Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2007, 06:14 AM

Default New PCIe 2 slots

If Apple are potentially going to produce newer Macs with PCIe 2 (apparently 3rd quarter of 2007) which will be quicker then the current PCIe, does this mean Digidesign will have yet another costly upgrade for its loyal customers? I reckon we currently have the technology to produce lets say a PCIe 5 with a 10ghz processor and be done with it, these greedy companies are slowly staggering old technology for maximum sales and profits! Fair enough, with the older D24 & Mix systems you had a few years between each upgrade, but now ever since HD, it seems to be every few months...why doesn't Digidesign sit down with Apple to discuss this issue before loyal Digi customers look for an alternative?
Old 01-10-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Re: New PCIe 2 slots

PCIE 2.0 will be backward compatible with PCIE. What I haven't heard yet is wether you be able to mix card types without the whole thing reverting back to PCIE 1.0 speeds.

Digidesign has nothing to do with setting PCI standards they only build equipment that meets those standards

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-10-2007, 03:45 PM

I think it is a Good idea for Digi to sit down with Apple and discuss PCI Card Standards. Even though Digi is forced to follow the lead of Apple's standards. Digi and Avid are probably the single biggest maker of PCI Cards for Audio/Media Production for the Mac. I'm shure Apple is aware of Digi's impact on the Audio production Market as it relates to Macs. Apple should be aware that there are many Audio Professionals who are not happy with so many chyanges to the PCI standards for Macs.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:25 PM

were did you hear this?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-11-2007, 12:43 AM

Quote:
[…] (a) I'm shure Apple is aware of Digi's impact on the Audio production Market as it relates to Macs. (b) Apple should be aware that there are many Audio Professionals who are not happy with so many chyanges to the PCI standards for Macs.
(a) What you write rings true. At the same time, Apple — with its own releases and acquisitions — is set out to eat Avid and Digi’s lunch. Make of that what you will.

(b) All hardware manufacturers are aware that format changes are a burden to their customers. In their hearts (deep inside their bodies), they may very well side with users and commiserate (vicariously, that is). However, the simple and inescapable truth is that the rat race is on for everybody. Like it or not, it’s the nature of everything.

As an audio professional, I find it far more annoying/disturbing that — with the exception of servers — Apple isn’t offering a rack-mountable solution, all-the-while touting its “commitment to media authoring professionals.” And yes, they remain keenly aware of it.

PS: From the Full-Disclosure Dept: I own some Apple stock.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 01-11-2007, 05:49 PM

Yes the "rat race" is on.... Faster and faster computers and hardware. But with all this great technology I find it hard to believe that Apple couldn't make PCIe Computer that is Backward compatible with PCI. I mean that's the whole problem here isn't it ?

If the New and and Better PCIe computers could also accomodate a "standard" PCI card then we would all be much happier right ?

Old 01-11-2007, 06:38 PM

you are kidding aren't you ( I can't tell)

about a 1/4 of the way down, right hand side you will see the differences
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-12-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Yes the "rat race" is on.... Faster and faster computers and hardware. But with all this great technology I find it hard to believe that Apple couldn't make PCIe Computer that is Backward compatible with PCI. I mean that's the whole problem here isn't it ?

If the New and and Better PCIe computers could also accomodate a "standard" PCI card then we would all be much happier right ?

You'd think they would realise this is stopping some people buying a new computer. It also makes you think hard about upgrading pro tools cards because you could be left behind a month or two after a new purchase now.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:

You'd think they would realise this is stopping some people buying a new computer. It also makes you think hard about upgrading pro tools cards because you could be left behind a month or two after a new purchase now.
No kidding. I recently canned the idea of upgrading because of this.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:15 AM

I wonder who is using all this extra speed on the pcie bus. The HD accel cards are the same with either pci or pcie aren't they? I thought the only difference was the core card is accel as well. That is a disadvantage for me because MHLabs channelstrip will not work on an accel chip.