Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 11-26-2020, 08:22 PM

Default 2x Apollo 16's with SSL Sigma using PT Ultimate

Hi. This is my first post on here!

I have 2 x Apollo 16's that I use with an SSL Sigma and Nucleus 2 control surface.

Does anyone else have a similar setup so I can check what I am doing wrong? I know this is a mixture of UAD and SSL gear and many don't have this setup but it's worth a try.

I usually use my studio with Logic Pro X and had it working ok for me for a long time. Last week I have taken the plunge to set up and learn Pro Tools Ultimate.

I am having a lot of trouble configuring both the Apollo's and Sigma with Pro Tools because the setup is so different. I have set up the UAD Console I/O Matrix as per the instructions from UAD so it limits the I/O to 32 channels. I can send to all 16 stereo inputs of the Sigma but then I am left with no channels at all to set up as inserts in Pro Tools.

I actually bought Pro Tools Ultimate because I wrongly assumed the 32 channel limit was lifted and I could set up a preset similar to the way I used it in Logic. I guess I should have done more research!

My major confusion is with monitoring. I monitor from the main monitor output of the Sigma which goes into one of the UAD inputs so I can record and print the master from the Sigma. The UAD Pro Tools set up instructions say to leave 1-2 Output as the main monitoring output. If I do this, I will then lose one of the Sigma stereo channels which then leaves me with 15 stereo channels. This was never a problem with Logic as there wasn't a channel limit. If anyone has a similar setup or much more experience with Pro Tools, I'd appreciate some advice.

My second problem is with the UAD Console. For a while now, I have had to check the I/O Matrix preset menu on every system reboot because it doesn't seem to stick with the previous preset I had loaded. I then have to manually reload my preset to ensure it is working. What I have also noticed is that the console channels don't change at all when loading a preset. I am thinking it is time for a full reset of the UAD software but I am unsure of how to remove configuration files or simply do a factory reset. There are also no 'default' presets in the console load section or the I/O Matrix for some reason.