Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2011, 11:04 AM

Default Question regarding upgrade to Pro Tools 9

This may not be the correct forum to post this in, however I figure a few people in this one will be able to answer my question. I am currently running the LE software that I bought at a local Guitar Center, it came bundled with the Mbox interface and I recently bought a Fast Track 8r interface for ease of recording and editing drums. I found out that the interface was not compatible with LE, as aren't any other interfaces outside of the Mbox family. I found out that this was pretty common knowledge but being a newer user I had not known it myself. Anyway, I began looking into the crossgrade from LE to 9 and figure that, with as well-constructed as Pro Tools LE is that it is definitely worth the listed $250 for the crossgrade. However, I noticed that it said that owners or users of the original Mbox were not eligible for the crossgrade pricing. I did not know that there was much of a difference in the software portion of LE running an original Mbox and was wondering why those users are not eligible. To the best of my knowledge I am running version 8 of the LE software and was hoping someone could explain the reasoning behind the incompatibility to me before I purchase the crossgrade to realize that it is not compatible for any reason.
Thanks,
Kyle
Old 05-29-2011, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Question regarding upgrade to Pro Tools 9

If you're running v8 of Pro Tools, and it came bundled with your Mbox, then I doubt you have an original Mbox. The original Mbox is light blue and white

But, it's true, if you Do have an original Mbox, you are not eligible for the crossgrade to PT 9. The crossgrade requires submitting the serial number from a qualified Avid/Digi interface. The Mbox 2 series (all of them), and the 002/003 series are qualified units.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Question regarding upgrade to Pro Tools 9

Great, thanks a lot for clearing that up. I was worried since mine didn't say "Mbox 2" or anything on it. I appreciate the reply.