Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 11-28-2020, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Is there a way to make a virtual instrument detect and match what my voice does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
One "trick" you might want to try is to really edit your synth VI voice. I've found that removing all built in fx, especially delays and reverbs, and playing with the envelopes to reduce release and maybe even sharpen the attack helps. You then create the audio from that and then use the audio to MIDI to duplicate the part with another VI. I've found in most cases doing that helps make the audio to midi rendering more accurate, sometimes even spot on.

Of course, you don't always have that luxury if you're using an audio synth track created else where. Then you do have to go in to the MIDI track and do manual note edits.
Thanks - I'll give your advice a shot. Like I said though with the example I used with the kick and snare drums from BFD3 (they have no effects on them) give me two wildly different audio to MIDI results. The drums don't come into the tune until measure 83 and the kick when gone through Melodyne has a note starting at measure one for the kick. Nothing in the MIDI event list of the original drum track.

QAPLA!
Old 11-28-2020, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Is there a way to make a virtual instrument detect and match what my voice does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
How accurate is Melodyne Studio versus the Essential we get free in 2020.11? I've tried some things where I try and get the MIDI out of audio that was done by a MIDI-driven vi and it's not always accurate.
I don't find either version to be better or worse, and either will require some editing of the resulting midi file. while it does seem to improve with each numerical release, there's lots of reasons why the results vary(consider how many nuances the human voice has). I doubt there is a perfect solution to your wish

One last bit of important info: Melodyne can only have 1 installation on any given setup(their shortcoming, not Avid's). Example; I had Melodyne Studio version 4 and wanted to try the audio to midi feature, so I installed Melodyne Essentials 5. When I did that, the installer removed the old version(which has features I need). In the end, I decided that it was worth upgrading to Studio 5.1(which has a lot of new stuff in addition to the audio to midi from Essentials 5).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-29-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Thanks - I'll give your advice a shot. Like I said though with the example I used with the kick and snare drums from BFD3 (they have no effects on them) give me two wildly different audio to MIDI results. The drums don't come into the tune until measure 83 and the kick when gone through Melodyne has a note starting at measure one for the kick. Nothing in the MIDI event list of the original drum track.

Yeah, I don't know what might work best for that. You might try changing the drum sounds just to create the audio file to create MIDI from. What I've found in doing audio to MIDI is that the crisper, sharper the audio track, the better the resulting audio to midi rendering.