Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2016, 11:24 AM

Default Thunderbolt Connector Apollo 8p Problem

I'm using PT 12.6.1 with a new UAD Apollo 8p Thunderbolt on a 2016 Macbook Pro / El Capitan.

Purchased a new Belkin 2 meter Thunderbolt cable.

Two or three times now if I move the MBP even just a few inches the connection to the Apollo drops...requiring a PT restart. At first I thought it was a fluke especially since the Thunderbolt plug into the MBP seems very solid and unlikely to move enough to cause this. Now though it's clear that that's the issue. I'll be getting a replacement cable today but I'm wondering if anyone else has had reliability issues with the Thunderbolt MBP plug/port? It would be very disappointing if it's due to the connector design.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Thunderbolt Connector Apollo 8p Problem

Yes..same prob. Slightest move would kill connection. It's my 3rd motherboard of mbp15" prev model.... in my case it wasnt the cable....
Second motherboard had same prob.

But now all good. Used TB for a long time and never had this. It is not the plug itself, it is bad quality control.
Good luck with Apple, they seem to follow in Avid's footsteps: maximising profit with less reliable products as result...

I also had my screen replaced because of coating issues. So it went to the doctor 3 times within a year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 12-12-2016, 04:07 PM

Dang that sucks. I guess PT deserves some of the blame for not being able to recover from a dropped connection. I'm gonna do some more testing before I make a trip to the Apple Store but it will be a drag if I have to shut down PT everytime I want to move the laptop.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:33 AM

Wouldn't blame PT, plenty of daws that would get confused if the hardware is missing. My previous Mac didn't have this problem, I tried two different Apple TB cables, didn't help, and when I took it to Apple they confirmed that this is not normal. Cable should sit tight and not loose connection.
(I also had it while using the ethernet adapter and a TB docking station) Harddrives and networks don't like it either to be disconnected all of a sudden, so there is only one to blame: Apple. (assuming your cable is ok)

But they'll fix it, they didn't give me a problem at all. Only thing is that if you just spent 2500 euro on a macbook 'pro', going back 3 times with problems doesn't feel very pro.
But it is working fine now... ;-)