Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2020, 09:10 AM

Default Dell Latitude and Steinberg

Hi everyone
I’m looking to upgrade my extremely old dell precision, mbox2 and pro tools 7 set up. I’ve done a fair bit of research and think I’m going for this laptop:

Dell Latitude 5480 Core i7-7820HQ 7th Generation Quad Core Laptop 32GB Ram 512GB SSD Hard Drive Windows 10 nVidia Graphics

Plus a Steinberg UR-RT4 interface.

And then latest pro tools

Plus I think I need a second drive for playback.

Does that sound like everything covered. It’s a big jump and a lot of money so I want to be sure. Welcome any comments or any issues any can foresee with this set up. Things seem more complex than they used to be (for me anyway!).

Thank you.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Dell Latitude and Steinberg

You may want to double-check on how well the Steinberg interface works with PT before you buy it As for the second drive, 2 things to consider:

#1-Can this laptop swap the optical drive for a second hard drive caddy?(some can, but not all). Adding a second internal SSD would be great.

#2-Given how well SSD's perform, you could also see if Dell offers an upgrade to a larger SSD(like 1 or 2 TB) which would allow decent recording to the internal(system) drive. The only caveat here relates to sample libraries(which traditionally might go on their own separate drive). If you have lots of Virtual Instruments, then maybe keep them on the C: drive(but do get a much larger internal SSD so you can fit everything) and put sessions on an external drive. Depending on available connections, that might be Thunderbolt 3(best case) or USB3(still should be good). In either of these cases, you would want an SSD in the external drive(or at least 7200 rpm). Given the prices of SSD's, spinning drives don't make much sense except for large scale backup(like the 12 TB NAS I have connected)

No matter what route you take, be diligent about backing up sessions to another separate drive at the very least. Best advice here is; if it doesn't exist in at least 3 places, its not properly backed up

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-31-2020, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Dell Latitude and Steinberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
You may want to double-check on how well the Steinberg interface works with PT before you buy it As for the second drive, 2 things to consider:

#1-Can this laptop swap the optical drive for a second hard drive caddy?(some can, but not all). Adding a second internal SSD would be great.

#2-Given how well SSD's perform, you could also see if Dell offers an upgrade to a larger SSD(like 1 or 2 TB) which would allow decent recording to the internal(system) drive. The only caveat here relates to sample libraries(which traditionally might go on their own separate drive). If you have lots of Virtual Instruments, then maybe keep them on the C: drive(but do get a much larger internal SSD so you can fit everything) and put sessions on an external drive. Depending on available connections, that might be Thunderbolt 3(best case) or USB3(still should be good). In either of these cases, you would want an SSD in the external drive(or at least 7200 rpm). Given the prices of SSD's, spinning drives don't make much sense except for large scale backup(like the 12 TB NAS I have connected)

No matter what route you take, be diligent about backing up sessions to another separate drive at the very least. Best advice here is; if it doesn't exist in at least 3 places, its not properly backed up
Thank you!