Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2012, 05:17 PM

Default PRE POST AUX sends trouble

I did my first talking head event on a profile last night, I had some configuration problems and hope to get some help from others here. I had a play as part of the event, just some head mics interacting with each other. I had a SCM810 with me and used the aux sends to feed the SCM810. I placed the sends in POST on the input channel screen and found it did not send the true POST FADER and POST EQ signal as it showes on the Flow Chart in the user guide. I cannot believe that this is the way this console works, I must believe I did something wrong. If not and this is truly the way it works, then I will forever remove this from my list of usable devices. There must be a place to send Post EQ, Post Fader, Post Mute signals to the Aux sends. Otherwise how can you use this mixer for monitors with band using things that are not used on every song, like acoustic guitars, acoustic pianos, multiple guitar amps….
I hope someone can show me where I went wrong
Config was as follows
Inputs 1-8 sent to aux 9-16 Pre fader button is GRAY, also assigned to group 1 as my panic buypass.
One mic to each aux, then routed to Stage rack outputs.
SR outputs to SCM810 inputs
Scm810 output to ch 9 input, assigned to a group 3
Hand helds assigned to group 2
Old 03-11-2012, 07:46 PM

Default Re: PRE POST AUX sends trouble

Keith,

The PRE/POST next to the AUX levels simply indicate which mode. You need to go to Options-Busses and then at the top portion of that screen you can specify the exact pick-off point for the signal. If you want to include the channel strip dynamics or any plug-ins you have inserted on the channel just select the last option which is "Pre-Fader". Sheldon or anyone else let me know if I'm off track here.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:34 PM

I believe that is what I did. I will be back in the shop on Tuesday and I hope to set up the console there to verify my experience. Under the BUSSES tab I selected the Pre-Fader. In the PICKOFFS everything was placed in the POST-FADER mode. I found I could not MUTE the channels going to the automixer, and the channel EQ appeared to be missing. I only tried this one time after the mics had EQ applied. I had to cut a lot of 10k-15k out of them because of glass in the room. When i used the automixer I found it was still there. But I do have my file to verify the setup, So I will keep you posted.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:33 PM

Yeah bro, don't sweat it. It is not the console...I use your setup quite frequently...post fader, post EQ and post mute. Just a configuration error. =)

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 03-13-2012, 12:43 AM

There was obviously an config error pre fader vs post mute, but I am interested to know how this Shure unit you are using is helping you, does it have some sort if gates in it?
Old 03-13-2012, 12:49 PM

Turns out as I thought it was MY ERROR!!!!

I think doing a show with half the Walmart cold and flue over the counter meds in my system was not the best decision I have ever made. Everything works as expected today. Not a glitch anyplace. I even found the little letters in the Direct out patch points for more options, which is how I will do this in the future.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
There was obviously an config error pre fader vs post mute, but I am interested to know how this Shure unit you are using is helping you, does it have some sort if gates in it?
The Shure SCM810 is an Automixer. Not as good as a Dugan, but more than fine for this event.