Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2017, 10:59 PM

Default Disable input monitoring for punch ins with HD hardware?

I'm doing cue mixes from an analogue console. Pro Tools HD famously does not have the ability to disable input monitoring for armed tracks unless 3rd party audio interface is used. How do you efficiently make punch ins without double monitoring in musicians headphones in such scenario?

Avid people, have you considered a feature that would mute the inputs on record armed channels?
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 09-01-2017, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Disable input monitoring for punch ins with HD hardware?

I'm not understanding the problem, it doesn't cause a issue here with a console workflow... I put the track in question into record and audio plays back form takes while rolling and becomes live once I punch in... if you want the old take to play back parts of the take just put it on another track and keep play active and record onto another track and mute the output of pro tools if you are monitoring on the console... if you want to go with one track workflow don't monitor form the console on the recorded track and simply use pro tools as normal... with the Rec button lit for playback it will play that audio to your console channel and when you punch the audio from "live" will go through tools and playback on same channel on console... plenty of options to choose from - in fact much more than working natively :)
Old 09-01-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syMPh View Post
I'm not understanding the problem, it doesn't cause a issue here with a console workflow... I put the track in question into record and audio plays back form takes while rolling and becomes live once I punch in... if you want the old take to play back parts of the take just put it on another track and keep play active and record onto another track and mute the output of pro tools if you are monitoring on the console... if you want to go with one track workflow don't monitor form the console on the recorded track and simply use pro tools as normal... with the Rec button lit for playback it will play that audio to your console channel and when you punch the audio from "live" will go through tools and playback on same channel on console... plenty of options to choose from - in fact much more than working natively :)

I know all the options. Sometimes just missing an additional one! :)
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 09-16-2017, 10:25 AM

I'm not sure I'm understanding your question completely, but try this...

In Preferences, you can unlink record and playback faders. So set the level for playback. Then put the track into record, and pull the fader all the way down. Now when you punch in, the fader will mute the playback coming through Pro Tools, and you will hear the live monitor feed from your console.

If you're using PT HD then the latency should be acceptable to the musicians. Your method sets recording back 50 years. The ability to monitor through tape is what has defined recording workflow forever. You're reinventing the wheel and I'm wondering why???

Steve
Old 10-04-2017, 07:47 PM

OR the simple option is to go to preferences and select
"Mute Record-Armed Tracks While Stopped"