Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 01-05-2021, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Fader levels and control surfaces

Just purchased an S3. There's a lot to love about it!

However there are some downsides at least for me.

1. Fader levels below -10 are rounded to the nearest whole number. You can't tell if the value is -10.5 or -10.6 etc. This is a real bummer.

2. I would 100% prioritize showing fader values over pan. In my workflow, showing fader values all the time would be very useful.

3. For values below -10 the command modifier doesn't seem to work to do fine .1 adjustments not that it matters cause I can't see this info on the S3 anyway.

4. On a side note, I wish the S3 faders as well as the software faders moved in .1 increments by default. That would be amazing.

Avid if you're really considering making the fader resolution more fine, please elaborate cause I really want to keep the S3!
Old 01-06-2021, 08:45 AM
Avid

There are thoughts on how to increase the feedback yes, but it means changing a lot of tables and effect all DAW's so not as easy as it may seem. I'd be interested in what the workflow is that requires this though?
Old 01-06-2021, 04:25 PM

Eddie,

Thank you so much for responding! Obviously this is just my workflow and preferences. I'm a mixer by trade so there's a lot back and forth with clients that require minute fader changes. Displaying only whole number differences on levels below -10 doesn't work for me when the requested changes can be smaller. Even if it were .5 increments that would be great. I don't want to guess what the actual fader value is on the S3. I can always look at my computer screen but that kinda defeats the purpose of a control surface at least for me. I personally want the precision of knowing exactly what I'm doing on the S3.

Thank you!
Old 01-06-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban soul View Post
Eddie,

I'm a mixer by trade so there's a lot back and forth with clients that require minute fader changes. Displaying only whole number differences on levels below -10 doesn't work for me when the requested changes can be smaller.
I initially requested this feature in the thread. I totally agree--at bare minimum, the S3 should always show the exact fader value that is displayed in Pro Tools instead of rounding. -10.0 and -10.9 are both shown as -10 on the control surface when there's almost a dB of difference.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:15 PM

I am having an issue with my S1, I got it a couple of weeks ago. Any time I open a session the 3rd fader from the left doesn't follow my mix window or the Avid app control. It stays all the way to +12. It has been like this since day one. I have no idea what is going on. All other settings are as they supposed to be.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

file:///var/folders/fx/f67hf4b10t7d2_6_lq_3h_m40000gn/T/com.apple.iChat/Messages/Images/C1CA618C-3290-4D0B-ABD6-71FB791AE7B5-1000.jpg