Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2017, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Gui lag 12.8.2

I have GUI lag on my system like many others on this thread.

macos 10.12.6, mac pro 6,1 (trash can) w 64gb ram and 12 core processor, pro tools hd native (thunderbolt) 12.8.2 R2.

i'm using a 4k led tv as my main monitor and i have a dell 27" as a secondary monitor. lag tends to be way worse on the main display. as an experiment, i just turned my resolution down to 1080p. the picture looks awful, but the lag is nearly gone. thought i'd share as it may be worth it for others to experiment with resolution settings.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I'm not sure if people remember the discussions happening when the subscription plan was first rumored but this is essentially what was predicted. It's not unlike Pharma: there's no money in the cure. Go soft on repairing bugs and customers will *need* the subscription plan.

Think about the reasons we spend ~$400/year on the plan. New features, yes, although those have been INCREDIBLY slow to materialize. It's to stay current. To receive the bug fixes. To allow new OS updates and ensure PT compatibility.

Anyone who's been following this topic will notice how frequently the app takes a step backwards since the Plan began. No, I doubt bugs are *introduced* intentionally, but it's equally incompetent and devious, yes, to intentionally ignore those repairs. If anyone thinks this process isn't discussed in closed board meetings or, more likely, while playing 18 holes you're just being naive or overly loyal.
Ever heard of Hanlon‘s Razor?

It says:“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Old 11-12-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I'm not sure if people remember the discussions happening when the subscription plan was first rumored but this is essentially what was predicted. It's not unlike Pharma: there's no money in the cure. Go soft on repairing bugs and customers will *need* the subscription plan.

Think about the reasons we spend ~$400/year on the plan. New features, yes, although those have been INCREDIBLY slow to materialize. It's to stay current. To receive the bug fixes. To allow new OS updates and ensure PT compatibility.

Anyone who's been following this topic will notice how frequently the app takes a step backwards since the Plan began. No, I doubt bugs are *introduced* intentionally, but it's equally incompetent and devious, yes, to intentionally ignore those repairs. If anyone thinks this process isn't discussed in closed board meetings or, more likely, while playing 18 holes you're just being naive or overly loyal.
+1000 on this. Best post ever! Also a 20+ user and not happy at all.

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 11-12-2017, 06:33 AM

Same sort of problems here, not all the time, but when it's bad it's nearly unusable.

Also a lot of times the smart tool isn't changing icons based on mouse position over clips. The functions still change, but the on screen icon doesn't.

Hopefully the roll out a fix for this one asap.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Same sort of problems here, not all the time, but when it's bad it's nearly unusable.

Also a lot of times the smart tool isn't changing icons based on mouse position over clips. The functions still change, but the on screen icon doesn't.

Hopefully the roll out a fix for this one asap.
Yes, hopefully, but then something else would definitely be broken...
Old 11-12-2017, 01:23 PM

AVID Support told me, that this bug is logged and that they are working on it. They said, that it should be solved in one oft the next releases (not very promising). It was introduced by the changes in OSX graphics (Metal) with El Capitan and couldn't be solved till today.
It doesn't create confidence in AVIDs software development, that things like that need such a long time.

Cheers
Maik
Old 11-12-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsian View Post
AVID Support told me, that this bug is logged and that they are working on it. They said, that it should be solved in one oft the next releases (not very promising). It was introduced by the changes in OSX graphics (Metal) with El Capitan and couldn't be solved till today.
It doesn't create confidence in AVIDs software development, that things like that need such a long time.

Cheers
Maik
Good to hear they are aware and "working on it", but the explanation from the support guy sounds like total BS, because PT 12.8.1 GUI works perfectly fine on macOS Sierra and on unsupported mac OS High Sierra. And even worse: if it was true, and they are "trying" to fix it since the release of El Capitan, they are completely off track with the solution.

Sound Engineer | Non-Avid Employee

Last edited by Cacov; 11-12-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsian View Post
El Capitan came 2 years ago, and after 2 years they still haven't found a way to fix this bug? tssssss.... Oh and of course PT doesn't use Metal so there you go. So the fact that 12.7.x or 12.8.1 have no lag is what, just "luck"? If that's all "support" can come up with to justify 12.8.2's poor UI performance well that's just sad.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:28 PM

Agreeing 100% with Eric Lambert... I have the same problem, it slows me down and frustrates me... why do we have to deal with this kind of incompetence?
Old 11-13-2017, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anibal View Post
Agreeing 100% with Eric Lambert... I have the same problem, it slows me down and frustrates me... why do we have to deal with this kind of incompetence?
……and have to pay annual subscription on top of it???