Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 10:52 PM

Default RTAS RMX and other softsynths crashes

I'm using ProTools 6.7cs8 with HD 3 Acc with G5 dual 2.5 with 2G ram running 10.3.7 with all the newest upgrade of Stylus RMX , Sample Tank and it crashes quite frequently.I have to re import the session to a new session to continue working.I'm a bit scared to upgrading to the newest version since with out using the above mention plugs is very stable.Do anybody have an idea how to fix this?
Old 07-14-2005, 11:47 PM

Default Re: RTAS RMX and other softsynths crashes

I have found sampletank 2 to be very buggy. i would suggest another sample player. Kontact works great.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:23 AM

Move to 10.3.8. change all of your drives to journeled, buy more ram, make sure you buy apple approved ram only!!! A must. All of these problems easily fixed with good ram and all the basic OS fixes. read the digi user guide on trouble shooting pro-Tools and RTAS systems. thats it.

[email protected]
Intel duel Quad core
PT 8.0cs3
HD4
D Command / D control
Old 07-15-2005, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Move to 10.3.8. change all of your drives to journeled, buy more ram, make sure you buy apple approved ram only!!! A must. All of these problems easily fixed with good ram and all the basic OS fixes. read the digi user guide on trouble shooting pro-Tools and RTAS systems. thats it.
Yeah right!!

If only it was that easy to fix rtas instruments from quitting pt!

Ive done all that and more and nothing can stop rtas instruments from being buggy in PT! My system will run flawless for months, untill i insert an RTAS instrument, and thats it, game over!! 1-3 quits a day, and midi note hangin when pt is stopped.

mac g5 2g dual 3gig ram 10.3.8

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:28 AM

I don't think changing to 10.3.8 will make any difference... the .8 is an incremental update that allows you journal your audio drives (which is desirable but not necessary) and I don't think that has anything to do with VI crashes... more RAM would probably help, however (make sure you get name brand warrantied RAM)
Are disk permissions repaired? What drive are you running the VI samples from... ? Perhaps a dedicated drive for all VI sample libraries? How many instances are you running? (keep as low as possible) Is there another program running in the background? Is the playback engine processor setting set as high as possible?
I'm pretty stable with dual 2.0 G5, 10.3.7, 6.7cs8 and 2.5 GB RAM.... running samples from internal drive... but my fingers are crossed for my next heavy duty project...
Old 07-15-2005, 10:22 AM

I posted the same problems a week ago under the title "Whats wrong with RTAS?" - and got the same replies.
But talking around London everybody has the same problems - instanciate an RTAS softsample player and you are liable to go down on usually very reliable systems. I often have to import all tracks into a new session to get started again.
I go back to my original premise that something is fundamentally wrong either with the RTAS concept (Digi's creation) or with G5's and the way they handle memory. There may be another issue:Most RTAS softsamplers were created on G4's and OS9 . I purchased most of mine in the last 6 months and though the boxes came marked OSX the software inside was OS9 - I always had to download the OSX version. Has something been lost in translation?
Old 07-15-2005, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the reply , I use premium RAM, all my sampler stuff goes to a dedicated 120gig internal hardrive , I have 4 SCSI ,3 firewire and 2 internal 120 gig hardrive. I use another computer (G4 dual 1.25 with 1.5 gig RAM) and Logic 6.4.3 loaded with the same stuff,but for some reason synchronizing them together does not work as good as my old Mix 3 with the USD(I have sync and Unitor 8 ).I would like Logic to recognize tempo and meter changes. When I use MTC , Logic ' s tempo goes all over the place and SMPTE does not recognize tempo and meter changes.I was trying to use Logic as a Multi instrument(use it like my Gigasampler), but I can only use one audio instrument at a time. Using Logic instead of ProTools software is worthless to me at this moment. I prefer Logic 's MIDI better than ProTools(I hate Logic ' s audio) ,but I rather use one sequencer to make life easier, and I need stability . I do not care what I use as long as the job gets done.If anybody has any ideas , I would truly appreciated
Old 07-15-2005, 01:17 PM

rtas and htdm virtual instruments are simply not stable in the pro tools environment. sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. digi needs to look into this problem and fix it. soon hopefully!
Old 07-16-2005, 12:11 PM

I have this problem too, and the problem is with RTAS. I've tried adjusting the buffers, procesor usage, all kinds of stuff and still get the same results. I've gotten replies from Native Instruments about it, stating that a fix was in the works with Digi, but since that was 3 months ago I'm not holding my breath. I have 5gb ram on a G5 2.0ghz DP machine, processor usage set at 99% (which dedicates an entire processor to Pro Tools). I have my streaming samples on a 10k internal SATA drive, and everything checks out in hardware tests. I get the feeling that RTAS was never designed for this kind of heavy use, and hopefully someone will adapt RTAS to the current heavy-use climate of virtual instruments before the end of my professional life.

BTW, the biggest RTAS hog I've run across is Battery-2, followed by Stylus RMX (I can't run them simultaneously without turning my G5 to molasses and crashing after just a few minutes). I end up printing all my Battery 2 and RMX tracks to disk before mixing just so I don't have to be burdened with crashes and 5 minute restarts/reboots.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:29 PM

I've noticed that all the instruments pluging in Rtas seems to be more DSP and memory hungry than in other enviroment. Reaktor 5 is completely unusable with PT but with ableton Live it works fine. Same with Arturia instr.

I know they are heavvy instr... but PT seems to suffer more with them.

Any tested set up to have any chance to use them.

MAC G5 2ghz (first series) 2DSP, 2GByte Ram 2 SATA HD internal