Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2004, 04:52 AM

Default Question to Dangerous summing box owners?

I will have both a 2Bus and a 2-Bus LT to test and I am preparing a mix that I am doing rigth now so that I can make a fair comparison between PT summing bus, 2-Bus and 2-Bus LT.

I have a doubt about mono.

In Protools:
When I assign a mono track to a stereo bus the volume on the bus is less 2.5dbs
EX: Bass drum hitting at -1db on the track will appear as -3.5db on the stereo bus.

In Dangerous 2-Bus how does the mono act? The same as PT?

Thanks
Old 02-28-2004, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Question to Dangerous summing box owners?

Sorry, I can't answer your question, but I'm interested in the Dangerous 2 Bus. Please post your results. I think it does more to hear from someone in the real world who is looking to spend his hard earned cash on something than it does from a sales pitch.

Old 02-29-2004, 03:18 AM

I got my answer right away from dangerous people:

"Hello Eduardo - What you are referring to is known as PAN LAW. Pro Tools has a pan law of around 2.5dB, so if you pan a single track in the middle of a stereo output pair it will be 2.5dB down. As you pan either L or R the pan law diminishes until it is at unity gain when panned full L or R. If you assign a track to a direct output and use the Mono switch on the 2-Bus, the track will be sent to the center of the mix at unity gain (no pan law)."
Old 03-01-2004, 04:07 AM

I think that this can make the test a little bit tricky.
I heard 2 files (from Gearslutz I think) of someone who did a summing box vs PT summing and the bassdrum on the 2Bus was much more presence than on the PT summing, this it leaves me to think that maybe he was not considering this Pan Law difference between both

Rusty G.,
I will post my opinions as soon as I have made the test.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:00 PM

hai all,

i just got this bus 2 LT, i curious about the gain control. Clock wise, which position is the unity gain?

thx
Old 04-19-2012, 06:02 AM

According to the manual, fully clockwise is unity gain.

But they recommend having it around 12:00 for most mixes.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:36 AM

Smile Re: Question to Dangerous summing box owners?

All the way up is Unity Gain. 12 O'clock is about 6 dB's down. Bob from Dangerous suggests to start around 12'Oclock and hit the outputs of Protools into the summing bus pretty hard, then adjust it a bit. If you have a compressor on the output of the summing box back into PT, this is a good place to use the gain knob. The box has tremendous amounts of headroom. I only use my summing box now. I have an apogee Symphony with 16 outs and I use 12 of them into the summing box. The stereo image is quite extraordinary.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:52 PM

thx guys...
Old 04-19-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioPiranha View Post
All the way up is Unity Gain. 12 O'clock is about 6 dB's down. Bob from Dangerous suggests to start around 12'Oclock and hit the outputs of Protools into the summing bus pretty hard, then adjust it a bit. If you have a compressor on the output of the summing box back into PT, this is a good place to use the gain knob. The box has tremendous amounts of headroom. I only use my summing box now. I have an apogee Symphony with 16 outs and I use 12 of them into the summing box. The stereo image is quite extraordinary.

Correct 12 o'clock is -6db down but it reads 0 on the unit. Box boxes (the 2 bus and the LT are the same minus the +6DB boost on the 2 buss.

Great box - been on it for almost 2 years now coming off a API DSM rig

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"