Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 07-08-2016, 06:53 AM

Default No IO Overwrite option anymore. A nightmare!

Avid,

This is just a post to let you know that the choice of removing the "Sessions overwrite current I/O Setup when opened" option is a nightmare for us.

Let me explain, i work for movie post in a studio where we have several ProTools connected to a mixing desk which is the heart of our patch setups. Then we change ProTools I/Os for every movie regarding the track content that changes a lot between the different projects. But with today workflow we often have to switch between projects/movies, during the same sessions.

So not having an option for automatic restore of the session is already very annoying, but it's also very dangerous as we can have changes in setup without knowing it.

For example :
When ProTools opens and detects an I/O mismatch it shows a message inviting to change the I/O. Annoying to not have the ability to say "always do it"! And even more annoying when we used this options for years!
But if ProTools doesn't detect the I/O we can have problems without knowing it first. And i experienced it. I had to switch between two record sessions. Both had 5 5.1 stems input for stems recording, then the stems are summed in a master audio track, which is the track listened in output.
But the order/name of the stems where not the same in the 2 sessions. So when i switched from one project to another i got no message inviting to check the I/O (basically same I/O in term of tracks) but the stem routing was not good anymore! (stems were inverted). And i couldn't even hear it as the master summing was still the sum of the 5 stems.

So please Avid, stop imposing your vision of work, accept that people may work in a different way that what you can just imagine, and stop removing useful options that have been there for years!
Old 07-08-2016, 07:41 AM

Default Re: No IO Overwrite option anymore. A nightmare!

+1🏼
Old 07-08-2016, 10:01 AM

The Pro Tools I/O warnings and management has always been annoying and now it's just terrible. I've moved over to REAPER for many tasks and I'll say that it's so refreshing to open a session and just get to work without it bothering me with I/O nonsense.

I feel your pain.

There seems to be lots of regressions lately. Another related thing is that when I double click an OMF to open it for the first time, the create new session dialogue no longer has an I/O settings option like it used to.

What are they smoking over there these days? I'm a long time PT user and will have to keep a version maintained but I find myself using it less and less as of this year.

http://www.mysteryroommastering.com/
http://www.justincarlperkins.com/
Old 07-08-2016, 10:15 AM

I would love to see this returned. I hate having to examine everything before the first save, or risk corrupting the session I/O.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 07-08-2016, 01:47 PM

Here is another DUC thread on this topic:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=380398

And an Ideascale post here:

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...79?submitted=1

Please vote!
Old 07-08-2016, 02:12 PM

+1
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:19 PM

Agreed with the OP and the others, atm there's not a single session I open that goes straight into the workspace without showing at least one annoying message. Voted (can't believe there are only 14 votes)
Old 07-08-2016, 03:13 PM

Unfortunately many have given up on the Idea Scale. I wish they would vote even if they think nobody's watching. It helps support the position.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 07-08-2016, 03:26 PM

if you can stop the garbage email i get because i have to sign up for all this crap then i would be happy to Vote .. !!!

i would vote for please stop changing the things that work without asking us to VOTE FIRST .... everything is backwards here in AvidLand ....

nobody likes damage control ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Unfortunately many have given up on the Idea Scale. I wish they would vote even if they think nobody's watching. It helps support the position.

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 07-08-2016, 08:36 PM

Wow, I/O management is bad in 10, can't believe it got worse???