How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2023, 06:29 PM

Default Re: I believe it's time to change DAWs

Hi there,

I recently came to ProTools from other DAWs which I used for years or even decades.

I watched a ton of videos to get up to speed quickly and find ProTools to be really awesome. I am not sure what you are frustrated about with Avid.

I found the process of licensing, installation and getting up and running horrible and would never have gotten thru it without assistance.

I got help from members of this forum and Avid. I felt Avid's support was excellent and wouldn't hesitate to use them again if needed.

It's amazing how stable and powerful ProTools is on a laptop based system. I love tracking in the studio, then taking my laptop with me to edit and clean up the tracks, and back to studio for mixing. I've even mixed ITB with 3rd party plugin emulations of my hardware and achieved great results.

For me ProTools feels like it was written by engineers for engineers. I may be just in the honeymoon phase, but so far I am very impressed and couldn't imagine going to another DAW.

You asked for people to share what they think, so I shared my thoughts.

I am also jealous of you being ProTools certified as you must be able to use a lot more of the features than I am using. I may do that myself next year.

Best of luck to you!
Old 11-11-2023, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Still a PT guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Wheeler View Post
Hi there,

I recently came to ProTools from other DAWs which I used for years or even decades.

I watched a ton of videos to get up to speed quickly and find ProTools to be really awesome. I am not sure what you are frustrated about with Avid.

I found the process of licensing, installation and getting up and running horrible and would never have gotten thru it without assistance.

I got help from members of this forum and Avid. I felt Avid's support was excellent and wouldn't hesitate to use them again if needed.

It's amazing how stable and powerful ProTools is on a laptop based system. I love tracking in the studio, then taking my laptop with me to edit and clean up the tracks, and back to studio for mixing. I've even mixed ITB with 3rd party plugin emulations of my hardware and achieved great results.

For me ProTools feels like it was written by engineers for engineers. I may be just in the honeymoon phase, but so far I am very impressed and couldn't imagine going to another DAW.

You asked for people to share what they think, so I shared my thoughts.

I am also jealous of you being ProTools certified as you must be able to use a lot more of the features than I am using. I may do that myself next year.

Best of luck to you!
Thanks for your input. For the record, I was having a bad day when I posted this an since that time I've spoken to a few people from Avid and have gotten some answers and satisfaction. After all the time I've invested in ProTools I'm not about to abandon it although I am learning S1 to use as another DAW for specific situations.

Pro Tools will always be my go to DAW. I wish I could change the title of this thread, but it won't let me ...
Old 11-12-2023, 08:29 AM

Quote:
...For me ProTools feels like it was written by engineers for engineers. ...!
You've got it!
Old 11-12-2023, 09:14 AM

PT excels in mixing and editing. MIDI is another story. Whichever DAW makes most money for you keep using it.
Old 11-12-2023, 12:54 PM

Quote:
As Bob O said that is correct the people who designed PT did so with the express purpose to have it look and flow like an analog recording studio with a mix console and tape machine

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-13-2023, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
As Bob O said that is correct the people who designed PT did so with the express purpose to have it look and flow like an analog recording studio with a mix console and tape machine

Yup. And I never get tired of using it in or looking at it in Classic mode after all these years just like a classic piece of gear.
It's a classic piece of software. lol

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory
Old 11-15-2023, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take77 View Post
Yup. And I never get tired of using it in or looking at it in Classic mode after all these years just like a classic piece of gear.
It's a classic piece of software. lol
Ha yes well I've been using PT since 2003 but have to confess I am now liking dark mode here is one on my user defined templates

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-15-2023, 11:43 AM

Coming from Logic Pro (with its extensive MIDI editing capabilities) I don’t really find Pro Tools lacking at all… but I play in my MIDI parts and don’t rely on programming much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
PT excels in mixing and editing. MIDI is another story. Whichever DAW makes most money for you keep using it.
Old 11-15-2023, 12:23 PM

Agreed. PT efficiency of workflow has always been a strong suit of my sessions. The amount of new "features" released with so many bugs that cause hangs/crashes or get in the way of workflow has gotten much worse the last few years. Even one minute of downtime in a session can cause a major flow halt to sessions.

In the last two weeks of updating to a new computer and 2023.9, I've had more non-responsive hangs than I ever have.
Instead of throwing a dialog box telling you what caused a crash and clicking to continue, I get so many stalled dialog boxes and beach balls that never resolve themselves, and force a reboot to be safe.
I've diagnosed and resolved many of them on my own, but still getting in the way more than it should. At least we had codes and hints of what was going wrong before.
Old 11-20-2023, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I know Cubase and PT very well, and I do a lot of Midi. I have to say that PT is superior in some very important respects. Real-time editing is extraordinary and unrivalled. Its tempo functions are also very strong and easy to handle. There are prejudices against PT in terms of Midi. Personally, I prefer it.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com