Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 03-28-2007, 02:45 PM

Default How to use a PTLE enabled license for PTMP

I'm curious, as a TDM owner, I also own PTLE (just upgraded to 7.3) for my laptop and doing remote site work. I just bought an M-Audio Black Box that I'd like to use instead of my 002r or MBox...much preferred as it would be just for composing, not tracking.

If I install PTMP, will my PTLE Ilok license be valid with the MPowered hardware hooked up? or am I stuck with using my MBox or 002r?

Inquiring minds want to know ;-). This would make things very, very fun on the road as opposed to what I'm doing today.

thanks in advance,

Bodie

Hear BodieMax on HFM 102.3FM Harborough, UK on 4/7/07 and 4/21/07 during the 10pm(UK time) Terry Hawke show http://www.harboroughfm.co.uk

For those that can't/won't wait...you can visit either of my two sites ;-)

http://www.myspace.com/BodieMax

http://www.rlowery.org
iMac 3.06ghz, 16Gb, 2Tb, OSX 10.6.2
Minimoog Voyager, Liberation, Taurus, Phatty
Korgs, Nords and more
Arp 2600s & Ody
Old 03-28-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Re: How to use a PTLE enabled license for PTMP

I'm a little bit confused about what you are asking; do you already have a license for the toolkit that you use with LE? Is that what you are saying? I wasn't aware that LE used the ilok for authorization (at least none of my LE systems do).

If so, then yes, the same license would work for the toolkit installed on an MPowered system. However, the toolkit license will not activate PT MPowered; you need a separate license for the software.

You would need to use MPowered for the M-Audio hardware, and LE for the LE hardware. They can both be installed on the same machine, but LE will only work with the Digidesign hardware, and MPowered will only work with the LE hardware.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-29-2007, 04:02 AM

Ok, the question was so apparent to me ;-)....I'll restate it, although I did some piddling around and find that it doesnt appear to work.

I have a valid PTLE 7.3 installation. I installed side by side a PTMP installation. Since the only apparent difference is the hardware (MBOX vs. BlackBox) I figured, it should work, no? Apparently not.

I don't understand this as a loyal PT owner (I spent thousands on hardware and legal plug-ins for my PT TDM system as well as my Digi002r), why shouldn't this work?

Digi? cmon, those of us loyal and having utilized the proper upgrade paths should be rewarded with the extra functionality. I'd love to see someone from Digi respond on this.

Bodie

http://www.rlowery.org

http://www.myspace.com/BodieMax

Hear BodieMax in the UK on DJ Hawke’s show starting 4/7 (2 Saturdays from now). His show plays at 10pm local time and on the internet as well. You can stream him from HFM radio 102.3 out of Harborough, UK. at http://www.harboroughfm.co.uk
Korgs, Nords and more
Arp 2600s & Ody
Old 03-29-2007, 04:53 AM

Quote:
I have a valid PTLE 7.3 installation. I installed side by side a PTMP installation. Since the only apparent difference is the hardware (MBOX vs. BlackBox) I figured, it should work, no?
I'm still confused; what should work? What is it that you are trying to do?

Are you trying to run LE using the BlackBox? That will definitely not work. But if you have PTMP installed as well, why not use PTMP?

When using the Mbox, you have to use PTLE.
When using the BlackBox you have to use PTMP.

I guess just don't see what you're complaining about. It's exactly the same as the difference between HD and LE;

When using HD cards you have to use PTHD.
When using the Mbox you have to use PTLE.

The only apparent difference is the hardware, right? LOL

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 03-29-2007, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I have a valid PTLE 7.3 installation. I installed side by side a PTMP installation. Since the only apparent difference is the hardware (MBOX vs. BlackBox) I figured, it should work, no?
I'm still confused; what should work? What is it that you are trying to do?

Are you trying to run LE using the BlackBox? That will definitely not work. But if you have PTMP installed as well, why not use PTMP?

When using the Mbox, you have to use PTLE.
When using the BlackBox you have to use PTMP. and an ilok with an authorization for PTMP on it

I guess just don't see what you're complaining about. It's exactly the same as the difference between HD and LE;

When using HD cards you have to use PTHD.
When using the Mbox you have to use PTLE.

The only apparent difference is the hardware, right? LOL
Actually only partially correct ;-) see my correction above in bold...as I did all the tests and lo and behold, it's what I thought.

I went to start PTMP with the Black box and it complained that an ilok with the authorization for PTMP was missing. So with PTMP, you need an Ilok authorization that PTLE does not require.

PTLE still only recognizes the one interface whether it's 002 or MBox of any flavor.

What we're asking Digi to do is to make it very seamless for those of us that are loyal and legal and that have many permutations of hardware in the studio and on the road(I know, not everyone has a significant budget, nor does everyone find themselves in different cities on a monthly basis...but being able to buy gadgets and toys for creative efforts...just call it a curse that we're willing to bear ;-)).

Overall, it's just not seamless, you need the extra authorization ;-). I drive several user forums for plug-in software and this whole 1) you need this for this or 2) no, you need this if you do this, 3) but if it's Sunday you do this...is a little silly, having one PTLE that will recognize all permutations of hardware (other than TDM which I understand is a very different code path) would be beneficial to all except M-Audio sales...the extra sales expense is the catch(to get the ilok authorization for PTMP).

Perhaps that a bit clearer?
If this is incorrect, we'd love to hear from Digi.
Bodie
Korgs, Nords and more
Arp 2600s & Ody
Old 03-29-2007, 08:09 AM

Yes, it definitely is clearer.
Quote:
So with PTMP, you need an Ilok authorization that PTLE does not require.
Correct.

However...

If you're using the other softwares (HD, LE) you are bound to have other licenses that require the ilok (plugins, the toolkit, etc), so what's the big deal? If you purchased PTMP, you get an ilok and the authorization.

So this is an "I don't want have to pay extra for the features that I want" gripe?

Old 03-29-2007, 09:01 AM

I'm sorry maybe you're still not clear...I've already emailed to Digi for a rational explanation ;-), I'll post for the benefit of those that are actually interested in what can be done.

Here's the scenario that was submitted to them:

When you use PTLE, you can use either a Digi002, digi002r or an Mbox of 3 different types, no special credentials.

Now there's a piece of hardware called "name that M-Audio box as there's more than half a dozen that work with PTMP" that is taking the place of the MBox. No new features, just a different piece of hardware and all my plugs are the same, etc...yet I'm seeing that there maybe another cost involved, to buy a license (I have many iloks...6 to be exact, so that's not an issue, not to mention several of the Syncrosoft dongles too...so it's not the dongle...it's the cost of buying the software that I already own...why do I pay twice?)

The reason this is silly is:

I bought an Mbox with PTLE 6.1 way back, I've paid for all upgrades as they came along and then I decided I'd buy an 002r...only cost was the hardware and I was functional as it uses the exact same PTLE bits.

Now we've just bought an M-Audio (owned by Avid/Digidesign) Black Box...Logic states that just another hardware swap (I own all the software PTHD, PTLE, PTMP legally) would allow me to run PTMP and have it work...which it does not. It is asking for a new license that has to be purchased, when the only difference in the bits is the support of the new (M-audio/Digi/Avid owned) hardware which they were handsomely paid for already.

If the logic escapes this particular discussion, no problem, as a licensing professional for a very prominent software company, I find this to be silly. I support getting paid for the license, however, I do not support getting paid twice, if you do, please send me the cash via paypal for the cost of your PTLE software and I'll make sure your conscience is eased ;-). LOL

Hopefully the silliness of the statement there drives the point ;-).

Bodie
Korgs, Nords and more
Arp 2600s & Ody
Old 03-29-2007, 09:57 AM

Just so we're clear;
PTMP = Pro Tools MPowered.
MPTK = Music Production ToolKit

You say you already have a license for Pro Tools MPowered on your ilok? If so, then PTMP (Pro Tools MPowered) should work with that license with the BlackBox.

However...

If you only have a license for 7.1, and you try to run 7.3, you will indeed get an error. 7.3 was a paid upgrade and requires (yes) an extra license (to prove that you paid for the upgrade).

Again, if you have a license for PTMP (MPowered) then it should work. If not, then there is something wrong with the way you have things installed, or you are trying to open the wrong version of the software with the wrong version of the license.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:10 AM

Ok, the definitive answer is NO. You can not run PTMP without buying an added license (i.e. minimum of $249 advertised price) for the PTMP software with the ilok authorization.

I would think that buying a PTMP enabled device would be sufficient entry fee to get you up and running (after all the bundle price of an MBox includes several freebies including plug-ins, Ableton, Reason (albeit lite versions) as well as PTLE). But to no avail.

Here's the answer from Digi tech support

Quote:
Hi,

The Black Box would require that you have a licensed copy of Pro
Tools M-Powered installed. You can have Pro Tools LE and Pro Tools
M-Powered co-installed as long as the version number are identical.
Pro Tools M-Powered requires ilok authorization and would require the
purchase of a separate license.

Best regards,
Digidesign Technical Support

So it seems to have the best of all worlds, owning 3 different versions of PT software is what's required to do so...no prob, just a bit inconvenient to plunk down another $249.

Bodie
Korgs, Nords and more
Arp 2600s & Ody
Old 03-31-2007, 08:25 AM

Ummm... That's what I've been saying all along.