Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2003, 11:50 PM

Default Do I need a new Mac??

I just bought a Digi002 rack and am using it on my G4/350- I can hardly get 4 tracks recorded before it basically locks up. I am only using 1 plugin per track and yet it just runs out of steam. Do I need a new G4?? I suppose the prices on G4's have come down since the G5 was introduced. Is there any point in using this "outdated" G4/350? It seems like I need a dual processor 1Gig model.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:21 AM

Default Re: Do I need a new Mac??

Hi Big Red,
I am basically in a similar situation as you. I have a 400 Mhz G4 running a 001 and ProTools LE on Mac OSX with veerrrry sloooow results. I happened to walk by a current issue of Macworld magazine at the store and saw an article on upgrade cards for older G4's. In short, there are four companies out there that make upgrade cards for Mac's like mine and yours, running up to 1.4 Ghz for much less than the price of a new Mac. I bought a 1.4 Mgz processor upgrade card from Powerlogix at Macmall.com for $450. They sell some of the other upgrade processors there as well. Powerlogix also offers dual processor upgrades (for more money of course) up to a dual 1.4 for $999. I saw a dual 1 Ghz upgrade for $600.
I have yet to get my new processor in the mail so I can't tell you how well it works but I posted a query on this site and got a helpfull response from someone running ProTools LE on an upgrade card with no problems. Also note that ProTools LE 6.1 won't run on a G5 so before spending good cash on a faster newer G4 that technically is already obsolete, think about an upgraded processor.