Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-1998, 08:10 PM

Default Re: SampleCell Editor wishlist

Henrik

This is no longer Samplecell but "SuperCell"

Keep the dream alive

kev
Old 11-04-1998, 06:15 PM

Samplecell 3 :

512ram - while were expanding it might as well be enough to keep us happy for a few years.
32 TDM outputs - with that much sample room there's got to be lots more outputs -

Add Samplecell tracks into protools.
Volume and panning automation could be done directly in protools and sent to scell. This way you could submix instruments together to send through the available TDM outputs.

More midi channels - at least 4 virtual midi ports - maybe 8.
This goes hand-in-hand with more ram and TDM outputs.

Resonant Filters.

Dual-Mono File support.

Better file support. -
Ability to choose between several file system schemes -
example: store banks in session folder, instruments in sub folder called instruments, and samples in sub folder called samples. -
That would be one file scheme you could select, then when you loaded instruments from CD and said save all - you wouldn't get that - could not save instrument because disk is locked.

If Digidesign makes this card, it will blow the competition out of the water!!!!!
Old 11-05-1998, 03:37 AM

I agree with Evan, sorry, I thought about it but I forgot to put it in my message...

Ofcourse there must be more MIDI ports along with more voices/RAM/outputs etc.

And Kevin, you might just have propped the new name for it; SuperCell, but a dream.. not at all.. check out the spec. on the upcoming DS-1 from Bitheadz at http://www.bitheadz.com and wake up...

Cheers / Henrik
Old 11-05-1998, 10:46 AM

I 'hear hear' all the above.

My 'tuppence worth':

Add feature to be able to read long samples direct from disk ( ALA EAST WESTS GIGASAMPLER ), or from an area in main CPU RAM.

ALSO - how about ALLOWING sc TO link to an add on 'ROM' card into which we can load 3rd pty ROM simms or burn our own EEPROMS for those samples which are used regularly ( similar to the scheme used on the JV2080 ) This would allow say , a really great PIANO sound to be available without waiting to load.
Old 11-06-1998, 10:59 AM

I would like to remember that the subject of this forum is the EDITOR wishlist, no hardware stuff...

I would like TECHSUPT to give some news and answers sometimes, just to help us thinking that this forum is not a bad joke.

TIA
Old 11-07-1998, 04:52 PM

What they Said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-08-1998, 05:19 AM

I think most of the SampleCell users are also ProTools users. Therfore, why not integrate the hole SampleCell software into ProTools, and the ability to store a bank together with a PT session?

Why not make SCIII 24-bit? Or at least let it read 24-bit files. So you can record them in PT24 and don't need to convert them to 16-bit.

16-TDM outputs per card!

Normalize function.

The problem with PT, when you record samples for SC you have to get rid of all the Audio files in the session later. Any idea to avoid that.
First you have to create 1 or two audio tracks. Then record the samples. Bounce it, convert to 16-bit, export, delete unused audio files, delete tracks. That's too much!!! Any idea to make that easier? I really miss my SDII!!
Old 11-09-1998, 09:18 AM

Ability to use Samplecell-system in a different computer as your sequencer, would
be a great improvment. Now, if you use Sc,
as a stand alone sampleplayer, you have to keep some application in front of Sc-editor, to be able to use it as a multitimbral device. Not very flexible.

Old 11-09-1998, 10:35 AM

My wishes for Samplecell! :

-When saving an newly-altered instrument, offer the option of saving as a renamed instrument

-When saving: the option to make a new folder

-MIDI-root-note choice: Allow MIDI keyboard input to choose the "hi" and "lo" notes. In fact, any time a MIDI note is to be input as a parameter on any level, allow the MIDI keyboard to be the input.

-Akai had a nice feature: when mapping keygroups, just sequentially "play" the highest note of Keygroup 1, then Keygroup 2, then Keygroup 3, etc etc. A very quick input method.

-"One Shot"; Am I missing something, or is the only way to get an instrument to play all the way to the end of a sample after a short MIDI note is to make a longer envelope? If so, a "one-shot" parameter would be nice instead.

-TDM: more than 8 outs

-Down/up arrow keys increment last-touched parameter, one number higher or lower per keystroke (very handy for tuning)

-New feature: "Doubling", with a de-tuning parameter, which would halve the voices in an istrument, but each note would play the sample twice, with alterable detuning or panning. Maybe tripling and quadrupling?

-Sample fine-tuning: This parameter currently appears in the "sample" window, but in fact, a change in fine tuning is saved only when the INSTRUMENT is saved, not the SAMPLE... very confusing, and wrong. If it is to be impossible to store this info with the sample, maybe make it clearer by taking that parameter out of the sample window.

-Make it possible to directly save a SAMPLE... the only way to do this now (AFAIK) is to save an instrument, and then save the sample to a "new location", but really saving to the same location, and respond "yes" to writing over the old sample of that name.

-"Save all that's changed" doesn't seem to save all that's changed... especially sample info. Sample saving is confusing (as I mentioned before It would be VERY nice if this choice "Save all that's changed" resulted in a save of the Bank, Instruments, and Samples, all in there respective folders.

-Since Digi suggests 3 folders (banks, instruments, samples), have each entity remember its OWN heirarchy, diskwise, so there is not so much heirarchal hopping around to do a fresh save.

-It's really hard to see narrow sample names in the big keyboard zone window... a horizontally and vertically scalable window would help, as would a nice horizontal sample-name pop-up when you click-and-hold on a zone.

-Sample, instrument, and bank import from other formats.

-Overlapping keygroups would be nice.

-Mono instruments without such limited editing options.

Thanks for listening!

-dp-
Old 11-09-1998, 02:39 PM
Avid

As for many of the PC version requests, keep an eye out in the first quarter of the new year for an improved offering. (I think i can't say any more than that.) We do take your suggestions into account!

Paul Vercellotti
Digi Engineering

Paul Vercellotti
Avid Engineering