Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 01-06-2019, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Diving Deeper with EQ on S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Happy New Year!

For this TOD I wanted to dive a bit deeper into controlling EQ plug-ins on the console. For this example, we are using the new Pro-Q3 plug-in from Fabfilter which is quite excellent. Let's discuss the various ways to get your hands on an EQ plug-in from the S6:

Channelstrip: A Vertical orientation, traditional console-style view capable of displaying the most controls in the least amount of real estate. If you've got a 5-knob configuration, you can see controls for 2-bands of EQ per strip at a time. With a 9-knob configuration, you've got 4-bands per strip, before you start hitting the Page buttons. I recommend enabling the preference under Settings > User for Reverse Function Pages for 5-Knob Strips so that the orientation starting on the first page builds from the Low Band, and up to High Band, then ending with Filters and I/O.

Expand: A Horizontal orientation, single page, dedicated and predictable, with fixed columns of data representing each individual band. Expand view is definitely recommended if you are just getting your bearings on the console. Having a single page with fixed parameters translates into a consistent interface regardless of how many bands the Avid or 3rd Party plug-in you choose happens to have.

Insert Parameters: When accessing an EQ plug-in (in Expand or Channel view) from Inserts View (Teal) -> then diving into Insert: Parameters View, you have the ability to access advanced parameters populated by the plug-in manufacturer that are not otherwise accessible from the dedicated EQ views. Fabfilter Pro-Q3 now offers dynamics control for each of the 24 EQ bands in the plug-in. The Expanded Insert Parameters pagetable for this plug-in (Teal) offers interleaved columns of EQ Bands (1-24) with their associated Dynamics controls paired together. This allows you to access Dynamic Range, Threshold and Dynamics enable functions for each of the different EQ bands.

As always, every 3rd Party Developer is responsible for their own implementation of the pagetables which inform the S6 on how to display the parameters from the EQ plug-in. Fabfilter has done an excellent job of formatting their Pro-Q3 plug-in for both compatibility and advanced control.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cu03r2e7ga...10319.MOV?dl=0

Hi Jeff.
Nice.
I just got ProQ3, love it.
May I ask, in your 24 band example there, had you made a 24 band “default template”, or if in plugin view, are they all just there ?
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 01-06-2019, 03:34 PM
Avid

Default Re: Nulling Parameter Values

Greetings,

From the example discussing advanced control with interleaved EQ and Dynamics Control per band, there is no setup required. Once you accessed Insert Parameters (Teal) and then invoke Expand Mode, you will see 6 pages with 4 bands per page. Conversely, if you access the same view with Pro-Q2 you will see 8 bands per page since there are no Dynamics controls in that version. The seventh page of Pro-Q3 includes global functions including the look and feel of the RTA.

My comments about starting with a Flat-7 preset in the plug-in are specifically regarding formatting 7 of the 24 bands in such way that they conform to the layout of the dedicated EQ (magenta) view on the console. Hope this helps.

best,

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ
Old 01-06-2019, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Nulling Parameter Values

As I thought.
Thanks Jeff.
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 01-17-2019, 08:23 AM
Avid

Default Managing User Data: SoftKeys & Prefs

Greetings,

Let's examine some of the important user data stored on the S6 Master Module SSD. We're going to look specifically at the User Soft Keys as well as the User Preferences.

Here is the directory path for these data files, which are both XML:

User Preferences: C:\Users\S6User\AppData\Local\Avid\S6
User Soft Keys: C:\ProgramData\Avid\S6\AppSets\

It is possible to use the external USB ports on the back of the Master Module to transfer the XML files, or better, enable File Sharing from the Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center for those paths by logging into the Master Module as Administrator. This makes it simple to push and pull user data files to and from the S6.

The primary Settings can be accessed by touching Settings > User on the S6. These include knob ballistics and general console behaviors. Press Factory to default all of the settings back to the Factory Default for the installed S6 version. A warning dialog will be presented - as a safety before you accidentally lose your customized settings. Simply press Save to save your tweaked user settings (include User Name and Date) to disk. Beware that under the global console Settings > System there is an option under Auto-Load from Titles And Sessions to include User Preferences. This is another reason why it's always a good idea to have a saved set of your dialed-in User Preferences. With Auto-Load enabled for preferences, opening a Pro Tools Session File from a different user or facility could possibly bring in the settings from the operator who worked on the session.

Press Settings > Soft Keys to Load or Save User Soft Key sets.
Just like the User Preferences, any modifications or tweaks that you make to the default Soft Keys should be saved to disk by simply pressing Save from the bottom of this page. Touch Factory to revert the Soft Keys back to the default Factory settings for the installed version. There are dedicated XML files for each appset version for both Mac and Windows, and for different Pro Tools revisions.

For users with Pro Tools 2018.x running S6 version 3.7 or earlier, you will need to manually install the appset files which can be found here:
http://resources.avid.com/SupportFil...atch_3_7_0.zip

To edit and merge multiple appset files together, check out the EuconLayouter app from SonicMonk - a drag and drop visual interface for modifying and customizing your S6 Soft Key sets.

http://www.sonic-monk.com/euconlayouter/index.shtml
MTRX FAQ
Old 01-19-2019, 02:38 PM
Avid

Default Adding a Tethered Joystick Module

Let's explore the idea of adding a Master Joystick Module, not embedded within the console frame, but rather on a tether - so that it can move easily between different operators who feel the urge to Pan.

We'll start by simply adding to our S6 M40 16-5-D system, a Joystick Module. First, access Settings > Surface then touch Config to change the existing configuration. Augment the Width pop-up by 1 in order to add an additional module to your setup. I'm changing my existing console Width from 3 to 4. Touch Next. Swipe (from Right to Left) the Module Scroller at the top to expose more modules and combinations. Drag the single Panner module down into your newly created empty bucket. Touch Next. The S6 should illuminate all of the modules on the desk. Simply touch any touch-sensitive encoder or joystick on the Joystick Module. Touch Next. Touch Done to finish.

The Joystick Module needs to be supplied with a single ethernet connection in addition to a 12v mains feed. These can easily be wrapped into an appropriately long tether (heat shrink or other wrap) which is durable enough to withstand movement. The placement of the Joystick Module in the 4th bucket in our configuration is entirely arbitrary. The system knows there is a joystick which can easily be populated on attention.

I would encourage you to explore other solutions, script trays and widgets from the collection of partners that make S6 accessories. One excellent provider in particular is Frozen Fish Design which can be found here:
https://www.frozenfishdesign.co.uk/m...customisation/
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-20-2019, 10:34 AM
Avid

Default S6 19.5 Example Session A

Greetings,

It's time to dig into S6 2019.5! I've been thinking about the best way to discuss all of the potential new workflows and functionality. What I've arrived at is a series of Pro Tools sessions, Titles and S6 Preferences files to demonstrate. The last two files are optional, since the Pro Tools session is already set up to automatically load all of the Layouts, User Preferences, Meters and more. So let's get started. Here's the Pro Tools Session, created with Pro Tools 2019.5 and EUCON 19.5:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3eccqu9bd...9.5_A.ptx?dl=0

If you want to simply experiment with Track, Meter or Post Layouts, the associated Title File (whose data is already part of the session) is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qieh8d7eey...9.5_A.xml?dl=0

And lastly, the Console Preferences are here (also part of the Pro Tools session as it is set to Auto-Load including Preferences):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/myg8abeb7t...prefs.xml?dl=0

This particular session file is music based - with food groups of drums, bass, keys and the like. The intent is to demonstrate many of the possible ways to configure and take advantage of functionality on the surface.

For this first module, I want to simply discuss Attention Workflows.

My preferences are set up so that On Attention, the 1st (Left) Expand Knob Module is populated with EQ, the 2nd (Right) Expand Knob is populated with Dynamics, and if the Expand Faders are enabled, Sends or other function types (Plug-Ins or Pan) which are triggered from Pro Tools are displayed. You can see the Home Page Local Options (gear) here:

When Attentioning tracks - if the 1st Knob Zone doesn't see an EQ, then Sends are displayed. If the 2nd Knob Zone doesn't see Dynamics, then the Insert Chain is displayed. The Master Module is populated with Pan by default. If the Expand Fader Zone is enabled (currently suspended), then clicking on any Plug-In, Send or Pan is going to recall the pre-configured Expand Maps that are part of the Pro Tools session. Example: Click on ReVibe to access the Fader Map for one of the reverbs in the session. All of the plug-ins in the session have Expand Fader Maps, and all of the following function views have Expand Fader Maps:
Sends, Pan, HEAT, Instruments, Input, VCAs, EQ, Dyn.

We will dig in more in the next modules. For now, experiment and feel free to send any questions or observations.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-21-2019, 07:37 AM
Avid

Default Re: S6 19.5 Example Session A: Layouts

Let's take a look at some of the Layouts that are contained within the Template Session Rr_19.5_A.ptx.

The example session contains all three types of Layouts:

Track Layouts
Meter Layouts
Post Layouts

Track Layouts (up to 96) are a collection of tracks (spanning up to 8 workstations) with several different views that can also be stored within each layout. Let's first take a look at a new option for banking when recalling layouts.

New to 19.5 is the option to Reset Banked Position to Home for the User Preference Layout Banked Position on Recall Mode. This ensures that regardless of what banking state you happened to be in when you leave a given layout, that each set of tracks will essentially Bank to Home when the layout is recalled.

Next, let's discuss some of the different displays and views that can also be store with a Track Layout. I've recalled the layout named Vox - which is in position 2. I've done this by taking advantage of the quick access using the Layout QuickJump Shift + / which provides the first six Track and Meter Layouts on the Automation Module SoftKeys.

Track Layouts are in the left column and Meter Layouts are shown in the right column. If we recall and examine the layout Vox, we can observed the following:
(1) The first 5 channels are vocal tracks with the knob function view set to EQ.
(2) Each of these vocal tracks has a Process Module Knob assigned to control the associated Mic Preamp (Input) gain on the MTRX.
(3) Layouts can contain space, or skipped channels for better visual discrimination.
(4) The vocal submaster called sVox has a different meter view - big meter and gain reduction only.
(5) The 8th track in the layout is vAllVox which is a master VCA which contains other VCA's (nested) of vVox and vBGVs. From this channel its efficient to simply spill any of the additional primary or background vocals into, for example, the right spill zone.

Layouts can simply be recalled (or closed) by successively pressing a Layout SoftKey, either from the QuickJump access we described (Shift + /) or by the standard methods on the Master Module SoftKeys or TouchScreen. Layouts not only save your collection of tracks, but also the knob function views, display module views, process module assignments and specific parameter pages. Lastly, layouts can be recalled 1:1 or can be loaded into up to two unique Spill Zones: Left Spill or Right Spill. We'll dig in more on Meter Layouts, Post Layouts and linking of Track and Meter Layouts in the next module.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-21-2019, 08:03 AM

Default Re: S6 Tip ‘o the Day

Great job Jeff!!

These tutorials are really well done, thanks.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:41 PM
Avid

Default S6 19.5 Example Session B: Attention DAW Area

Let's dig into the idea of interacting with Pro Tools by clicking on Plug-Ins, Sends and other parts of the user interface in order to Attention a particular track to the surface and to Populate the surface section of your choice on click. Before we start, I did slightly update the example session which is now Rr_19.5_B.ptx.

First, let's examine an overview of my S6 M40-16-5-D surface configuration:

You can see that I have two Expand Knob Zones and one Expand Fader defined. The On Attention defaults are set as follows:

Knob 1: EQ
Knob 2: DYN
Fader: Sends

Next, let's take a look at the critical preferences for this discussion. I have the preference Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area set to trigger Attention and Population by clicking on any Plug-In, Pan, Send, or by using p or ; to Nudge inside of Pro Tools. The second essential preference is telling the S6 where we want to display the clicked parameters on the surface. I currently have the preference Display Knobs From Most Recently Clicked DAW Area set to the Expand Fader Module.

Now let's dig into the workflow explored in the video. We're going to start by accessing the Track Layout labeled Start by first touching L Spill then pressing the Layout Mode switch then Start from the Layout SoftKeys. Next, we spill vVox into the Right Spill Zone. Now, hold Shift + Control (on the Fader Module switches or from your QWERTY keyboard) and press the Select switch on the first vocal track called Vox.ld. This will scroll those vocal tracks into view in Pro Tools - both the Edit Window and the Mix Window.

Next, make sure to enable your On Attention Zones for Knobs and Faders from the Soft Keys on the Automation Module > Extras.
This will activate my dedicated EQ and DYN zones for Knobs as well as the Expand Fader Zone which I defaulted to Sends. From here, we start with our interactions in Pro Tools by clicking on the Channelstrip plug-in. You can follow along as I trigger plug-ins, sends and pans by clicking from Pro Tools. Here's the video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9xv3d3o2v8...52219.MOV?dl=0

Lastly, I believe it's helpful to think about both On Attention - default views as well as deliberately populating specific sections of the surface when you've clicked from Pro Tools. For example, I can say I always want my left knob - Knob1 to be populated with EQ, and if there's no EQ on the Attentioned track - next pick DYN. I can also configure the surface such that any element that I click on (Plug-in, Pan, Send) is directed to only ever populate the Knob2 zone. This would be accomplished by setting Display Knobs From Most Recently Clicked DAW Area to 2nd Expand Knob Module for example. You can set the Master Module to always see Pan - On Attention or it could be populated in concert with an Expand Fader Module on click. Experiment and see which views and surface modules should be dedicated On Attention and which should be ready to receive a clicked interaction from Pro Tools.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-23-2019, 03:23 PM
Avid

Default Re: S6 19.5 Example Session B: Justify & Scroll

Let's take a look at a few different ways to justify, scroll, and search for tracks on the S6 in concert with Pro Tools 19.5. We've unified the modifier shortcut to Shift + Control for all of these functions, whether initiated from Pro Tools or from the surface. We'll take a look at a few different ways to navigate around, find what you want, and scroll those tracks into view on the surface.

Let's start with Pro Tools. If you hold Shift + Control while clicking on a track in Pro Tools, the surface will justify that track when in standard banking mode based on the preference called Banking Justification Mode. Depending on your workflow, you can set this to Left, the Left of the Master Module, Right, or the Right of the Master Module. If you are already in Layouts mode this will have no effect, since by definition, layouts and their track locations are independent of Banked tracks.

Next, let's take a look at the new Extras page on the right side of the Automation Module SoftKeys. Firstly, we've added a quick way to bring the banked channels back to Home called Bank Home without requiring any modifiers or Shift functions. We've also placed Scroll to Track prominently on the top page, which can be an efficient way to locate a track within your session. When invoked, Scroll to Track behaves in a type-ahead manner where as you type characters it will start to filter and display the results. In the Rr_19.5_B.ptx session, all of my effects returns start with a lower case x - so I can simply type x and it will give me a list of my reverb, delay, and subharmonic returns. If you enable "Scroll to Track" Banks Controllers in Pro Tools from Setup > Preferences > Mixing, when initiating a Scroll to Track, two actions will be performed:

(1) The chosen track will be justified as the top track in the Pro Tools Edit Window and the Leftmost track in the Pro Tools Mix Window.
(2) The chosen track will be justified on the surface based on the preference mentioned earlier called Banking Justification Mode.

This is great way to quickly search, select, justify and orient a given track on the surface so it can easily be Attentioned. You can also use the keyboard shortcut equivalent for Scroll to Track which is COMMAND + OPTION + F.

Now, let's jump to the surface. Regardless of whether you may be in a 1:1 Layout, Layout within a Spill Zone, spilled VCA slaves into a Spill Zone, or just standard banked channels, holding Shift + Control on any Fader Module modifier switches while pressing a channel's Select switch will justify that track as top and leftmost in the Pro Tools Edit and Mix windows respectively. It is also possible to hold down the same modifiers from your QWERTY keyboard instead of the chicklets on the Fader Module, if that happens to be easier or more accessible.

The last workflow to mention is when viewing the Tracks page on the Master Module. If you toggle into Select mode via the virtual buttons at the bottom of the page, holding Shift + Control while touching a track in the matrix will justify that track in the Pro Tools Edit and Mix windows.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ