Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2017, 11:22 AM

Default Pro Tools HD tutorials

I've just upgraded from PT standard to HD and I'm looking for some tutorials that pertain specifically to the features of HD. I've read as much as I can find but I keep finding new things and I'd like to find someplace I can use for learning these added features. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD tutorials

You will get better help if you explain what you are after? Surround? Advanced automation? Working with a specific HD Digilink interface or some other thing? For many users there is really no difference in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2017, 12:53 PM

Youtube is your friend

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-03-2017, 02:09 PM

Mainly I'm interested in the advanced features in the software. I just found out, while searching something else, that I can copy volume gain to clip gain. That's big for me. So things like that. I have recently switched over to PT as my main DAW and I've spent lots of time, Lynda.com, Youtube, ProTools Expert and Puremix, reading and watching. All good for general Pro Tools stuff, but not much that addresses features specific to HD. I'm constantly being impressed with with the little things that are HD only.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:48 PM

1. Open Pro Tools Reference Guide.
2. Enter "HD" in the search bar.
3. Read.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:50 PM

Default Pro Tools HD tutorials

But for much music/audio work Pro Tools HD does not offer more than Pro Tools standard. Clip Gain and other previously HD only features are now in the standard product. If you don't need surround, Digilink interface support (and its higher IO capability) or advanced automation then you might as well just save money and use the standard product. Which begs the question why did you buy HD? Folks here can might be able to help you with pointers if you say wanted to get started on something like surround. But otherwise there is just not much to point, at or differences to worry about learning. Just go use it.... or if you want more general stuff just look for any recent Pro Tools tutorials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2017, 03:24 PM

Over at Groove3 there's a great set of tutorials on Advanced Automation for Pro Tools HD by Michael Costa.

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 06-03-2017, 03:49 PM

[QUOTE=Darryl Ramm;2433568]But for much music/audio work Pro Tools HD does not offer more than Pro Tools standard.....

I must beg to differ. I've been using ProTools standard for about 10 months now for audio post for video and music production. While I was okay with the standard feature set I missed quite a few things, trim automation being one and clip effects another. I've been in discussion with a client about doing surround sound for his show next season, so when I got two ESPN series to mix and a theatrical documentary starting next week I bit the bullet and added HD as my main editing software. The old Pro Tools became my newly hired assistants station. I'm totally happy with the extra money spent. The two features I mentioned plus the ability to send volume automation to clip gain have speed up my workflow tremendously. I realize the feature set isn't that much different between the two versions, but the things I'm finding have made me want to explore the software more deeply.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazC View Post
Over at Groove3 there's a great set of tutorials on Advanced Automation for Pro Tools HD by Michael Costa.
Thanks, I'll check it out
Old 06-03-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
1. Open Pro Tools Reference Guide.
2. Enter "HD" in the search bar.
3. Read.
I know and I have. What I like about video tutorials, like Lynda.com is I can see clear examples of the topics I'm interested in.