Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 03-26-2015, 12:12 PM

Default How can I extend my edit screen to second monitor?

It seems it's always been easy to just grab the bottom right corner of my edit screen and drag it straight over to my second monitor to give me a really nice, long edit screen to work with. Now when I try to do that, dead end, it won't begin to stretch over to the second monitor.

I looked at preferences and the window tab in Pro Tools but can't see what I'm doing wrong. I hope this is still possible. It's one of the main reasons I use two monitors.

I running 11.3 HD on a 2012 MacPro running Yosemite 10.10.2. Hope someone can refresh my memory on how to do this?
Thanks,
Audioeditor
Old 03-27-2015, 10:48 AM

Default Re: How can I extend my edit screen to second monitor?

I'm running 11.3 on MacPro and 2-Sony broadcast displays with switchable DVI inputs. Works like a charm, but I move the mixer to one screen and the edit window on the 2nd. Have you tried that?

With the MIX window open, move it to the 2nd display. Now open the edit window... what happens?
Old 03-27-2015, 06:48 PM

Lightbulb Re: How can I extend my edit screen to second monitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGarman View Post
It seems it's always been easy to just grab the bottom right corner of my edit screen and drag it straight over to my second monitor to give me a really nice, long edit screen to work with. Now when I try to do that, dead end, it won't begin to stretch over to the second monitor.

I looked at preferences and the window tab in Pro Tools but can't see what I'm doing wrong. I hope this is still possible. It's one of the main reasons I use two monitors.
Apple menu-->System Preferences-->Mission Control-->Displays have separate Spaces
Old 03-28-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
Apple menu-->System Preferences-->Mission Control-->Displays have separate Spaces
I thought that was only to remove the menu bar from both screens... am I confused?
Old 03-28-2015, 05:32 PM

Arrow Re: How can I extend my edit screen to second monitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
I thought that was only to remove the menu bar from both screens...
If you do that, does it allow you to have a window span monitors? I cannot test this until Monday at the earliest, and I cannot guarantee that I will either. Short of finding a hack, this would be the only official way to have a window span monitors.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:44 PM

Default How can I extend my edit screen to second monitor?

Sorry, I replied before REALLY reading your reply. I guess I have to question why you would want a single window, edit or mix, to span across dual displays? Isn't the break annoying?

So, NO, I haven't tried that... but:

Yup, have it that way in our HD Truck. Moving windows is normal as before... "Displays have separate spaces" removes the menu bar on the secondary monitor AFTER you reboot. It totally depends on the user as some of my mixers like the option of menu bars on both displays. I'm just old, MacII, school. ;-)
Old 03-30-2015, 09:08 AM

Same size monitors? if the extended desktops are different heights the window width can hit a lip and not continue further.
Try a thinner window-test