Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 01-01-2013, 10:31 AM

Default How to Record Kontakt 5 Studio Drummer

Though I've been using ProTools since 2005, I've just recently started using Kontakt with Native Instruments' Studio Drummer. I've managed to get an instrument track set up so that I'm getting a good signal in Record mode, but can't get anything to actually record for playback. Something I'm not doing. I figured that instead of trying to solve these issues one question at a time, I'd ask if there are any good tutorials known to the forum users, hopefully for ProTools using Kontak 5, or a similar program.

'Course I wouldn't turn down a quick resolution to the problem at hand either. Am I needing to set up a Midi track as well? What am I missing?

Stumped.

Cayce
Old 01-01-2013, 10:55 AM

Default Re: How to Record Kontakt 5 Studio Drummer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVklpTetKcY
Old 01-01-2013, 01:59 PM

Thanks for that link, yamahadrums. As much as I learned, my problem is still the same: Where are the recorded notes? Why does it appear to be recording, creating as region as I play instruments to be recorded, yet nothing is on the track when I stop recording?

Why is it not recording?
Old 01-01-2013, 02:07 PM

Can you describe step by step what exactly you do?
Old 01-01-2013, 02:17 PM

Default Where-is-my-recording!!!!!

TWO DAYS?!! REALLY?!!!

F-cking with this KONTAKT/STUDIO-DRUMMER joke for two days now, have followed tutorial after tutorial, have EVERYTHING set up so that the Drums track has signal, the record function creates a region, I play notes to be recorded but
NOTHING GETS RECORDED!!!

How many hundreds of dollars of a person's time does it take to get this garbage to work?!!
Old 01-01-2013, 02:21 PM

I did everything in that tutorial. 8 instrument tracks running into a Drums bus to the main Drums track. Put the main Drums track on record, activate the record function, play the instruments in KONTAKT, a region appears to be recording in track one, sound is delivered through the Analog 1-2 output from track one, the meter is bouncing with each hit on the instrument, but nothing gets recorded. Nothing.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayce View Post
I did everything in that tutorial. 8 instrument tracks running into a Drums bus to the main Drums track. Put the main Drums track on record, activate the record function, play the instruments in KONTAKT, a region appears to be recording in track one, sound is delivered through the Analog 1-2 output from track one, the meter is bouncing with each hit on the instrument, but nothing gets recorded. Nothing.
You recording to an audio (not instrument track)?

Post a screenshot online somewhere and a link here showing your mix window with as much stuff showing as you can.

Darryl
Old 01-01-2013, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Where-is-my-recording!!!!!

I have found that most problems resulting in no audio are usually a I/O issue.
Iv never used Kontact so I have no idea what it is. But isnt Kontact a midi instrument or V,I .
If it is you have to have a midi or instrument track. Start with a audio track with its output going to the midi track if I remember correctly.
This is how it works with BOOM so it might be different but most likely not.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:04 PM

Question Re: Where-is-my-recording!!!!!

When the track is record-ready or input ready, and you trigger Kontakt/Studio Drummer with your controller, do you hear the Kontakt/Studio Drummer samples you have loaded?
Old 01-01-2013, 03:14 PM

The tutorial didn't specify an Audio track. All instrument tracks are being bussed into track 1 which is an instrument track, as the tutorial specifies. That is the only track that is record capable.
The attachment I've included shows meters responding to a groove track in Studio Drummer, shows a region being generated in track 1, there is sound coming through my system from the Analog 1-2 outs, but when I stop recording to play back, nothing has been recorded.

Thanks for your help on this. I apologize for my frustration, but it shouldn't be this hard.