Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-29-2009, 03:36 PM

Default Re: RTAS Performance on HD8

I work in a bunch of very real, VERY PROFESSIONAL, very busy, very typical and VERY GORILLA nyc studios like my own. We all run PT-centric DAWs not PT workstations. It may be great, but Linux is out of the question for interfacing with the thousands of clients and their vast array of needs that come through my facility every year.

Shane, I'm a fanboy, you're the opposite, Mr. XP in the middle of the music industry:)
Old 04-29-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
I work in a bunch of very real, VERY PROFESSIONAL, very busy, very typical and VERY GORILLA nyc studios like my own. We all run PT-centric DAWs not PT workstations.
I have no doubt that you're very pro and a master of your craft...with the biased fanboy chants now and then.

Quote:
It may be great, but Linux is out of the question for interfacing with the thousands of clients and their vast array of needs that come through my facility every year.
Linux has already got you linked. Nearly all the world's servers that your stuff passes through run Linux. You're already there. Not to mention this very message you're reading which is coming from a Linux OS straight to your fanboy OSX.

Quote:
Shane, I'm a fanboy, you're the opposite, Mr. XP in the middle of the music industry:)
Well I'm happy to say that I can at least get XP and PT running rock solid in that giant cheese grater computer of yours...along with a full eye candy Linux partition if you like. Since it's a modern "do all" box, we might as well make it into a gaming machine also.(just razzin' ya with friendly banter mate.)

Anywhozel, any ideas on an ideal RTAS II spec?

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-29-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

Shane

yeah,one that works
Old 04-29-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I'd rather see Digi have their own OS(which will never happen). Linux with the real time kernel would be best. Having their own OS would free them from the Apple/Microsoft updates that do nothing but waist Digi resources that end up getting assigned to fixing PT that just got broken from an OS upgrade. These resources could be better spent on development and invovation as the OS would be locked out from change. OSX and Windows are general operating systems that have become over bloated toys.
Although i'm quite a fanboy of OSX, i agree with this a lot!

It's a shame like you say it will never happen.

But having a partition/drive dedicated to pro tools and a it's own stripped down
OS would be great. As long as file format/hardware configs etc didn't get
proprietary.

I still haven't upgraded the HD to 8 yet. 7.4 on tiger PPC running stable so i'll wait.
I did LE recently with my mbox micro and have that really sweet freezing thing
and restart constantly. Kinda tempted to put back in my old drive with tiger and
7.4 but i don't use PT on the laptop enough to bother. :P
Old 04-30-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
I have no doubt that you're very pro and a master of your craft...with the biased fanboy chants now and then.

Linux has already got you linked. Nearly all the world's servers that your stuff passes through run Linux. You're already there. Not to mention this very message you're reading which is coming from a Linux OS straight to your fanboy OSX.

Well I'm happy to say that I can at least get XP and PT running rock solid in that giant cheese grater computer of yours...along with a full eye candy Linux partition if you like. Since it's a modern "do all" box, we might as well make it into a gaming machine also.(just razzin' ya with friendly banter mate.)

Shane
Shane...You are funny. Can I be your friend?
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 04-30-2009, 07:11 AM

Shane..freaking dying too shred, cheese grater in hand, but made a promise earlier.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
Shane..freaking dying too shred, cheese grater in hand, but made a promise earlier.
I'm sure you would've got the last word on me. We'll leave it at that.

On the subject of the cheese grater(Apple computer case), of all the computers I cracked open for maintenance over the years, the cheese grater is top dog to get into and maintain. One of the best designed I've ever worked with. Most PC cases are a nightmare to dig into for maintenance.

Shane

(This post made from a Linux OS. )

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-04-2009, 02:25 PM

_ i've started using Logic in a "rewire" way...splitting up the midi iac bus in the logic environment so each instrument has it's own midi channel...then route the audio via the mac digital out back into protols and trigger the midi from Protools...best of both worlds for me...protools midi editing is actually good now and triggers right away (unlike in logic sometimes when u play stuff and it takes a measure to catch up sometimes) - VI with protools sucks so much still...so this works for me for big grands and strings and and big NI synth stuff...I've even triggered drums and it works great...try it...it's not that difficult to do...