Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2023, 10:36 AM

Default Re: 003 Rack + Mackie Control Universal + M-Audio UNO

UPDATE:

I've contacted M-Audio support. They had me use a program called MIDI Monitor from Snoize. It requires OSX 10.13 so I had to use my laptop which, for reference, is not the system I need to use the 003/MCU with.

This program confirms that both the UNO and MCU are in fact connected properly and communicating as expected. MIDI data is being sent from the MCU through the UNO to the computer just fine. I moved all the faders and pushed every single button. I see the data corresponding to each and every command. I already knew this as I mentioned in the original text that the UNO, connected to my Line 6 POD, connects to the Line 6 software perfectly in both directions. I should mention the MIDI activity LEDs do NOT blink constantly with that application as they do as soon as Pro Tools is launched. The activity is not normal in my opinion. Same issue with the HOSA USM-422...

This firmly places the blame on Pro Tools LE 8.0.5 as far as I'm concerned.

So to sum up for now, everything works correctly except for Pro Tools.

Here is their response to my MIDI monitor experiment:

"Thank you for your reply and details.

It would appear the USB Uno is functioning correctly based on what you have described from your MIDI Monitor test.

MIDI activity at a constant rate would more than likely indicate MMC and/or other synchronization data from ProTools being sent out to the UNO.

We can only recommend looking into Pro Tools LE 8.0.5 and it's compatibility and setup with the devices you are using. Would also suggest looking into details for your Mackie Controller and it's compatibility with Pro Tools LE 8.05."

For reference MMC is not being used nor is any other synchronization. I will absolutely double check but I've already tried that....

Last edited by SonicBoom; 09-15-2023 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Added in M-Audio response.
Old 09-15-2023, 11:03 AM

Okay, consider: You have it working well with midi cables and without the UNO? Then why are you so insistent on using the UNO? With stuff as old as this(and trust me, its old!), if you can get any working configuration, run with that and don't look back.(IOW, if it ain't broke, don't fix it). If you are trying to get more midi stuff working, put this extra stuff on the UNO, but in any case, be aware that you may need to search for older drivers to work on this older stuff(maybe you installed drivers that are not compatible with your hardware and/or OS)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-15-2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Okay, consider: You have it working well with midi cables and without the UNO? Then why are you so insistent on using the UNO? With stuff as old as this(and trust me, its old!), if you can get any working configuration, run with that and don't look back.(IOW, if it ain't broke, don't fix it). If you are trying to get more midi stuff working, put this extra stuff on the UNO, but in any case, be aware that you may need to search for older drivers to work on this older stuff(maybe you installed drivers that are not compatible with your hardware and/or OS)
I hear you, I really do. To that point I've ordered the longer cables to make this work for me. $36 just so I can move this thing 10 feet from where it was. $25 on the UNO that should (and does) work just not with PT or PT w/MCU.

Reasons to make the UNO work include:

Using what I have that works well for me
Not spending money on a newer USB based controller
Not requiring a physical MIDI connection
Using more devices than you have physical connections for
Ability to run the MCU at a distance farther away than my MIDI cables allow
Plug and play compatibility ease of connecting via USB vs MIDI (front ports)
Overall problem solver of physical convenience

I'm not a fan of solving problems by spending money. Especially if I've already spent money on things that claim to provide a set of features I want/need.

I'm really bummed that there seems to be no explanation or solution to this or any better recommendations that address the issue directly. At this point I just want to know what it is for my sanity. Sure, I can get along with cables but what if that wasn't a solution? Then I'd just be SOL.
Old 09-16-2023, 04:30 PM

FINAL UPDATE:

So the 25' MIDI cables came today and wouldn't you know they work like magic!

However, before I connected them I decided to connect the MCU with the UNO to Cubase 6.5.5. So I reset the MCU to MCU mode and power cycled. I didn't even set up the MCU in AMS and it just worked like a charm!

It isn't the UNO or the MCU...

So this definitively proves that Pro Tools is the culprit here. There is some conflict with the PTLE8/MCU/UNO combo under Snow Leopard. It'll never get fixed, obviously, but hopefully someone else will benefit from my headache.
Old 09-17-2023, 02:24 PM

Glad you have things working. FWIW, I was running midi thru the audio snake from my drum room and the total length was easily 70' and had no problems at all.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave