Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 10-04-2020, 11:18 AM

Default Cleaning faders?

I have a sticky fader (the first one, naturally), often loses motor control and doesn't output any data until it hits the very top of travel and that usually kicks it back to life. Any use in exploring fader cleaning somehow? Back in the day Colclean used to work wonders sometimes on electrical stuff, but a) I don't know if it still exists or what its replacement might be, or b) if its safe to use on an Artist Mix anyway.

Obvs I can sent it for repair, but thought I'd check this first. Thanks!

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 10-05-2020, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Cleaning faders?

HTH...
Old 10-06-2020, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
I have a sticky fader (the first one, naturally), often loses motor control and doesn't output any data until it hits the very top of travel and that usually kicks it back to life. Any use in exploring fader cleaning somehow? Back in the day Colclean used to work wonders sometimes on electrical stuff, but a) I don't know if it still exists or what its replacement might be, or b) if its safe to use on an Artist Mix anyway.

Obvs I can sent it for repair, but thought I'd check this first. Thanks!
Hi
Had same issue after droping some coffee over the Artist Mix

After cleaning the surface, I sprayed WD40 into the rails of all the faders and let the testprogram run for some time. (You know - move faders up and down automatically). It worked afterwards as expected.

If you have really issues, open the device and clean the fadertrail (as well with WD40). Should work as well.

Otherwise.....by a new one...

Cheers
https://sites.google.com/site/alrecordingstudio/
1pc AVID Artist Control and 1pc Euphonix MC Mix
Win11 64Bit, Cubase Pro 12.0.52
Old 10-06-2020, 06:21 PM

No.

No.

No no no no no.

WD40 is “water displacement formula #40”. It’s not a fader lube. If the fader is sprayed with WD40, it will appear to be better for a time... until it clogs up worse than it ever was when the dust bunnies grow with the WD40 stuck in there. Total pain to remove. Use proper fader cleaning materials from someone like CAIG or MG Chemicals. But before doing ANYTHING with fluid, try compressed air... you may fix it, but you may also make it worse if you blow the dust bunnies INTO the brushes instead of AWAY.

Proper way to do it is the disassembly from your first reply. Disassembly is a pain, but if you can get it back together and you don’t have spare parts left over, your unit should work like new again.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale View Post
No.

No.

No no no no no.

WD40 is “water displacement formula #40”. It’s not a fader lube. If the fader is sprayed with WD40, it will appear to be better for a time... until it clogs up worse than it ever was when the dust bunnies grow with the WD40 stuck in there. Total pain to remove. Use proper fader cleaning materials from someone like CAIG or MG Chemicals. But before doing ANYTHING with fluid, try compressed air... you may fix it, but you may also make it worse if you blow the dust bunnies INTO the brushes instead of AWAY.

Proper way to do it is the disassembly from your first reply. Disassembly is a pain, but if you can get it back together and you don’t have spare parts left over, your unit should work like new again.
Can’t help thinking that if you’re taking the unit apart you might as well just replace the fader with a new one. They’re like £38.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:30 AM

Belated thanks to all. I know Colclean used to be very safe on electrical stuff (unlike WD40) - something like that is the only thing I'd risk trying cos I don't trust myself to take the thing apart and then have it back in one piece! Has no-one tried something like that?

I know Lee Electronics in the UK will swap out for a new fader, but its quite pricey and I'd be without the unit for a while.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 10-13-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Belated thanks to all.
I know Lee Electronics in the UK will swap out for a new fader, but its quite pricey and I'd be without the unit for a while.
As Neale said above... try the compressed air first!