Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2003, 10:36 PM

Default RE: this post "No Firewire recognition..." Who\'s had trouble with ADS Pyro Drive kit?

I inadvertently powered down a brand new IBM 80gb drive (I'll call it #1) in an external chassis running to one of the Firewire ports on my G4/800. It was mounted on the desktop, but Pro Tools was NOT launched and no session was running. After rebooting everything, the drive would not appear on the desktop. Neither would my other external indentical FW drive (I'll call #2) which was showing up fine until then.

I took the drives over to a G3/450 with 9.2.2 Firewire drivers installed on it and #2 showed up fine right off the bat. I rebuilt the directory with Disk Warrior anyway. #1 would not show up/mount and was making a sluggish spin-up, slow down, spin-up sound. Like it was never getting fully up to speed. I put #1 in a different external enclosure and it worked fine, spun up and mounted on the desktop of the G3. So I rebuilt #1's directory with Disk Warrior too, and then took both back to the G4. Once there, neither drive mounts, just as before.

Ran my Sony DV cam into Firewire, no picture. It's as if the Firewire ports on the G4 aren't working on anything. I'm going to try reloading the 9.2.2 Firewire drivers, but any idea what's going on here? Did that simple power-down fry the Firewire ports or corrupt the software in some way? Ran Norton, but "No problems found" on the boot drive.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:31 AM

Default Re: RE: this post "No Firewire recognition..." Who\'s had trouble with ADS Pyro Drive kit?

Anyone have a direction to try to solve this? I'm dead in the water and would appreciate help.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:00 AM

Default Re: RE: this post "No Firewire recognition..." Who\'s had trouble with ADS Pyro Drive kit?

If it's not the cable, then:

Insert your system CD and boot with it.

If your FW drives don't mount, then it's a hardware problem, send it back to the store for a motherboard replacement. If it's OK then reinstall the system.

JC
Old 01-31-2003, 01:58 PM

I had a bus powered 2.5" firewire drive fry itself and both firewire ports on my G4. Needed a new motherboard.

What enclosures r u using?
Old 01-31-2003, 04:00 PM

Had a similar situation with G4 500. It was static electricity sent down the firewire cable/connector when it was disconnected, and required a new motherboard.Luckily it was 2 weeks before the end of warranty.
Even if it wasn't static, it does sound like the same result as mine - hardware.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:46 PM

Ragbor

Do you have other cards in your computer(third party)?

If yes, try something(I had similar problem with my LaCie CD-RW)

1- When everything is turned off, open your computer.

2- Remove and re-insert all of your PCI cards inside your computer. Pay attention to seat them well in place after.

3- Find the Kudo switch(Zap P-Ram switch) near the battery

4- Push this switch. (You are REALLY zapping the P-Ram!!)
This is not the equivalent to Command+Option+PR on startup but a REAL ZAP!!

5- Re-plug everything in your computer.

6- Turn on peripherals (your FW hard disks for example)

7- Reboot and then your hd should mount!

8- If not, check in your system profiler(under the Apple menu) if in the peripheral stuff your devices connected to your FW ports show off.

9- If everything is NOW fine(hope so) go to your control panel to bring back your settings(date&time, mouse settings, etc)

10- Now you should have a smiling face!

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2003, 06:00 PM

I've learned this from the PC world [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Never tought that could happen to a Mac! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2003, 12:01 AM

Had the same type of problem with a firewire external drive. However I was getting a bizzare error message that I can't remember. I had to reinstall 9.2.2. everything was fine after that.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:01 AM

Thanks to all,

The reinstallation of OS 9.2.2 did nothing.

Maxerg: I'll try the internal zap button as a last resort, but I fear it is the motherboard. The system profiler says there is nothing connected to the FW ports when the drives are connected. I did try removing all 3d party cards and rebooted but still no go. I put one of the drives in the internal bay for the moment so I'm able to work.

Matt: The external FW cases are made by ADS, purchased at Fry's for $100 each. The 1st one has been fine for months, but this recently purchased one is as dead as my G4's FW ports. I wonder if anyone else had this problem with the ADS API-800 cases?
Old 02-01-2003, 02:25 AM

Let me just chime in here and say that i had major problems last year with several ADS external Firewire enclosures. Same problem too..After a while they just would not show up anymore or had to be reinitialized...One I lost a BUNCH of data as a result...After sending the unit back to ADS and getting a replacement, I had an identical problem under OS9.1 with the new drive....After a couple months of frustration I finally gave up and got rid of the ADS external Firewire cases alltogether..I think it's Their Hardware personally...