Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2020, 09:49 PM

Default Am I losing my mind? Auto tail commit?

Hi.. I could have sworn there was a certain commit option where I could specify the length of the tail, or auto, or off, and even the bit depth.
I can't seem to find it anymore.

Now, if I commit the track, it does the auto tail.

if I commit a clip, it does precisely the length of the clip.

I couldn't have been imagining it all these months (years), so can someone please remind me how to access those extended commit options?

Cheers
Old 02-03-2020, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Am I losing my mind? Auto tail commit?

No, I don't think it does. Do you also use Logic, as it definitely has it, so maybe that's where you've seen it?
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 02-04-2020, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
No, I don't think it does. Do you also use Logic, as it definitely has it, so maybe that's where you've seen it?
No, Logic does have a keep audio tail in file checkbox, but what I am talking about is specifying the actual time of the tail OR an auto option. I am so confused as I don't use any other DAWs and I could have sworn I did this many many times in the past...

Going to do a multi clip commit now in case that was it....

I am actually wondering if it was in PT 12 or 2018 and they slipped it in and then removed it....

I remember literally picking my time in seconds.. it could only be in seconds, not BPM like Cubase. And I haven't had Cubase installed for YONKS now.

So confused.

Last edited by TNM; 02-04-2020 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Added extra info
Old 02-04-2020, 12:18 AM

Another way to do it, is to pop the said region into a longer group clip...then cook, commit!!
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 02-04-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
Another way to do it, is to pop the said region into a longer group clip...then cook, commit!!
i don't know what that means..

but what I have discovered is this

I made a little video about it yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BAyKdSg3ZA

so if you commit a track it auto tails, if you drop and drag midi it records the tail but it's up to you to extend the clip, and if you commit a clip it does the length of the clip only. Bouncing does not show the options I remember.

I now believe it is a glitch in the matrix. I know I have been doing this for a year and now since I know I am not insane, maybe Elon Musk is right and we are all in a sim.

I'm kidding of course, but what i remember is the exact light coloured commit options box we see now in 2019.12, but with "render tail" and then "auto" or a specific time we could choose when doing so.

OTOH, I spent SO much time benchmarking DAWs (dsp performance tests) in the last couple years, that I at one time I had every mac DAW installed (if they had a demo).. so that actually must be it, and I am cross confusing the DAWs cause the mind can only retain so much info.

I found out this morning I not only have high cholesterol, but also almost very high BP (border between high and very high), and I'm only 47, so, I have to stop letting stupid things like this stress me out.
Unfortunately with my OCD and the fluvoxamine I am on for life, my mind is always active and never really rests.. Normally I'd spend as long as needed now to find out exactly which DAW did this and look through every version of PT, that would involve formatting partition on the mac and installing every version i have saved installers for from V12 to 2019.. but this is the exact sort of thing I need to just "let go" and say "who cares".

Thanks for replying. Have a lovely day.