Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 03-03-2020, 03:12 AM

Default What are they talking about?

I bought a Thunderbolt and HD Omni Interface awhile ago, and I'm just getting around to setting it up and figuring it out.

I'm used to working with HD Systems with a console and all that.

The manual for the Omni says:

"with Omni HD, Delay Compensation is not supported on the Monitor output paths. Delay Compensation is only supported on the physical output paths
(those not assigned for the monitor path)"

Maybe I am missing the obvious, but what does that mean, exactly?

Enlighten me, please.

Best,

mightyduck
Old 03-03-2020, 12:16 PM

Default Re: What are they talking about?

Yeah, I can't decode that either. But I will mention that Low Latency Monitoring with that setup is only available from the Omni output, not from the headphone jack on the TB box. LLM happens physically inside the Omni. Could that be related to what they're trying to tell us? I dunno.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:10 PM

Like what is the difference between the "monitor output paths" and the "physical output paths"? Doesn't it all go through the same circuit / tsp? You have to monitor from a physical output, right?

Anyone? I think I am not understanding something basic to this box.

Best,

mightyduck
Old 03-03-2020, 06:14 PM

Old review here
Old 03-04-2020, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Old review here
Thanks. I saw that, but, well, TLDR. : ) It does initially confirm my belief that this is kind of a weird piece of gear. I guess I should wade through it, and see if it makes any sense to me. Did you find it helpful?

Do you have a short "cliff-notes" explanation by any chance.

EDIT: I read the whole article. Not a lot of answers there, as far as I can tell. What am I missing?

Thanks,

mightyduck

Last edited by mightyduck; 03-04-2020 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:29 AM

The AVID I/O boxes have the capability to correct and automatically time align for the couple of cycles of latency introduced by the A/D and D/A process. This is available on all the Avid I/O channels. It appears that on the Omni that this correction is not available on the monitor output path. I cannot see why this would be a problem, unless you were using the monitor output as a line output.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:29 AM

Default What are they talking about?

I use the omni quite successfully in my setup. Unfortunately I’m away from it for the weekend and can’t for the life of me remember how I set it up.

Suffice to say I don’t use any of the control functions or mixer on the omni and effectively treat is as another 8 I/O.

I do use outputs 1&2 as my monitor signal but it comes out at line level and bypasses all the other functionality and connects straight to my dangerous monitor ST.

I use the other 3-8 outputs to feed a Burl Vancouver along with 2 other HD I/Os and a 192 to fill the rest of the Burl.

When I get back I’ll take some screenshots and let you know how I have it set up.

Mac Mini 8,1 (2018) | 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel i7 | 64GB Ram | Apple 27" LED Cinema | 2TB System Drive | LaCie Rugged USB-C 2TB SSD NVMe Audio Drive | UAD-2 Quad Satellite (Firewire)

macOS Catalina 10.15.7 | Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.7 | Avid HDX TB3 Chassis | HDX | Avid Omni | Avid 16x16 HD I/O x2 | Digidesign 192 | Digidesign C24
Old 03-07-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.engineer View Post
I use the omni quite successfully in my setup. Unfortunately I’m away from it for the weekend and can’t for the life of me remember how I set it up.

Suffice to say I don’t use any of the control functions or mixer on the omni and effectively treat is as another 8 I/O.

I do use outputs 1&2 as my monitor signal but it comes out at line level and bypasses all the other functionality and connects straight to my dangerous monitor ST.

I use the other 3-8 outputs to feed a Burl Vancouver along with 2 other HD I/Os and a 192 to fill the rest of the Burl.

When I get back I’ll take some screenshots and let you know how I have it set up.
Thank you. So you are able to get the analog outputs to output audio from a Pro Tools session, while setting both the main and alt monitor paths [in the monitor tab of the Hardware Setup] to "none"?

Do the meters work?

The manual is really wonky in the way it describes things, and it seems to me that someone from Avid Techsupport could chime in here and explain a few things. In looking around, I see that I am not the only person having issues with the setup.

I ask the same question again. Is it possible to play 8 separate time-aligned channels of audio from a Pro Tools session with the Omni, without using the monitor path [e.g. while setting both the main and alt monitor configs to "none"]?

Best,

mightyduck
Old 03-10-2020, 10:05 PM

Export as .pio file

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Export as .pio file

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But then it only saves the I/O settings, or does it also save Hardware Setup?

mightyduck