Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2006, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Default Re: upgrading to hd

Quote:
what im really intersted in is getting more tracks, i currently have access to 32 but im going to need more tracks the more the better but i dont want to shell out too much more just to get more tracks so....basically my upgrading would be relying on getting more tracks. all that other stuff is cool but my main concern is more tracks.
In that case I would recommend giving a call to our Presales Product Information department. They have a toll free number in the US. Or your local Digidesign dealer. Contact information for all Digi departments and dealers can be found here:
www.digidesign.com/contact

What you need to determine are a number of things:
How many tracks do you need?
How many simultaneous inputs (and outputs) do you need?
Those are 2 different things.

A Digi 002, 002 Rack, or some M-Audio interfaces will provide up to 18 simultaneous I/O. The basic Pro Tools LE or M-Powered software will play/record up to 32 voices (32 mono or 16 stereo tracks). The addition of the Music Production Toolkit software bundle will add the capability of 48 mono or stereo tracks.

A Pro Tools|24 MIX system will provide 64 tracks, a single Pro Tools|HD1 core card system will provide up to 96 tracks, a Pro Tools|HD 2 (non-Accel, older Process card) will provide up to 128 tracks, and a Pro Tools|HD Accel system will provide up to 192 tracks.

Then there is your budget, which will help determine those choices. Your Digi 001 can also be used as a trade-in for the hardware exchange program to a 002, 002 Rack, or HD system. Digi Presales and dealers also handle the hardware exchange program, and can give you pricing information. A dealer can give you an exact price quote based on what you are interested in.

Users on the DUC can help answer some of these questions, but since there is such a wide range of what is available, it would be better for you to get the questions answered above based on your individual needs and budget. Nobody is trying to ignore or diss you, we just don't have a very clear idea of exactly what you are looking for.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:10 PM

Quote:
...but the whole (read it ! ) comment was not called for...
dude, it's not you, these clown shoes are just too darn tight!

again, you are mis-ascribing tone.

the best thing i can say to you is : whatever system you get, you will be thankful that you were exhorted to read the compatibility docs. they will answer a lot of your questions.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 05-29-2006, 06:21 PM

not really worried about the monetary part( not that i have buttloads to spend) but i know roughly what im looking at i just need more tracks.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:25 PM

yeah 64 trax would be great that would be good if i could get that that would work.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:27 PM

does digi still sell the mix 24 system i didnt see it in the products page( unless i didnt pay attention)
Old 05-29-2006, 06:40 PM

You can only buy a Pro Tools|24 MIX system as a used system from someone other than Digidesign.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:06 PM

so i need to go hd
Old 05-29-2006, 08:25 PM

Quote:
so i need to go hd
If you do not want to buy a used system, yes.