Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2013, 04:34 AM

Default Re: A way to use your VST's in Pro Tools 11 [Legit, and Stable!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder6oy View Post
This is very interesting to me. Is it possible using Magma to set up a single instance per track and be able to load up a "channel strip" of saved vst plugins on each of those tracks? If so, that would be one heckuva feature that would justify the cost easily.
It appears you can, you can save your chain of VST's as a preset inside of Magma. Only thing I've noticed is that some plug-ins do crash or don't load settings properly when you do so, so you may be better off saving individual pre-sets for the VST's and adding them all the the chain again.

THe process is fairly painless though for the most part. Big issues with MixIR2 and various other Cab-IR sims but MixIR2 is coming to AAX soon anyway. Works fine on the LePou amp sims though, just not the cab loaders. Not sure why that is...

PC: Windows 7 64-Bit, ASRock Extreme 4 x79 Mobo, Intel Core i7-3820K @3.6Ghz, Kingston HyperX 16GB Ram, OCZ Vertex 3 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Green 2TB HDD, GeForce 560Ti GPU, SIIG TI Firewire Card, PT Keyboard.
O/B: Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Focusrite Liquid Mix 32, Alesis D4 Drum Module, Alesis MIDIVerb4, M-Audio Axiom 49 v2, M-Audio BX8a's, Audix DP7
Old 07-27-2013, 05:09 AM

Offline bounce crash (Demo)
B4 I buy....?

Any non-demo users with Waves, Altiverb, NI FX? (Working)

I tried Altiverb and waves V9 vst 316 stereo.
Crash on offline.*

*Update: restart and the bounce went well.

Also some nice stock Magma plugs as well.

Last edited by DetroitT; 07-27-2013 at 08:37 AM. Reason: update
Old 07-31-2013, 12:51 PM

I'm still holding off on the purchase due to it's stability and the VST Chainer being a bit flaky still. Wonder if Nomad Factory would come here and comment... (I bloody hate companies with no forums!)

PC: Windows 7 64-Bit, ASRock Extreme 4 x79 Mobo, Intel Core i7-3820K @3.6Ghz, Kingston HyperX 16GB Ram, OCZ Vertex 3 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Green 2TB HDD, GeForce 560Ti GPU, SIIG TI Firewire Card, PT Keyboard.
O/B: Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Focusrite Liquid Mix 32, Alesis D4 Drum Module, Alesis MIDIVerb4, M-Audio Axiom 49 v2, M-Audio BX8a's, Audix DP7
Old 12-31-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Not quite as limited as you think. Remember, you've got Rewire there. So, here's what I do if I want to use a VSTi in Reaper, but want to use some of the PT processing on the output.

1)Set up an instrument track and instantiate Reaper as you normally would. Assign the Reaper to Tracks 1&2.
2)In Reaper, create your instrument track and assign the input to MIDI channel 1 (or whatever MIDI channel you want to use)
3)Set up a MIDI track in Pro Tools and point the MIDI out to whatever MIDI channel you just assigned to your Reaper instrument.
4)Then, set up an AUX (stereo or mono, depending on what you want) track in Pro Tools, and instantiate Reaper on that, only this time assign the output to 3&4 (for stereo) or just 3 or 4 for mono.
5)In Reaper go to the Matrix and have the output of the instrument assigned to the outputs you just assigned on the Aux track.
6)If you did this right, the audio from the Reaper VSTi will now be coming out of the AUX track in PT, and you can then use whatever PT plugins you wish to process further.
7) Now record your part on the MIDI track you created above.
8)Rinse and repeat for other Reaper instruments. If you don't want to use any PT processing on some of them, then skip the AUX track part, and just assign the Reaper instruments to the main Reaper out 1&2 and you can hear them through the PT Instrument track. Use the Reaper mixer as a sub-mix in your total PT mix.

Also, I'd suggest you solo safe both the MIDI track and the Main Reaper instrument track in PT. That way, all you have to do is solo the Aux track if you want to hear just that. Or, if your not using an AUX track on some VSTi, just solo the MIDI track.

This also works with Reason and rewire, by the way.

Have fun!

Have you ever tried hosting 32 bit VSTs in Reaper(64) while rewired to Pro Tools 11? If so, did it require jBridge?
Old 12-31-2013, 10:44 AM

Nope! Works fine without it!

Old 09-05-2014, 09:22 AM

Hey Donald,

I think I've watched your YouTube video (it uses the identical setup, so I'm assuming it was you). However, I can't get it to work here with my setup of Pro Tools 11 and Reaper.

I can record MIDI just fine, and can play the VST plugin from my keyboard without any trouble, but can't get Pro Tools to then play the MIDI data when I playback my track.

I suspect it's a setting in Reaper that I'm missing; is there a setting somewhere that might be the cause of this?

In Reaper, I have the plugin's input set to MIDI channel 1 (not ReWire or my interface); I assume that's correct, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Not quite as limited as you think. Remember, you've got Rewire there. So, here's what I do if I want to use a VSTi in Reaper, but want to use some of the PT processing on the output.

1)Set up an instrument track and instantiate Reaper as you normally would. Assign the Reaper to Tracks 1&2.
2)In Reaper, create your instrument track and assign the input to MIDI channel 1 (or whatever MIDI channel you want to use)
3)Set up a MIDI track in Pro Tools and point the MIDI out to whatever MIDI channel you just assigned to your Reaper instrument.
4)Then, set up an AUX (stereo or mono, depending on what you want) track in Pro Tools, and instantiate Reaper on that, only this time assign the output to 3&4 (for stereo) or just 3 or 4 for mono.
5)In Reaper go to the Matrix and have the output of the instrument assigned to the outputs you just assigned on the Aux track.
6)If you did this right, the audio from the Reaper VSTi will now be coming out of the AUX track in PT, and you can then use whatever PT plugins you wish to process further.
7) Now record your part on the MIDI track you created above.
8)Rinse and repeat for other Reaper instruments. If you don't want to use any PT processing on some of them, then skip the AUX track part, and just assign the Reaper instruments to the main Reaper out 1&2 and you can hear them through the PT Instrument track. Use the Reaper mixer as a sub-mix in your total PT mix.

Also, I'd suggest you solo safe both the MIDI track and the Main Reaper instrument track in PT. That way, all you have to do is solo the Aux track if you want to hear just that. Or, if your not using an AUX track on some VSTi, just solo the MIDI track.

This also works with Reason and rewire, by the way.

Have fun!
Old 09-05-2014, 09:35 AM

i SWEAR by Blue Cat's Patchworks

it opens ALL my VST's

simple, cheap, $79, and does the job
Old 12-21-2015, 03:42 PM

How are you all. I downloaded reaper to check out some microtuning synths on PT8/windows 7. When I open the synths on Raper as a stand alone, my midi keyboard triggers them without issues -activating the realtek digital port as well as the maudio fast track pro sound card. However, when I use reaper within protools, the virtual instruments in protools are triggered but the ones riding on reaper do not respond to the midi input. I will take all advice. If anyone can help, Id appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:17 AM

Through Dont Krack.com there is a sale on all Nomad Factory Plugins until the end of May 2016. Magma is available for 39.99

I was going to buy Blue Cats Patchwork but this is half the price AND comes w/ plugins people have said nice things about, so worst case scenario if its **** for getting VST's into PT i can still get Patchwork later and it wont be a total waste. I will post more when I download/try it. Big question i want to answer: will Novation Nocturn Automap work w/ VST's through Magma as it has been reported to do with Patchwork.

-J
Old 01-15-2017, 07:16 PM

I watched this video of Russ numerous times I have the exact setting PT 11 native on a mac and waves plug ins hosted on a PC and the routing is confusing.
Can someone break it down step by step ?
I