How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 05-07-2017, 01:02 PM

Default Re: SOS Article on Pro Tools Most Requested Features

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
2 - Force an AVID CEO to Compose a song in Protools using VIs Only and track Vocals while they are running. If he manages to pull thru' without a heart attack or other serious head injuries - chances are that Protools will change rapidly.
Too bad our CEO prefers literature...
Old 05-07-2017, 01:02 PM

I actually found the article a bit offensive. I don't remember, but correct me if I'm wrong, any other manufacturer having such an article written about their failures to meet customer requests. Let's take Cakewalk for example, during all their wacky changes to the interface and consistent memory issues over 10 years, only the users complained. Not one article about the instability and crazy interface changes, countless dead end features from one version to the next.

Just saying, there are worse perpetrators on the street than Avid. If the DAW isn't working for you, try another. I get the let's getting them moving in the right direction but frankly, many of the user feature requests are irrelevant to my needs in recording musicians weekly. Sorry to the naysayers but it's working for me.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyonnet View Post
There are 2 things you can do about it.

1) You can have tracks assigned to a group and a VCA master assigned to that group that then can solo/mute all tracks of the group (and allow group fader manipulations). Not simple to think about though... You have a bunch of tracks routed in an aux but you have to group them and assign a VCA to manage the solo/mute functionalities!

2) You can also simply group the tracks and configure the Mix Attributes for this group so that it soloes the group entirely (Modify Group > Attributes > Solos and you have to uncheck "Follow Globals", simple no?). It's not "on" by default when you create a group.

Track folders would be great, as well as all the other features mentioned, and also stability and an audio engine that knows how to handle voltage addition, which is not the case anymore since PT12 is out.
These are valid work-arounds. Unfortunately, as soon as you start freezing tracks, this all falls apart. VCA functionality does not play well with track freeze at all.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:19 PM

The top 5 list is a compilation from (too) many years. It may or may not represent what people would really want today. Regardless - it is all pretty basic stuff that on the surface does not look particularly challenging from a software coding POV. Again - regardless - the company has clearly shown a lack of initiative and vision as to how to progress the product. Collaboration (especially the kind that people pay for) and now a renewed effort at the free version of PT is the current accomplishments (zero feature releases in 2017 so far). If these do not please - it seems very obvious that to expect some change in company behavior is not wise ...

6 weeks - nothing but Logic Pro X .... zero crashes... we shall see...
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 05-07-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic1982 View Post
Let us organise the plugin menu's to our pleasing! Please see my signature and give it a vote!!!!
thanks.
Seems overly complicated. Current sort options + plugin search would suffice.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsearcher View Post
These are valid work-arounds. Unfortunately, as soon as you start freezing tracks, this all falls apart. VCA functionality does not play well with track freeze at all.
So I found out one day. Track freeze is a great feature, but I treat like a temporary parking spot. Sooner or later you've got to commit!

Old 05-08-2017, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrab View Post
I actually found the article a bit offensive. I don't remember, but correct me if I'm wrong, any other manufacturer having such an article written about their failures to meet customer requests. Let's take Cakewalk for example, during all their wacky changes to the interface and consistent memory issues over 10 years, only the users complained. Not one article about the instability and crazy interface changes, countless dead end features from one version to the next.

Just saying, there are worse perpetrators on the street than Avid. If the DAW isn't working for you, try another. I get the let's getting them moving in the right direction but frankly, many of the user feature requests are irrelevant to my needs in recording musicians weekly. Sorry to the naysayers but it's working for me.
And that's great! If the features mentioned in the article would not be of use to you, fine. But, not everyone is using Pro Tools for the same kind of work. Composing and mixing for film/video/games, or doing post production work requires a different workflow and some of the features mentioned in the article would be of great benefit for those. Wanting to see work-flow enhancing features does not mean we don't like Pro Tools. Its still the best choice.

But stability is an issue regardless of the kind of audio work you're doing.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrab View Post
Well, there is a difference between a product that was maybe ~5th on the list of popularity and a DAW that its creators like to call "industry standard" and for which many professionals pay thousands of dollars (including HW) and their livelihood depends on it (meaning also that they cannot just simply jump the ship => excellent sources for forced revenue). I think SOS is listening to the latter owners more than anything else and it is high time that at least one magazine makes noise about the fact that Avid has been lazily riding the "industry standard" wagon way too long without putting the necessary resources behind both developing the product and product managing it (not to mention the management of Avid as a company). A common problem with most former market leaders
StudioOne + Cubase (+ Pro Tools for simpler old stuff)
Old 05-08-2017, 02:05 AM

Oh c'mon, we have 64bit PT and a completely new AAX plugin platform. Takes its time to nail it.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Oh c'mon, we have 64bit PT and a completely new AAX plugin platform. Takes its time to nail it.

No it doesn't. Pretty much every other DAW developer has it under control. Why shouldn't Avid? Heck, even my mobile phone supported 64 bit before Pro Tools did.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.