Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2017, 04:12 AM

Default Re: Sod it buying a Mac now

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Back in the hay day of PT10 and the TDM period the amount of Mac users compared to PC users was 10 fold. Your running a system that the vast majority of users had macs as their choice of Computer. Go Mac and don't look back

Use your PC for web/email/facebook/printing and all the other non Pro Tools stuff you need to do. keep your Mac dedicated to a pro recording machine.

Never needed an SDD drive either for my PT rig! spinners work fine and cost less if saving a few minutes boot up time is that important? well go for SDD. save some money and buy more ram!

Chris
Surely you gest?

QAPLA!
Old 10-13-2017, 05:13 AM

Default Sod it buying a Mac now

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Surely you gest?

Like as in Gestation?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gestation

🤣🤣🤣🤣.

He surely is not, he is right...historically especially in the TDM era everyone had a Mac for those duties. And the MP did extremely well.

Now a days you hear about more MP issues (maybe software related, idk) and even native guys use more PC’s than ever before.....but historically he is right....it used to be Cheesegrater’s all over the place. Especially for TDM cards.

Cheesgraters / Snow Leopard/ Mac Pros / TDM cards go together very well.

For the record I still believe the 2008 is too old. It would be better to spend more and get a 2010 or 2012
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Like as in Gestation?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gestation

🤣🤣🤣🤣.

He surely is not, he is right...historically especially in the TDM era everyone had a Mac for those duties. And the MP did extremely well.

Now a days you hear about more MP issues (maybe software related, idk) and even native guys use more PC’s than ever before.....but historically he is right....it used to be Cheesegrater’s all over the place. Especially for TDM cards.

Cheesgraters / Snow Leopard/ Mac Pros / TDM cards go together very well.

For the record I still believe the 2008 is too old. It would be better to spend more and get a 2010 or 2012
Should have said 'jest'

There's something about the way Apple designed the original MacPro (air flow, accessibility, whatever) that helps make it a solid unit. Then people wanted smaller, faster and quieter and Apple couldn't be bothered to correctly deal with the cooling issues. In the 5 years I worked for a company that dealt in cooling equipment for electronics I learned it's possible to have both quiet and cool with an active cooling system. Not cheap but possible. Maybe the PC running gamers have it right with liquid cooling systems?

Last thought - definitely go for the 5,1 option. Loving mine.

QAPLA!
Old 10-14-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Go Mac and don't look back
Yes! I did this in 2002 and my only regret is why didn't I do it earlier

No, seriously... I waited until OSX was usable and jumped when Jaguar was about to be released soon. Always liked Mac GUI but hated the oldskool system. Once they got UNIX I know there is no other way.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:35 AM

On your current box's issues - seriously - don't discount the RAM. I had the same symptoms on mine, and after being unable to isolate the issue anywhere else, I just went ahead and got new, quality RAM modules because they had gotten cheaper and bigger capacity.

Voila. I couldn't believe it, the RAM was absolutely to spec and I never thought twice since many people had no issues. Perhaps it was bad modules, or modules that went bad, but seriously - just try new RAM.

The worst that can happen is you just return it within the period if it doesn't make any difference.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latweek View Post
On your current box's issues - seriously - don't discount the RAM. I had the same symptoms on mine, and after being unable to isolate the issue anywhere else, I just went ahead and got new, quality RAM modules because they had gotten cheaper and bigger capacity.

Voila. I couldn't believe it, the RAM was absolutely to spec and I never thought twice since many people had no issues. Perhaps it was bad modules, or modules that went bad, but seriously - just try new RAM.

The worst that can happen is you just return it within the period if it doesn't make any difference.

I’m no pro when it comes to computers I went on the super micro website and read what RAM I needed (well I think it was the RAM) typed it in Ebay and nothing came up???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 10-14-2017, 08:45 AM

Download Memtest86+ and run it for multiple passes on the RAM. It will take several hours. If you want to run the test from within Windows, then use Memtest64. Memtest86+ requires that you burn it to a CD/DVD or USB flash drive, and then change your boot order in the BIOS to boot from that device.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
Download Memtest86+ and run it for multiple passes on the RAM. It will take several hours. If you want to run the test from within Windows, then use Memtest64. Memtest86+ requires that you burn it to a CD/DVD or USB flash drive, and then change your boot order in the BIOS to boot from that device.

What will this tell me??

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 10-14-2017, 08:58 AM

It will run a bunch of tests on the RAM. If any errors are detected, it will report them. As Latweek said, RAM can be defective, or go bad over time. Some people like to run Memtest on 1 stick at a time, for several hours, repeating for the other stick(s). I don't know if that is necessary if no errors are reported when running the test on all sticks together, but if errors are detected, then 1 stick at a time will help isolate which stick is bad.

Now if errors are detected when running the test on all sticks together, but they have no errors when tested individually, that could indicate a problem with the IMC (integrated memory controller) in the CPU, but that is a lot more rare than bad RAM.

Memtest86+ and Memtest64 are free, and safe to use.

Edit: there are a bunch of Youtube videos showing how to download and run Memtest, like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5JuiUxATOI

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.

Last edited by mjslakeridge; 10-14-2017 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Added Link to video
Old 10-14-2017, 03:42 PM

I ran Mtest64 and my computer started to beep is that normal