How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2013, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Mac Mini

The Mini works
One place it can have a problems is if you want to run multipliable screens, more of a Post thing.

Yes, you can buy it with the minimum RAM then add more yourself. Most people do it this way do to Apples over charging for RAM.
Just buy good RAM and not the cheap stuff.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-05-2013, 03:03 PM

Yup - my advice usually is to get the best CPU you can, and the lowest amount of RAM. IT won't void your warranty, but - if you are really scared if you have to take it in to Apple (and I HIGHLY recommend AppleCare) - just pop the stock RAM back in. macsales.com and newegg.com are always battling it out for cheapest RAM on any given day, so check them out. I've had good results with both.

Good Luck!

Nathan
PT 2019 and 10.14
UA Apollo Quad
Outboard:
2 x Summit Audio 2BA-221>TLA 50>EQF-100
2 x dbx 165a
x Shadow Hills GAMA
http://humpbackmedia.net[/SIZE]
Old 09-05-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccy View Post
One more question.. would [purchasing the 4GB version and] upgrading to 16GB by myself void my warranty in any way? Does anybody know where can I buy something safe, RAM-wise? I know I sound like a complete noob but I'm afraid of what I don't know much about.
No, as far as you don't break anything when changing RAM sticks, warranty is still running. It is really easy to do it and RAM is really accessible (Apple also gives instructions how to change RAM modules).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccy View Post
I should also mention that I'm definitely buying the computer itself from apple store online, as my University provides a rather sweet discount.
Try to take a look at the refurb store (inside Apple store online too), I bought mine like this (adn also my previous MacBook Pro) and get around EUR130 off the actual price (around $150). It paid me the additional 16GB of RAM.
Just be careful to pickup the last models (2012 models, Corei7 quadcore) because previous models held core i7 dualcore (2011 models).

But I don't know if refurb prices are better offers than Student discounts, and if Student discount can occurs with the refurb store.
PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MBP)
PT 10.3.10 / PT11.3.2 / PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.8.5 (MM "Production" on SSD)
PT 12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MM "test" on HDD)
RME UFX (USB2 with MM and Firewire with MBP)
+ Vienna Ensemble Pro Server on PC Q6600/8Gb/Win7-Pro64-SP1
Old 10-12-2013, 03:06 PM

Refurbed is cheaper than Student.
I got a mini Quad2.66 i7 with 8GB Ram and a 1TB Fusion drive for under $1000.
Record to external FW800.
I haven't noticed a track limit yet. It runs the PT11 demo session pretty easily. Not the greatest stress test but something that's easy to compare across systems.

Just played back a recent trailer with 40 or so audio tracks and picture without any problem.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Focusrite

Personal option here:

I always buy the lowest amount of RAM when buying an Apple computer. I once bought one with no RAM at all from an Authorized Seller.

On my Mac Laptop i7 quad core I found that while Apple states the max for that motherboard was 8 gigs the actual supported maximum for that mobo was 16. Popped 16gigs in for $80. Works perfect.

Look up the exact specs for the mobo and see what is supported and buy RAM elsewhere. That way you can use your computer a while until you actual run into lack of RAM errors on that computer for what you are doing.

You may find for what you are doing the RAM it comes with is enough. I have a MacMini i5 here at the office with 4gigs RAM and never have issues. Granted we don't do much actual recording, but you can record your audio tracks, make some Soft Synths, etc, just fine.

While we always recommend the best computer you can afford for music production I think the Mac Minis are a great way to get a super fine processor without paying a lot for extras like the iMac Screen, etc you don't need.

I bought one for my Aunt, who is a long time Film Editor, to run Avid and Final Cut Pro.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you with regard to any Focusrite product as well. Always happy to help.

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/
Old 10-19-2013, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demodigi View Post
Hi cccy,

Quad Core @2,3GHz is already very powerful so I don't think 2,6GHz option is really useful in your case.

snippage

Of course, a 2nd HDD is highly recommended (especially for critical recording, like live stiff) but if you want to begin with the internal drive it is possible with "real world" student projects. If you want to use external drives, you'll have to use Firewire (400 or 800) or USB3 (not USB2).

Very important : you will have to create a 2nd partition on the internal drive, dedicated to audio projects (never record audio on the system partition with pro tools or any DAW).

If you want to use sample library, a dedicated drive/partition for those is also highly recommanded.
First off I'd go for the fastest cpu I could afford.

Second a second hard drive is not just recommended but mandatory. You never want to record to the system drive even if you create a second partition. The hangup is you still only have one read/write head assembly and you're asking the system to read/write from multiple areas at the same time with just that one read/write head. Same goes for the fusion drive; even though you have theoretically two drives the os and programs only see one read/write head.

Third - definite yes on a third drive for samples.

QAPLA!
Old 10-19-2013, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine_Focusrite View Post
Personal option here:

I always buy the lowest amount of RAM when buying an Apple computer. I once bought one with no RAM at all from an Authorized Seller.

On my Mac Laptop i7 quad core I found that while Apple states the max for that motherboard was 8 gigs the actual supported maximum for that mobo was 16. Popped 16gigs in for $80. Works perfect.

Look up the exact specs for the mobo and see what is supported and buy RAM elsewhere. That way you can use your computer a while until you actual run into lack of RAM errors on that computer for what you are doing.

You may find for what you are doing the RAM it comes with is enough. I have a MacMini i5 here at the office with 4gigs RAM and never have issues. Granted we don't do much actual recording, but you can record your audio tracks, make some Soft Synths, etc, just fine.

While we always recommend the best computer you can afford for music production I think the Mac Minis are a great way to get a super fine processor without paying a lot for extras like the iMac Screen, etc you don't need.

I bought one for my Aunt, who is a long time Film Editor, to run Avid and Final Cut Pro.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you with regard to any Focusrite product as well. Always happy to help.
A good source that doesn't require looking up what the mobo in an Apple computer can hold is MacTracker. It's a free program that gives you just about everything you'd want to know about every Mac that ever existed.

I like the Mini. I use one for my Photoshop and web work. I elevate it off the tabletop to get air to flow all around it as during heavy use they do get a bit warm. Don't obstruct the breather port at the back of the chassis - that's the air exhaust; fresh air is drawn into the Mini through a slit in the plastic bottom cover.

QAPLA!
Old 10-19-2013, 06:07 AM

Not to knock the mini, but also watch the used market for a 4.1 (2009) or newer Mac Pro. I found a 2.66 quad for $500. The ram is expensive. But upgraded to 24 GB (3x8 GB as these prefer 3 channel ram) for $200, and just added a 6-core CPU for $250. So for less than $1000 I have a beast of a Mac Pro that can hold 4 drives.

It's size is the biggest knock compared to a mini. And I also found out afterwards that I might could have saved some money. I've read you can use the regular i7 6-core cpu's (i7-970,980,990) and non-ecc ram if install both at the same time. The processors are about the same price but non-ecc ram is a lot cheaper.

Just food for thought. And if anyone has any questions about the specifics of what I did just ask.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:07 AM

There is some really good advice regarding drives for use with PT at the link right at the top of this page, titled, Software Updates, Drivers, Manuals, Compatibility, Troubleshooting, etc. (Links). Then click on General Troubleshooting (Mac). Note that Avid still advise against USB drives on this page.

I would recommend a firewire external drive as I had crash issues with a USB drive. Switching the drive resolved the crashes on my MacMini.

There are also some other links there with good advice on what kind of computer is best for PT. If you follow Avid's advice you won't go wrong. At a recent trade show, Avid were demoing PT11 on a MacMini.