Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 09-28-2018, 03:19 AM

Default Kontakt 6 is coming...

https://www.native-instruments.com/e...t-6/whats-new/

There is now a wavetable synth module and several new effects. The most interesting thing I see are the developer tools... there is finally a debugger and a utility for managing/copying settings.

Sounds like this will be a fully closed format... Meaning once an nki is saved from kontakt 6, you will not be able to use utilities like chicken systems translator to convert a K6 nki file to other formats (and like K5 files not opening in K4, you will not be able to open a K6 nki with older versions of kontakt). For those of us who have many older libraries and have changed sampler platforms a few times, this is the point of no return. I don't think kontakt is going away anytime soon, but most of us also thought the same of samplecell.

Before opening and resaving in K6, I would strongly suggest archiving all of your older libraries in K5 or K4 format in case you ever need to go back to them and convert to another format.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 09-28-2018, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Kontakt 6 is coming...

There's scant info on K6 but from what I can gather that wavetable module is kind of buried and not accessible to regular users like the wavetable module in Falcon. I'm not saying it can't be used, but not in a modular way. From reading over on the NI Kontakt forum there's no chance Kontakt will ever go the Falcon route.

Something I and others haven't been able to get is a solid read on what minimum OSX is needed for K6. The buy now upgrade page says El Crapitan but at least one beta tester has said he's testing on High Sierra. Unless NI has buried the true system requirements somewheres on their site.

QAPLA!
Old 09-28-2018, 10:59 AM

I am an artist with NI and was ordering a new controller a month ago. When I was on the phone with them, they told me that it will be Jan before we see the update, so no rush. I'm sure they will be updating more info soon.
G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 09-28-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
I am an artist with NI and was ordering a new controller a month ago. When I was on the phone with them, they told me that it will be Jan before we see the update, so no rush. I'm sure they will be updating more info soon.
G
What update? It's weird but K6 is already up to K6.02 as evidenced on the NI Kontakt forum and it hasn't even been officially released yet that I know of.

Are you saying K6 won't be out until next year?

QAPLA!
Old 09-29-2018, 06:27 AM

I'm in no hurry to upgrade, I haven't done anything with kontakt scripting for 2 years... But none the less interested to see the new version. It seems like they are trying to address some of the most tedious/frustrating things related to 3rd party kontakt library development in this release. Most end users won't necessarily notice the changes when they work with their own samples, but it may help bring some new kontakt libraries to the market, which is always a good thing.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 09-29-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
What update? It's weird but K6 is already up to K6.02 as evidenced on the NI Kontakt forum and it hasn't even been officially released yet that I know of.

Are you saying K6 won't be out until next year?
Gotcha.. I think he either misspoke. or was talking about something else. Not really sure.. I probably missed it.. I was in the middle of something.. Sorry about that-:)

I will wait at any rate. Happy with the way Kontakt 5 is operating at the moment.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 10-17-2018, 01:11 AM

Got the email today, 6 is in, 99.00 update/upgrade
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |
Old 11-12-2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
I'm in no hurry to upgrade, I haven't done anything with kontakt scripting for 2 years... But none the less interested to see the new version. It seems like they are trying to address some of the most tedious/frustrating things related to 3rd party kontakt library development in this release. Most end users won't necessarily notice the changes when they work with their own samples, but it may help bring some new kontakt libraries to the market, which is always a good thing.
I agree with your opinion. As for me, I've been used Kontakt libraries for a long time, especially I like strings like Session Strings Pro and cinematic strings. But it's been a long time since I used them. So, I also would like to try new version.