Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2011, 08:50 AM

Default Would you invest in HD3 PCIe today?

Ok, I know it's a loaded question, but I'm facing a real dilema and need some advice from those more plugged into product cycles, new technology etc. than I am.

My current HD3 PCI rig is coming to the end of its life and needs replacing. I could keep my HD3 PCI cards and put them in a chassis, but this adds an extra buffer to latency, which renders it pretty much unusable for the way I work (mainly real-time mixing lots of incoming audio streams).

I could go PT Native, but I need to keep my six 192 interfaces involved, because I use a lot of external hardware. PT Native doesn't quite get me enough channels, and I can't see any easy compromises that would make it work for me.

Thunderbolt is suddenly plastered all over the forums, but nobody seems to know how it will manifest itself in terms of actual products. That said, if Avid released a new Thunderbolt product which enabled multiple interfaces to be daisy-chained the month after I dropped $20k on HD cards and a new rig, I'd be a little upset.

I don't really need a lot of TDM horsepower, but I do need those 6 interfaces, so it looks like I have no choice but to upgrade, I guess I'm just interested whether others in my position would see things the same way.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or advice.

Jules
Old 05-16-2011, 09:34 AM

Default Re: Would you invest in HD3 PCIe today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerman View Post
... I could keep my HD3 PCI cards and put them in a chassis, but this adds an extra buffer to latency, which renders it pretty much unusable for the way I work (mainly real-time mixing lots of incoming audio streams)...
A chassis won't add any latency (the only one that did was the Digidesign Expansion HD one that worked a different way). Not saying a chassis is the best way but...

Pete
Old 05-16-2011, 09:38 AM

I don't have a TDM system, so I can only comment from what other people have written.

If you don't need a lots of HD horsepower, it sounds like all you need is a new Mac pro and an HD1. I don't know why you would buy a HD3 system.

A used core card would cut your cost in half.

As for thunderbolt, the main question would be, how long until Avid has a system that is reliable? This could be years away.

I would not be scared in buying older technology if it is reliable, however I would not spend lots on it - hence buying used.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:00 AM

Well, I think Avid is already working on Thunderbolt (Lightpeak for PC).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO0GrdgK2h8

I too am stuck with this delima and have been for a long, long time. If Avid would just shed some light for the TDM users, it would be very helpful.
I did notice at the A.E.S. in London May 2011, Focurist has just introduced RedNet 5 http://news.aesshow.com/2011/05/672/...m_medium=email which seems to be an audio interface and it says that it works with TDM. Not sure if this leads us to believe TDM will still be around for a while, or that this will current TDM users to be able to use the Focusrite product.

Avid, when will TDM users know what their future will be? The Native card doesn't seem to be the answer for real recording (tracking) use.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:05 AM

Probably not what you want to hear, but I built a PC for PTHD, and used my PCI cards. Works perfectly. Years of life left. Total cost uner $1000. No need to upgrade cards, Win 7 Pro is sweet. Pumping out the tunes all day and night.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean shannon View Post
Probably not what you want to hear, but I built a PC for PTHD, and used my PCI cards. Works perfectly. Years of life left. Total cost uner $1000. No need to upgrade cards, Win 7 Pro is sweet. Pumping out the tunes all day and night.
Actually, this is not bad to hear. I have thought of going PC because of my situation. I sue PC's every day as well as MACs. I am starting to think PC or MAC's are so close nowadays, although I must admit I love the way MAC's work better, less problems and I like the OS. But for just running Pro Tools who cares?
Could you tell me what system you built? I might go this way to hold me off until we get to see what Avid has new.
I can't see selling my PCIx cards now, as everyone is selling them for peanuts, not sure why. They work just fine and I can do everything I need to do with them. My Mac is a G-5 dual 1.8 and I need Intel processor to keep up with software develpoment. The PCI-e guys are selling their cards way over priced in my opinion. It is a weird situation being a Pro Tools user now of days. Every since Digidesign went into the home market (MBox, etc..), things have got weird, and more so since Avid has tooken over Digidesign.
Not to get off topic, but I got a buddy producer in Nashiville that runs Logic 9, and happy with it. He got me to thinking about when I first dove into Pro Tools way back when, I was using Cakewalk 3, Logic 3 or 4 with a Motu 2408. Computers just weren't fast enough to do the things I needed to do then. But today, I think computers can do just about what anybody needs with anyones software. So my thought is why Pro Tools? I love their stuff, just not how they have treated the TDM users with PCI-x cards.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:49 AM

I could never get "with it" with Logic, and since they are mac only, I couldn't use it now anyways. But I digress.

When my G5 died, I got the Intel DH55HC motherboard ($99) because it has 3 adjacent PCI slots (Pro Tools HD cards are PCI/PCIX), put a video card, firewire card, and 4G RAM in there, and i7 quad processor, and put it in a rack case. Added a couple SATA drives, Win 7 Pro, and we're golden.

It is my first experience with Win 7, and it is pretty cool, and solid. I just focus on the music, so in that regard, it could be mac or PC, no one cares. I've handed finished files to clients that never knew I was on PC, not that it mattered to them. They just see pro Tools working and their project completed.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:52 AM

I use Sonar and Pro Tools HD. Why PTHD? I love the TDM plugins I have, tracking through them, and the rock solid integration between the software and hardware. Plus, it travels well to other studios, and my investment in hardware and software is still giving me returns.

Most importantly, I like the workflow, and I can work quickly. Sonar does kick butt, too.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:07 PM

Sean...

What version of PT are you running?

Thanks
Old 05-16-2011, 01:27 PM

have looked into MADI interface for PT?

but 1st.. how are you using the 192 and how come u have so many inputs for live mixdown? (in other words, what is your workflow)