aux from the start, and this aux has a limiter on it at all times.

I have done recordings into a nearly finished mix, and I record to new tracks routed directly to the main aux. No problems.
Thanks for chiming in PT lover. what plugs are you using eg waves, McDSP etc, and what buffer are you running at. (my lowest buffer i can choose is 128) Do you think my magma chassis is causing a problem or not im using the P7R4R,

This has really stumped me. Im also starting to think that my I/O has got screwed up some way or another which has screwed up my headphone mix

Old 03-14-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
Tried this and even trashed my prefs but it still sounded strange.

Those guys on HD could you chime in with whats possible tracking wise with plugs / Auxes / sub mixes and what the limitations are.

Say you have done a complex big mis then the client says can i just redo that one verse at the beginning please im not happy with that. Ive read that you can just drop in and record with out all this hassle on HD compared to if you were on a native rig?
Hi,

Any track you record onto should be routed directly to the left/right outputs! The audio track you record onto is bypassed from the delay compensation when in record mode so the talent does not hear any latency, and is not monitoring themselves with delay, but hearing themselves in real-time. the recorded audio is then moved after the record pass to the correct position in the timeline. (If you watch closely you will actually see it move as you come out of record)

aux/busses and sends are not bypassed from the delay comp during recording so they will cause some small latency! only very small but can be noticed by some musicians/singers, this is why you should route youre audio track direct to the left/right outputs if possible. any plugins placed on busses will also cause latency during recording!!

Some TDM plugins have a very small amount of latency that the talent won't notice during tracking! but depending on the talent and the instrument thay are playing, and the buffer setting.

Obvioulsy NO plugins on the master fader!!

Personally i will always try and track without delay comp on if possible.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:37 AM

Thanks Chris this is something I didn't no!!!. Why can't you track with plugs on master buss??

Old 03-14-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks for chiming in PT lover. what plugs are you using eg waves, McDSP etc, and what buffer are you running at. (my lowest buffer i can choose is 128) Do you think my magma chassis is causing a problem or not im using the P7R4R,

This has really stumped me. Im also starting to think that my I/O has got screwed up some way or another which has screwed up my headphone mix
Typical plugins during recording are Waves SSL E-Channel and CLA-76 on the audio tracks, and Massey L2007 on the main aux, and I use a H/W buffer size of 512 samples.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks Chris this is something I didn't no!!!. Why can't you track with plugs on master buss??
Hi,

Well, this does depend on how you setup your cue mix/monitor for headphones for the talent. but assuming they are also moinitoring through the mix bus or the music they are referencing to is going through the mix bus! then the talent must monitor themselves in real-time (Or very close) this can't change. any plugin, especially on an aux/bus will induce some latency, hence the singer and the music they are referencing to, are in slightly different time zones! the music will be playing slightly later than the talent is monitoring themselves. hence the phasing effect.

try it with a large latency plugin like maxim or maxim native and it will be obvious

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:53 AM

Thanks alot Chris I'm going to try a few things tonite to see if I can eliminate what's causing this effect I think it might have something to do with my sub mixes