Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 04:11 AM

Default Need a laptop that will run PTMP

I'm looking to buy a laptop, and i want to make sure every step of the way that every piece of hardware is compatable with PTMP and my Firewire 410.

Here is the one i am looking at:

Inspiron XPS Gen 2 Intel® Pentium® M Processor 760 (2 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
LCD Panel 17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™
Memory 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm
Video Card 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 6800 Ultra
Hard Drive 60GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
Network Card Integrated 1 Gigabit Network Card and Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
CD ROM/DVD ROM 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer write capability
Wireless Personal Networking Card Intel® PRO 2200 and Dell 350 Bluetooth Internal Wireless Card

Is there anything among this information that is a known issue? What do i need more information on? Does anyone have any other computer recomendations (i'm thinking of dell because of their accidental care plan, 4 yrs no questions asked replacement or repair)?

What is the deal with Front Side Bus speeds? Do i need an external 7200rpm drive in addition to the onboard one and if so, is it overkill to pay extra for the 7200 internal?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 08-02-2005, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Need a laptop that will run PTMP

Hi,
The Inspiron XPS uses the same chipset as another Dell laptop that we have qualified with PTMP, so it looks to be a good choice. That said, we haven't fully qualified it, so we can't be positive that you will be happy with it.

FWIW, the Dell Precision M20 has been fully qualified with PTMP and is on our official Compatibility page.

Digi ETS