Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 11-07-2008, 09:16 AM

Default Pro tools 8 m-powered and vista 64

Hello all,

I am in need of a CONFIRMED answer on this question, 'cause there's a lot going around these days but i don't trust unverified info.

Will PRO TOOLS 8 support VISTA X64?

Thanks a lot,
D
Old 11-07-2008, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Pro tools 8 m-powered and vista 64

No.

Official confirmation from Digidesign is on the PT8 compatibility & upgrade page:
Quote:
Not Compatible with Pro Tools 8
  • Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
  • Windows 64-bit OS

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-07-2008, 10:40 AM

Thanks.

Ok, now will somone explain this to me, please?

I fail to understand the logic behind such a decision. Since most professional audo / video users are aiming absolutely at the highest performance and stability they can get from their systems and since x64 operating systems (and notably the new Windows 7 which will come out very shortly, as reported) are built especially around this multi-core processor and 64bits philosophy, how can a company like Digidesign release the new 2009 version of what's possibly the most popular professional audio application and not support 64 bit os? It's illogical to me and if there's someone who knows the technicallity behind this, i'd love to know.

An owner of M-POWERED 7.4 (and soon 8) on profire 2626

Thanks a lot,
D
Old 11-10-2008, 10:40 AM

Because Digi insists on making its customers pay top dollar for code they developed 10 years ago and for them to invest time and man-power into actually writing new code to actually take advantage of "Current" technology wouldbe...absurd...
Why would you want more than 2-4 MB Ram on a program that is a Ram hog?
STUPID
640GB(Mac) 640GB(Windows 7) 1TB(Audio Drive)
Digi-002 Factory and M-box
LE 8.0.3 (Mac) 8.0.3 (PC)
Old 11-10-2008, 01:33 PM

So... you guys are programmers and understand how difficult it would be to make Pro Tools compatible with 64bit OS?

I thought not.

And as far as I was aware, the only "other company" that has done it successfully is Cakewalk. Even that only just recently came out of official "beta" status. Cubase is still in beta for 64bit compatibility. Vegas is the only Sony product that I'm aware of that is 64bit (and that capability is brand new). Reaper has a 64bit version, but it's still in Beta. The list goes on... hell even Microsoft can't really get the 64bit thing quite right in the operating system. Seriously.

Let me ask you guys another question; how many third party plugins can you name that are 64bit compatible?

Here's another one; how many third party hardware peripherals can you name that are 64bit compatible?

IMHO, Pro Tools wouldn't be anywhere close to productive if you could only use the stock plugins and hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christodoulidesd View Post
I fail to understand the logic behind such a decision. Since most professional audo / video users are aiming absolutely at the highest performance and stability they can get from their systems and since x64 operating systems (and notably the new Windows 7 which will come out very shortly, as reported) are built especially around this multi-core processor and 64bits philosophy, how can a company like Digidesign release the new 2009 version of what's possibly the most popular professional audio application and not support 64 bit os?
Simple answer; because the 64bit OS is not, under any circumstances, "stable" and/or "reliable".

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Avid

That's not the reason at all (referring to digifriend).

No one working here is resting on their laurels or purposefully delaying the release of anything. It would be extremely bad business for us to do so. Any delays are due to the extent of engineering resources necessary to make it happen.

The bigger picture is that there have been significant OS roadblocks to 64 bit support in Pro Tools, only recently addressed by service pack updates. Not to mention the overall problems almost everyone has seen with Vista. There were enough OS issues with Leopard through it's first few versions to make development even for a 32 bit OS time-consuming. Now we have Windows 7 and Snow Leopard coming down the pike, with all the new coding that will be necessary to support them.

At any company you have to deal with the realities of how to properly manage the engineering resources you have available. With the plethora of OS versions, the need to keep developing new features so people buy your products which allow you to stay in business and fixing issues specific to each platform and OS, it's not easy to do. Of course we want to do it and as soon as possible, however the reality is that it's a large undertaking.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post

Let me ask you guys another question; how many third party plugins can you name that are 64bit compatible?

That would be the worst reason not to make Pro Tools in 64 bit. That's like Microsoft saying why should we make windows 64 bit if Pro Tools and all other apps are 32 bit. They aren't gonna have plug-ins in 64 bit until the host applications are 64 bit. Microsoft went first now it's Pro Tools turn then plugins.

I kind of feel bad for digi because they seem to be falling behind on all these new OS's coming out. It's gonna be hard to catch up. I'd maybe go for getting a bunch of temp freelance programmers. At least get some betas out and make more money on upgrades. It's not gonna matter if you spread out paying programmers for 1000 hours of work over a period of 4 years or 1 year. At least 1 year you can be making money on upgrades. Although support would probably cause issues.

I do have to say I was very impressed with the very few bugs they had on the Vista version. They defiantly seem to be doing solid testing now. I remember XP being a disaster on the initial release. Maybe that was just my system though.

I'm a programmer so I know what it's like and years to do this sounds a little strange to me. I am sure they want to do it right and am taking their time but still Digi better limit their programmers access to the internet. They probably are playing games and surfing the web 4 hours a day. We get people like that at my place. They are horrible.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:40 AM

I am not going that far, to say that Digi programmers are surfing the web or playing 3d games instead of making better code.

It might be a mixture of engineering "resources" as they say, AND some defective vision in their upper management chain.

To say that they never had the intention to LIMIT Pro Tools (native) capabilities is to simply LIE.

Even in PT 8 they're limiting tons of things.

And what about delay compensation? A mostly dead horse in PT case, I'm not going to beat again....

When will be realize that Steinberg, Apple and other companies have been behaving much better with us paying customers than Digi, from at least 4-5 years ago?
Old 11-14-2008, 08:58 AM

It's pretty disappointing when you picture someone with 64 bit Vista, 16 GB's of ram to play "freecell" once a day. The person marvels at how quickly they free the captive cards and how effortless their system can handle 2 games at once should they feel a little daring today.

Meanwhile us 32 bitters have to mix down our virtual instruments(with limited orchestration and of course limited effects)so we can lay vocals down with convolution reverb on a new session.

Must be nice having 16 gb's of ram that doesn't mean 1 computer and 3 slaves(for some of us). Oh those Appletypes live in a paradise and have done so for years. Us Digidesign users have to wonder if Pro Tools has become the Beta of the music production wars?
Old 11-14-2008, 02:15 PM

Does this mean Snow Leopard will be unusable when it arrives next year.