Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 01-07-2012, 07:39 AM

Default Re: Notation/Score editor unusable with large scoring templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylG View Post
I see. Thanks for that snappy reply.

Maybe it is a bug, but it would seem to me that the score editor would be an ideal candidate for including in some sort of RAM cache, so I'm wondering why Avid chose not to do that. Maybe because the core clientèle of Pro Tools don't use it?

D
Definitely a bug. It isn't just that it opens painfully slowly, but that PT also stacks every track into the notation editor the first time (sometimes everytime) you open a clip in it - creating big splotch of black. I usually have to go to the track list and click on a few tracks to get it to just show the one - then it shows the whole track, not just the selected clip.

I don't think the notation editor/midi is that much of a ram hog to really require ram cache, though it certainly wouldn't hurt. I think most people are like me and just use it to transfer scores to Sibelius (where ram would be more necessary).

But I rather doubt that's even the problem here.

PT8, 9 and 10 have all had the notation editor issue. PT scans every track to update it's display characteristics when you first access the notation view/score editor, and it seems to go back and scan some other aspect of every track/clip every time it tries to open, which is why it takes forever. This delay is now in other aspects of midi editing, so it seems whatever code was implemented for other PT10 updates has put midi way down the scanning priority list so the more tracks you have, the longer it takes to open the score editor, edit tempo points, record enable/stop recording, etc.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:11 AM

Frustrated over here...

Why even have a score editor if vi's don't really work well (or at all in some cases.) in PT? I mean, score conjures up images of 100 midi tracks and perfect notation.

I have to print everything because PT sux with VI's. One edit on an audio track and every notation is wrong!

Please don't tell me to edit my printed midi and audio together.....

Fix PT! We have waited long enough!

Rubicon

MP 2019 28 core, 384gb 8T
Old 01-07-2012, 08:30 AM

To snap, or not to snap, that is the question.

To boldly snap, where no program has snapped before...

Are we there yet? Is not Sibelius already 64 bit?
Old 01-09-2012, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dterry View Post
I don't think the notation editor/midi is that much of a ram hog to really require ram cache, though it certainly wouldn't hurt. I think most people are like me and just use it to transfer scores to Sibelius (where ram would be more necessary).
Yes, but if the score details were calculated in the background and then loaded into RAM, opening and closing the score would be instantaneous. Anything calculations that slow down the computer, but could be calculated in advance, are good candidates for loading into a RAM cache, IMO. Obviously every time something changed, the score would have to be updated, but most people wouldn't update 200 MIDI tacks at the same time, so it could even be a simple as only calculating the tracks that weren't currently selected to work on.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
Old 01-09-2012, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajack View Post
Is not Sibelius already 64 bit?
Yes.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
Old 01-09-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylG View Post
Yes, but if the score details were calculated in the background and then loaded into RAM, opening and closing the score would be instantaneous. Anything calculations that slow down the computer, but could be calculated in advance, are good candidates for loading into a RAM cache, IMO. Obviously every time something changed, the score would have to be updated, but most people wouldn't update 200 MIDI tacks at the same time, so it could even be a simple as only calculating the tracks that weren't currently selected to work on.

D
This isn't the issue though. Try opening a single clip in the notation editor in Nuendo with a couple hundred empty midi tracks in the projec - no delay. I had no problems with Nuendo opening notation editing within my 300 track template even under WinXP/32 bit.

With PT10, opening a single clip in a standard scoring template (no other clips or events), will take a very long time; and then PT layers a staff view for every single track into the notation editor. I'll post a screen cap later - it's a rather huge mess to work with. Ram caching won't solve this one - it's a bug in track management.

I don't see this kind of problem with Sibelius 6 on the same system.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Ram caching won't solve this one - it's a bug in track management.
+1
Old 01-10-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
...Basically, the score editor/transfer to Sibelius is completely unusable in PT10 with my typical, 200+ midi track scoring template....
Just to clarify, are you using PT10, PT10 with CPT, or PT10HD without the HD hardware?

And are you using Sibelius 6, Sibelius 7 or Sibelius 7.1?
Old 01-10-2012, 12:37 PM

PT10 with CPTK and Sibelius 6.

This has been a problem since PT8 but seems to be a little worse in 10.

If or when I get the notation editor opened with only the selected clips or tracks the transfer into Sibelius is fine.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Definitely a bug. It isn't just that it opens painfully slowly, but that PT also stacks every track into the notation editor the first time (sometimes everytime) you open a clip in it - creating big splotch of black. I usually have to go to the track list and click on a few tracks to get it to just show the one - then it shows the whole track, not just the selected clip.
This is a real pain, agreed. It would be great if it would just remember the last displayed tracks list. Also, copy and paste to Sibelius would be good.