Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-13-2019, 03:20 PM

Default Lost files in ProTools 9 over the years

Hi there guys/girls,

Quick story here, and sorry in advance if this is not the correct way to ask these things on this forum. Correct me please. It's been years sinds I've been here.

I'm in a band with my father and 2 brothers (father is 61 now, I'm 31 atm)
Years ago, as a student, I purchased Protools 9 with all of my savings while all of my other friends were getting a playstation or something like that. My close family and I wrote a full album together on my 'Protools Mac', took this to the studio and recorded a full album with our own original music and it has been put on the market with local succes. So far so good...

Later on, while playing music on a party, someone poured a beer on my mac, and I also lost my iLok in the game. So lost everything from that period... I had to save money and buy a new mac and couldn't open these precious files from that period of my life nevermore because Protools wasn't compatible anymore (that stupid Mac/Protools update). I switched to LogicPro (sorry guys, it came with my mac) and started writing new stuff...
Today I saw there is a free version of protools?
Is there a way to get to these files on my backup disc and just have a go with them after exporting them to another format file so I can read them everywhere besides Protools?
Or am I in the wrong place?
Enlight me please if you want.

Thanks in advance for your kind reply,

M.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Lost files in ProTools 9 over the years

Why not download the trial "demo" full version of Pro Tools, and see if that helps you.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-13-2019, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Lost files in ProTools 9 over the years

Hi.

So, these are recordings that were lost in the beer incident, but you have a bacup?
These are PT9 sessions that you can't access because you dont have any version of PT now?
And I understand that you don't want to buy PT.

I don't know much about PT First except what I read here on the DUC. But as I understand it, it's a very limited version, you are limited to 3 sessions at a time, it's cloud-based to some degree, it can only use plugins that it comes with, and many report problems (which isn't a surprise, as most come here for help with problems).

If you had access to a working PT rig of some kind for a period, this is what I suggest: open a session, select the audio on a track from 0.00.00 to the end, and choose "Consolidate" in the edit menu. This will create a single audio file in the audio files folder of that session, that you can import into almost any DAW. Repeat with all tracks, and since they all start at 0.00.00, they will line up perfectly in any program. (Of course, you open the Aduio files folder in the finder and "sort by date" and they're easily located.)
(Might sound like a lot of work, but you might actually select all tracks, and process them all in one step. You'll get a lot of silence in those files, of course.)

Now, if your PT9 sessions are set up as using SDII files, you will have to convert them to wav. SDII is as good as useless in modern systems. There are several ways to approach this, but probably the simplest way is to go to the regions bin, sort by date, select the consolidated files and export them as WAVs. (This is if you opened them on PT10 or older. If you open the sessions on PT2019, they will automatically be converted, as far as I know.)

I agree with Tom, I'd go for a 30 day trial of PT2019, provided, of course, that your mac is supported and up to it with OS version, memory, processor speed, etc. And you'll need an iLok, of course. And with everything set up, you'll be able to just "rent" a PT license for a month at a time, at any time.