Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 07-21-2009, 06:25 AM

Default Crowd Singing effect

Is there anyone who could tell me if achieving a - crowd singing effect - is possible without recording an actual group of people?

I have used Antares Choir plug-in. I tried it and it just seemed sort of fake. I only recorded one voice and then told it 32 voices..Seems like their is maybe something better.

Anyone have any thoughts? or how to.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:02 AM

Default Re: Crowd Singing effect

I've tried it using Waves Doubler and their ultra pitch without much luck. I put the 4 band members in my big room with a U87 on Omni across the room and had them do the parts(screams) many times, then I used most of them and panned them differently across the stereo field appropriately so they fit in with the instruments....awesome.....sometimes there's nothing quite like the real thing.
Sorry I didn't have the answer you were looking for, but hope this helps.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultzee13 View Post
Is there anyone who could tell me if achieving a - crowd singing effect - is possible without recording an actual group of people?

I have used Antares Choir plug-in. I tried it and it just seemed sort of fake. I only recorded one voice and then told it 32 voices..Seems like their is maybe something better.

Anyone have any thoughts? or how to.
In one project to create a choir effect I recorded myself and a couple others several times singing the different parts several times. Then with some panning and a bit of reverb, it came out sounding like a nice little choir. I expect you could try something similar for a crowd effect. But you'll need 4 or 5 unique original voices, I think, to make it work. You could play with applying different EQ's to some to give slightly different tonal effects. You could also copy an audio track to a second track and try making small adjustments in pitch from one to other coupled with slightly different fx to vary timbre.

Good luck.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:58 AM

Visualise in your minds eye, a small choir standing in a semi circle around an omni mic.

Map out those physical positions of the choir members in relation to the mic on a piece of paper.

Let's say for example that you end up with a front row with 3 positions : centre, centre left and centre right, and a back row standing on a raised platform (phone books ) with 4 positions : hard left, mid left, mid right and hard right.

Create the seven required tracks and name and pan them accordingly.

Now set up your mono mic and perform the seven passes (for this example) taking care to move yourselves and not the mic around the room in relation to the positions you have mapped out, recording on to the appropriate track.

This will give you a realistic sense of space, depth and colouration.

Hope that inspires you to experiment.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:33 AM

If you are talking about a "crowd" instead of a "choir" then keep in mind that there are always a few people that can't hit the notes or the rhythm and these out of tune/time singers can be heard a bit here and there.. Try detuning a couple takes and mix them in to taste.. Should help add to the casual, non-professional ambiance, at least if that is the effect you are going for.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
In one project to create a choir effect I recorded myself and a couple others several times singing the different parts several times. Then with some panning and a bit of reverb, it came out sounding like a nice little choir. I expect you could try something similar for a crowd effect. But you'll need 4 or 5 unique original voices, I think, to make it work. You could play with applying different EQ's to some to give slightly different tonal effects. You could also copy an audio track to a second track and try making small adjustments in pitch from one to other coupled with slightly different fx to vary timbre.

Good luck.
+1

Add some 'shout' takes if you're after the 'crowd' as opposed to the choir, plus a few exaggerated pronunciations.

Scott
Old 07-22-2009, 06:14 AM

"Whisper" tracks, mixed well, can also work nicely in this situation. Create a track where you whisper the same thing that is being sung, and mix it in to taste.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 07-22-2009, 07:39 AM

You can also take a track of crowd and duplicate it. Then on the duplicate track, enable Elastic Audio and stretch it a small amount. This will make it so it does not sound like a fake doubling.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-06-2009, 08:36 AM

Hi! Take a loot at my page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sergio...nn/55050982059 and listen to the second track, "Diablos Rojos Porra Batucada". If that's the effect you're looking for, a sort of stadium-crowd chant effect, then record yourself singing different harmonies to the same melody and then move each track a LITTLE BIT (to taste) forwards or backwards. Remember, in a stadium people don't start singing at exactly the same time!

Hope that helps!

http://www.facebook.com/sergeamh
Old 09-08-2009, 09:15 AM

Shifting the formant of some overdubs, some up, some down a little (no more than 3 semitones) may help, if it's mostly one person overdubbing himself. Then again, I think those monster group vocs on old Def Leppard records are all one guy, and they didn't have formant shift back then! That was done locking two 24 track analog machines together, bouncing huge numbers of vocs down to stereo, and adding more. Insane.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB