Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2016, 01:37 PM

Default My $.02 (I always come back to PT)

Hi,
I'll admit that I have had my issues with Pro Tools. I started in 2010 with 8 or an LE version I think. Much like a lot of you I have decided, go with Logic, or Ableton, or Studio One, or..... I have them all in one version or another.
Turns out I ALWAYS come back to Pro Tools. Even with the issues, it's still FAR the best in my opinion. Trust me, I WANTED to get away.
That being said, 12.6.1 seems to have fixed a lot of stuff and is stable. Actually, 11 on has been stable for me.
I was hoping that now we could stop the AVID bashing, which yes, I have done, and use this forum to help each other with how to's as it was intended.
I learn a lot on here even after 6 years.
I think if I hadn't blown out my ears playing in bands, that I could do this professionally and I am self taught with your help and Lynda.com.
Thank you for your support.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:06 PM

Default Re: My $.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilkers View Post
Hi,
I was hoping that now we could stop the AVID bashing, which yes, I have done, and use this forum to help each other with how to's as it was intended.
Plenty of help is always available on the DUC no matter what folks think of Avid.

The reason there is so much "Avid Bashing" is; Because we care about Pro Tools and a lot of us depend on it to make a living. If Avid cared to the same degree as it's customers, there would be no need to bash them.

I am hoping that the day will come when there will be no need to deride Avid either because they sell out or get their act together...but to date, that's not so.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 12-02-2016, 06:50 PM

" If Avid cared to the same degree as it's customers, there would be no need to bash them"

+√
Old 12-02-2016, 09:14 PM

I rarely use PT anymore and I am much happier with the way other DAWs (just) work and are more stable. S1 workflow is excellent and the support for ARA is just beautiful.

PT users should by now realize that PT has two main technical problems: old crumbling sw architecture and poorly functioning sw development model. Former is reflected in a multitude of (repeated) bugs (show stopping ADC problems, CPU errors etc.) and the obvious difficulty to find the root causes for them (very slow introduction of bug fixes). This also makes it very difficult to introduce new features causing PT to constantly remain behind other DAWs in this respect. It is also quite obvious that Avid does not have a fully functioning modern development process (fully functioning automated Q&A especially is non-existent) and the move of sw development teams to various locations has not been managed professionally.

Add to that the issues related to feature road mapping and fulfilling what the customers really want (collaboration being a major effort only needed by a handful of users). Assuming that PT actually worked, it is a great DAW for anybody who wants to work the way we used to 20 years ago (and perhaps we need one DAW that just focuses on that).

Now, everybody chooses to use the DAW they like and want to support (no matter how costly it may be) and that is fine. Personally I jumped the ship a few years ago when it was obvious that Avid has major problems with PT development and its road-map (from my perspective). I may take another look in 5 years if things have really improved but based on where they are now, how poorly their sw development works, and the challenging financial situation Avid is in, they do not have much leverage to make any major jumps any time soon.
StudioOne + Cubase (+ Pro Tools for simpler old stuff)
Old 12-02-2016, 09:45 PM

+1 It's so obvious, why don't they just admit it!
Old 12-02-2016, 10:36 PM

Niilo,

Why would you even bother to come by and post that? I just don't get it. You say that you haven't used Pro Tools for 5 years and that it's old style. Who would even want to use it??? But here you are posting on the DUC with your opinions. I didn't even know there was much of a music business in Redwood City! Silly me here in the wasteland of LA, where nobody can make a living just recording and mixing. Thanks for the insight.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
Niilo,

Why would you even bother to come by and post that? I just don't get it. You say that you haven't used Pro Tools for 5 years and that it's old style. Who would even want to use it??? But here you are posting on the DUC with your opinions. I didn't even know there was much of a music business in Redwood City! Silly me here in the wasteland of LA, where nobody can make a living just recording and mixing. Thanks for the insight.
I like the passion!

But really, I did not say I have not used PT for 5 years but I did indicate that I prefer other DAWs nowadays and rarely use PT. I also did not say that nobody wants to use it. We all know many who want to use PT and they like the "old" workflow with not too many bells & whistles so there clearly is a need for a DAW of that type and that is fine. I just do not happen to be in that group anymore. Also, LA is far superior place for music business than RWC (or most of the rest of the world) will ever be but that should not prevent me (or anybody else) from posting my own opinions unless there is some form of a rule here that states that only LA professionals are the ones who can post and share their insight.

Anyways, sorry for sharing...
StudioOne + Cubase (+ Pro Tools for simpler old stuff)
Old 12-03-2016, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niilo Nuori View Post
I rarely use PT anymore and I am much happier with the way other DAWs (just) work and are more stable. S1 workflow is excellent and the support for ARA is just beautiful.

PT users should by now realize that PT has two main technical problems: old crumbling sw architecture and poorly functioning sw development model. Former is reflected in a multitude of (repeated) bugs (show stopping ADC problems, CPU errors etc.) and the obvious difficulty to find the root causes for them (very slow introduction of bug fixes). This also makes it very difficult to introduce new features causing PT to constantly remain behind other DAWs in this respect. It is also quite obvious that Avid does not have a fully functioning modern development process (fully functioning automated Q&A especially is non-existent) and the move of sw development teams to various locations has not been managed professionally.

Add to that the issues related to feature road mapping and fulfilling what the customers really want (collaboration being a major effort only needed by a handful of users). Assuming that PT actually worked, it is a great DAW for anybody who wants to work the way we used to 20 years ago (and perhaps we need one DAW that just focuses on that).

Now, everybody chooses to use the DAW they like and want to support (no matter how costly it may be) and that is fine. Personally I jumped the ship a few years ago when it was obvious that Avid has major problems with PT development and its road-map (from my perspective). I may take another look in 5 years if things have really improved but based on where they are now, how poorly their sw development works, and the challenging financial situation Avid is in, they do not have much leverage to make any major jumps any time soon.
Well said, bro. I still use PT for everything, but I'm looking at S1 and liking it a lot! ARA support is great! I'll make the move as soon as I'm comfortable enough to work fast with it. This is the future of the DAW, in my humble opinion. PT's great and simple to use, but S1 is even better, especially for MIDI, writing and arranging.

All that said, PT does appear to be pulling its weight finally in 12.6.1