Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 08-19-1999, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Why are you still using MLCD?

An interesting question, because yesterday I finally got so fed up and disgusted with MLCD that I went and bought Jam.

My reasons for being "fed up and disgusted" are mainly that I have a very functional, stable and plenty-fast-for-the-task Quadra 650/Audiomedia II system that I use for Audio CD mastering with SDII/MLCD. Unfortunately, the current MLCD versions have dropped all support for NuBus machines. If I want to use a current model of CD writer, my choices were to replace both my machine and audio card (which otherwise is completely unneccessary, as I'm perfectly happy with what I have), or dump MLCD.

Aside from the fact that Jam actually supports all Macs back to *gasp!* 68030 models running *gasp!* System 7.1, it has one very important advantage over MLCD: it lets me record at 4x directly from the playlist without having to first make an image file. I recorded a couple CD's that way last night...worked just fine.

The other important advantage Jam has over MLCD is that it uses no "copy-protection" whatsoever. What a concept...I *won't* have to scramble for key disks if the system drive dies or I want to just re-format the drive for whatever reason.

I fail to understand why if Jam can perform perfectly fine on a six-year-old 68040 machine, why it was "neccessary" for Digi to drop support on all pre-PCI machines (other than attempting to "maximise shareholder value" by attempting to force users into purchasing new PCI hardware).

None too amused,

-Mark

[This message has been edited by J. Mark Andrus (edited 08-19-99).]
Old 08-19-1999, 02:30 PM

Hi Gantt,

Your understanding is basically correct. 2.1.2 is advertised as a B&W G3 version and the installer treats it as such. This is what it was tested for and that's all we support. That's not to say that it won't work on a non B&W G3 if you were to manually install it. It works well on my beige G3 and actually better than previous versions. It's not officially supported, but you're welcome to try it.

Alternatively, if you feel more comfortable using an officially supported configuration, you can wait for MLCD 2.2 which will be coming out soon. This will be a single-app version for all PowerMacs and may work better on your setup.

-- Marc
Old 08-19-1999, 02:41 PM

One comment on Mark's post.

Recent versions of MLCD shouldn't have any trouble burning at 4X without an image file. That might've been problematic with the old NuBus versions, but not anymore.
I can, in fact, burn at 8X without an image file with the upcoming version.

-- Marc
Old 08-20-1999, 08:45 AM

Marc,

I'm interested in trying the 2.1.2 version to see if this will solve my problems. However, I own a G3 333 - the last beige one made - and when I try to install the newest version of MLCD it automatically detect that I have a beige G3 and will only install version 2.1.1. As far as I can tell there is no option to override this automatic detection. Can I get a 2.1.2 only install? Thanks!
Old 08-20-1999, 10:45 AM

Yes, the installer will always pick 2.1.1 for non B&W G3's, so don't use it. If you have the CD, you can browse the CD in Finder and copy 2.1.2 to your hard drive. If you don't have the CD, wait for MLCD 2.2 which will be out soon.

Please post your results if you try it.

Again, this is not officially supported -- consider it to be like beta software. The next version, which is coming soon, will officially support all of the currently supported PCI PowerMacs with a single version of the app.

-- Marc

[This message has been edited by Digi Engineering (edited 08-20-99).]

[This message has been edited by Digi Engineering (edited 08-20-99).]
Old 08-20-1999, 11:46 AM

Marc from Digi Engineering wrote:
"The next version, which is coming soon, will officially support all PowerMacs with a single version of the app."

Does that mean ALL Powermacs, or just the PCI-based ones?

-Mark
Old 08-20-1999, 01:35 PM

I downloaded v.2.1.1 from the Digi update page. I don't have the option of copying 2.1.2 to my HD. How soon will 2.2 be out?
Old 08-20-1999, 03:15 PM

Sorry, next version will support PCI PowerMacs only. By "all", I had meant all of the currently MLCD-supported PCI machines.
We have not tested on any NuBus machines.

That version will be available on the web very soon.

-- Marc
Old 08-22-1999, 01:30 PM

I use MasterList CD because of the older versions' DDP master support.

Because the old versions don't seem to be compatable with version two, I just had my first DDP disaster as a result of trying to use crossfades in MLCD. If DDP support doesn't return really soon, I've got no choice but to move over to a Sadie or Sonic system.

I realize that very few Pro Tools users really do professional CD mastering but it is a real drag to find ourselves "orphaned" by both lack of support for current computer and CD-R hardware and the lack of compatability with versions that do support the hardware we need. It doesn't exactly make for a loyal customer.
Old 08-22-1999, 02:45 PM

Bob,

What is DDP support?