Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2011, 03:57 PM

Default Anyone Seen This NEW System Requirement for HDX?

Just heard about this by accident when reading the PT 10 HDX Manual a few days ago online after first being told that my 8 Core was on the Qualified list..
As of 12-22-11 it's not anymore:
Mac
Apple Mac Pro (Nehalem/Westmere models only)
Mac OS X Lion (32- or 64-bit)
2 GB of RAM (4 GB or more recommended)
Minimum 15 GB free hard disk space for Pro Tools installation
USB port for iLok authorization (plus, Internet connection for software download)

SEE THE HIGHLIGHTED IN RED:
http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...3=1083&Hilite=
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 12-27-2011, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Anyone Seen This NEW System Requirement for HDX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
Just heard about this by accident when reading the PT 10 HDX Manual a few days ago online after first being told that my 8 Core was on the Qualified list..
As of 12-22-11 it's not anymore:
Mac
Apple Mac Pro (Nehalem/Westmere models only)
Mac OS X Lion (32- or 64-bit)
2 GB of RAM (4 GB or more recommended)
Minimum 15 GB free hard disk space for Pro Tools installation
USB port for iLok authorization (plus, Internet connection for software download)

SEE THE HIGHLIGHTED IN RED:
http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...3=1083&Hilite=
Max said this in several posts just after they announced.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:23 PM

my Mac Pro xeon 2007 is not qualified, i's so upset that i will run my HD2 for at least 5 years with ALL DIGIDESIGN PLUG INS RUNNING SMOOTLY
AND ALL PLUG ON THE MARKET RUNNING SMOOTLY AS WELL,
and the money saved for a new mac pro new HDX and PT 10, will stay in my pocket, thanks again AVID, you are the best in making people using other software
Old 12-27-2011, 04:55 PM

this was clearly stated from the onset that the first 3 gerrations of Mac Pros were not compatible do things outside of Avids control, namely Apple

for anyone to bitch and wine about it is juvenile

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-27-2011, 08:03 PM

Seriously, how much are you going to lose if sell your old mac pro and but a used nehalem to replace it? Compared to the cost of the hdx cards, that's like adding a frosty from the Wendy's 99 cent menu. (on an unrelated note, those things are TINY now!)

Sent from my sub-epic jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3g running on a cheap pay-as-you-go T-HOBObile plan using Tapatalk

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:20 PM

Anyhow, this is of course not boosting the sales of the HDX cards. A very strange thing that they can´t make them compatible with all Intel Mac Pros.
I mean it is pretty bad timing as the current Mac Pro line is kind of dated and there should be a new lineup on the horizon.
Also the Harpertown Mac Pros, ( Can´t understand why AVID is not using the official wording when describing the Mac Pro btw...) EARLY 2008 is still doing a good work performance wise especially if you are into some kind of DSP card market...
Old 12-28-2011, 12:26 PM

This problem is easily solved by removing the firmware update function from the ProTools software and releasing it as a separate update utility. Then people could just update the cards in a compatible computer. But Avid's attitude is "go f2@k yourself." Or they can't afford to do it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/steveden...-in-the-world/
Old 12-28-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lang View Post
This problem is easily solved by removing the firmware update function from the ProTools software and releasing it as a separate update utility. Then people could just update the cards in a compatible computer. But Avid's attitude is "go f2@k yourself." Or they can't afford to do it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/steveden...-in-the-world/
like that would work

if they were truly tiring to maximize the share holders profit they would have crippled the cards power and made it work on more systems for more sales

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-28-2011, 02:30 PM

Reading it now, the second half of my post (the link) doesn't make much sense and is off topic. I was thinking of this part of the article: (italics mine)

"He might also build on the theme that the shift from maximizing shareholder value to delighting the customer doesn’t involve sacrifices for the shareholders, the organizations or the economy. That’s because delighting the customer is not just profitable: it’s hugely profitable."

I think Avid needs to read this article and make the shift. That's why I keep repeating this theme like a broken record around here.

Holiday fuzziness!
Old 12-29-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
this was clearly stated from the onset that the first 3 gerrations of Mac Pros were not compatible do things outside of Avids control, namely Apple

for anyone to bitch and wine about it is juvenile
This one reminds me of an angry parent who had a bad day.

I think you misread my tone of the email I posted. I was not "Bitching and Moaning" about this. Just was told by my vendor that mine was fine to upgrade. This waa several months ago when it was first announced. Sorry I did not meet your expectations for awareness:)

So many people on this DUC seem to have a burr up their behinds when only a few people offer assistance to the users here. I am starting a feature and it would have been great to have had this upgrade without buying a new mac, since I just got a new laptop recently. That's all:)

Sorry I upset you with my post, but you might want to be more pleasant? Just a thought.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS