Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 05-27-2019, 09:11 AM

Default Dragging audio from Finder duplicate tracks

This has been present in at least as far back as 2018. Usually when I drag in multiple audio files from the finder into a project, it will create the tracks I'm expecting for the new audio files, but then also creates doubles which have the audio on them as well.

What I mean:
1) Drag kick.aif, snare.aif, hats.aif into a session
2) The tracks created are as follows:
Kick
Snare
Hats
Kick.1
Snare.1
Hats.1

Sometimes I'll get third or forth duplicates as well which get labeled .2, .3 and so on.

This has nothing to do with stereo tracks being de-interleved into monos. These are exact duplicates referencing the same audio files. This was occuring all last year on 2018 with High Sierra and now on my freshly installed 2019.5 on a new computer on Mojave.

Please make it stop.

Last edited by Teej; 05-27-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Dragging audio from Finder duplicate tracks

Can't duplicate no matter what I do. 3 or 70 tracks dragged in. mono or 7.1.

Only difference is I don't use the ancient AIF format. Only Wav.
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire HD10 + Max11, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.5 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Old 05-27-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Can't duplicate no matter what I do. 3 or 70 tracks dragged in. mono or 7.1.

Only difference is I don't use the ancient AIF format. Only Wav.
"Ancient AIF" - you do realise WAV format is nearly as old, right?
Old 05-27-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
and that AIF can have metadata attached unlike WAV (hence the need for BWF...although according to wikipedia WAV can carry metadata in the INFO chunk, although I've never seen metadata handled well with pure WAV files.)

I just made it happen dragging in a combination of MP3 and WAV files. I am unable to make it happen with only WAV files right now, although I feel like it's happened to me before.

It never happens with single files.

Tried dragging in an MP3. Created one stereo track. Dragged in that same MP3 and another MP3, it creates four stereo tracks.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:30 AM

Also seems to be related to this bug:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404914
Old 05-27-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Yes. But always evolving. Whereas AIF is dead.
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire HD10 + Max11, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.5 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Old 05-27-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
Also seems to be related to this bug:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404914
Right now it is two people guessing... so... may be related, may not. You should find out if there are commonalities in your systems. Or if the other guy has your drag and drop problem. Because if he doesn't but only the "longstanding" preset issue (ha... "longstanding"... presets were only introduced with something like 2018.1), then it shoots a hole in them being related.

I've only tried my home system. Going to 3 other studio systems in a little while and will try those though I haven't seen it happen and none of the other engineers (at least 9 of us) have mentioned it happening amongst the many, many PT systems we have in use. They are all Ultimate though.
Maybe it doesn't happen with those.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Right now it is two people guessing... so... may be related, may not. You should find out if there are commonalities in your systems. Or if the other guy has your drag and drop problem. Because if he doesn't but only the "longstanding" preset issue (ha... "longstanding"... presets were only introduced with something like 2018.1), then it shoots a hole in them being related.

I've only tried my home system. Going to 3 other studio systems in a little while and will try those though I haven't seen it happen and none of the other engineers (at least 9 of us) have mentioned it happening amongst the many, many PT systems we have in use. They are all Ultimate though.
Maybe it doesn't happen with those.
Cool, make sure to try dragging in multiple MP3s at the same time, maybe some WAVS at the same time for good measure. This only happens when dragging in as to create new tracks, not dragging audio from the Finder onto existing tracks.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:16 PM

I haven't had the duplicate track problem upon dragging from the finder, only the duplicate presets creation bug.

I did however (and reported it) have a situation where dragging a stereo wav from the finder to a stereo (yes, for sure stereo) track turned the audio file into mono with the same wav shape on top and bottom. But so far have not had this with Mojave and 19.5.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
Cool, make sure to try dragging in multiple MP3s at the same time, maybe some WAVS at the same time for good measure. This only happens when dragging in as to create new tracks, not dragging audio from the Finder onto existing tracks.
Three systems. All Ultimate 19.5 and Sierra 10.12.6 (my home system I first tried was High Sierra 10.13.6.)

Zero issues.

Have you tried taking a different (new) drive, doing a clean install of macOS and install Pro Tools and see what happens?